Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Atheist hypocrisy and obsession questions
[Image: Baarle-Nassau_fronti%C3%A8re_caf%C3%A9.jpg]

This is the Netherlands/Belgium border. Are you saying that the laws are going to be the same (or none) at either side of the line?

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
(16-02-2015 11:00 AM)Anti Wrote:  Hey Rob, enough with the word games. just tell me factually what exactly is a 'country' if you think its something other than just someone's opinion.

That's exactly what I said it was.

Now, how about you address the parts that were talking about your second paragraph, which has nothing to do with "god and country"?

I'll even repost it for you:

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think?

Are all atheists obsessed with what others think? Are any theists obsessed with what other people think? I get the feeling that you're counting your hits and ignoring your misses, or painting with broad strokes, at a minimum.

(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

Did you mean you couldn't care less about anyone's religious beliefs?

I don't care about other's beliefs, so long as they don't try to affect my life with them. If someone doesn't want to drink or buy alcohol on Sundays, whatever; however, I am going to take exception if they tell me I can't buy alcohol on Sunday. Do you see the difference?

And, yes, the term "atheism" is a direct, logical negation of theism. It is sort of odd that we have to have a term for not believing in gods when we don't have one for not believing in leprechauns, but that's sort of how languages work. They aren't always formed sensibly.
(16-02-2015 10:04 AM)Anti Wrote:  Rob says "A country exists in so much as we say it does. It's a collection of beliefs...."

You couldve just stopped there. Thats all it is. How is that different from religion?

Religions just like countries exist...
16-02-2015, 11:04 AM
(16-02-2015 10:11 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've done a lot of things in my panties, but planting potatoes ain't one of them.

Perhaps planting cucumbers? Wink

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
16-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Ptolemaic theory and Copernican theory are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just theories.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-02-2015, 11:05 AM
(16-02-2015 08:20 AM)Anti Wrote:  1. A 'god' and a 'country' are both factually the exact same thing. Both are just abstract concepts. One is a political abstraction, the other is a religious abstraction. They are both factually the same yet every atheist I talk to seems to think 'countries' are something more than just a mere abstraction. If reifying a 'god' is religion then isn't the reification of a 'country' also religion? Why the hypocrisy? 

2. Why are atheists obsessed with what other people think? I could care less about anybody's religious beliefs. Should I be obsessing like you guys? Even the term 'atheist' is based on resenting somebody else's thoughts... Labels are silly to begin with yet labeling yourself based other people's thoughts is a bit obsessive, don't you think?

*Sigh*

Just shutup and quietly go away, please.

Thank you.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
16-02-2015, 11:05 AM
(16-02-2015 11:02 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Religions just like countries exist...
They exist only as somebody's subjective beliefs.

Try to pay attention.
16-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Hey Rob, if there is some 'law' against buying alcohol that you don't like then that is a political issue. 'laws' are political abstractions.
16-02-2015, 11:09 AM
(16-02-2015 11:00 AM)Anti Wrote:  Hey Rob, enough with the word games.

Says the pot to the kettle.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-02-2015, 11:10 AM
(16-02-2015 11:02 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  This is the Netherlands/Belgium border. Are you saying that the laws are going to be the same (or none) at either side of the line?
No one was talking about 'laws.' Which by the way are also factually only just some people's opinions.