Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 09:32 AM
RE: Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts.

Why is it I can plant a potato in a country, but I can't plant a potato in a god? Checkmate, BOOOOOOM!

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction.

This is acceptable, since atheism requires no knowledge of geography. That, and we have maps of countries, which appear to be literal representations of their shapes, sizes, and contents.

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think?

When you go to atheism camp, as we all did, the great elders demand that we obsess over the thoughts of all of mankind. You are not allowed to go home until you demonstrate proper obsession. Some of us are forced to stay at camp for years; the elders are difficult to please.

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys?

You already are. You sought us out, created an account, and made a post. Welcome to the club!

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts...

Actually, the term atheist represents a religion of science and a devotion to our savior Christopher Dawkins and Richard Hitchens (may he rise again). Spread the word.

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

See above re: Atheist Camp.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like guitar_nut's post
16-02-2015, 09:37 AM
July 3,1776 -- there was No country
July 4, 1776 -- now there is a country.

The only thing that happened was some guys made a declaration. Thats it. Land and/or people didn't just show up on July 4, 1776. So a 'country' is not land or people. Its just somebody's make believe idea that is forced onto us all.

Factually, a 'country' is just an opinion, just like a 'god.'
16-02-2015, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2015 09:43 AM by kim.)
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy? 

In the "abstract concept" known to be called (by some) "USA", a group known to exist within that concept has been singled out and openly prohibited from holding public office in at least seven of it's "states". In this "USA", it is written into this "country's" constitution that such prohibition is unconstitutional. Why the hypocrisy? Isn't "atheists" just another "abstract concept"? If you reside in this "USA", maybe you should tell others about these "abstract concepts".

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think? I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

Last I heard, no one is able to know what another individual "thinks". So Anti, are you obsessed with what you seem to think all atheists think? You seem able to gather "atheists" all under one label and judge without experience. You've stated you "could care less" about anybody's beliefs so, why would you care about what someone doesn't believe?

I don't give a shit about what someone thinks. If someone treats me or others (including you), especially a child, in an unhealthy manner, I give a shit.... not because I'm atheist but, because I'm human.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-02-2015, 09:39 AM
(16-02-2015 09:37 AM)Anti Wrote:  ...

Yabut. Not a real country.

They forgot to appoint a king.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-02-2015, 09:43 AM
(16-02-2015 09:32 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Why is it I can plant a potato in a country, but I can't plant a potato in a god?

You don't need underwear to plant a potato.

(16-02-2015 09:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 09:37 AM)Anti Wrote:  ...

Yabut. Not a real country.

They forgot to appoint a king.

Drinking Beverage

From what I'm told it just took us a while.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-02-2015, 09:45 AM
(16-02-2015 09:37 AM)Anti Wrote:  July 3,1776 -- there was No country

The only thing that happened was some guys made a declaration. Thats it. Land and/or people didn't just show up on July 4, 1776. So a 'country' is not land or people. Its just somebody's make believe idea that is forced onto us all.

Factually, a 'country' is just an opinion, just like a 'god.'

No, there wasn't. They weren't a country at that time, they had no formalized government. They were an independent provenance. And they still weren't that, since they hadn't removed foreign military influence, at that point they were a colony in rebellion. It wasn't until the Treaty of Paris that they ceased being part of the British Empire, and they couldn't be counted as a proper country until they drafted a new form of government with the Articles of Confederation.
[+] 6 users Like natachan's post
16-02-2015, 09:46 AM
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy? 

A country exists in so much as we say it does. It's a collection of beliefs that forms a system which the majority of people agree to follow. Regardless of the system being abstract, when people agree to follow it, there are very real, observable effects.

No one has ever demonstrated that any gods exist, or that they have real, observable effects. I don't think these two things are "the exact same thing".

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think?

Are all atheists obsessed with what others think? Are any theists obsessed with what other people think? I get the feeling that you're counting your hits and ignoring your misses, or painting with broad strokes, at a minimum.

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

Did you mean you couldn't care less about anyone's religious beliefs?

I don't care about other's beliefs, so long as they don't try to affect my life with them. If someone doesn't want to drink or buy alcohol on Sundays, whatever; however, I am going to take exception if they tell me I can't buy alcohol on Sunday. Do you see the difference?

And, yes, the term "atheism" is a direct, logical negation of theism. It is sort of odd that we have to have a term for not believing in gods when we don't have one for not believing in leprechauns, but that's sort of how languages work. They aren't always formed sensibly.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-02-2015, 09:47 AM
(16-02-2015 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  (only if risk is managed by the use of button flies).

Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Oh FFS!

Why do these people who don't like us think they have to be here? Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Rob says "A country exists in so much as we say it does. It's a collection of beliefs...."

You couldve just stopped there. Thats all it is. How is that different from religion?