Atheist in a VERY religious country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Atheist in a VERY religious country
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum. Where to start?
Well, i live in a highly religious Catholic country in Asia. Being an atheist here can be SUCH a b**** because so many people here have a lot of negative views on atheists. Most, if not all, of my family are dovoutly religious.
I became an atheist only two years ago but i have no regrets even though my family keeps on trying to reconvert me since i came out last year. Even though i only admitted to myself that I was an atheist for purely scientific reasons, i came to realize i also left for moral reasons. If the Christian God was real, i'll rather go to hell than accept this monster as the foundation for my morality.
Don't get me wrong, i don't have any problem with the people practicing the religion. But it's no wonder no one takes "holy writings" literally these days. You can go to jail for that!
Are there any other atheists or agnostics here living in countries where atheists are severely discriminated against?

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes knowlegelover's post
26-07-2013, 02:14 PM
RE: Atheist in a VERY religious country
Which country of Asia are you from ?
26-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Oh, the Philippines. It's not a very well known country

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

27-07-2013, 08:08 AM
(26-07-2013 06:15 PM)knowlegelover Wrote:  Oh, the Philippines. It's not a very well known country

Hello kababayan. Big Grin

Sorry to hear about your problems. I posted an answer in the other thread you started, but I'll summarize it here as well. Don't expect acceptance instantly. Try to be the same upright, moral individual you are despite your unbelief. Tell your family to respect your unbelief like you respect their belief (You DO respect their belief, right?). Tongue

Have you been to the Philippine Freethinkers websites? They have some great articles there which should fascinate you.

And, just a bone to pick, our country is kinda well known. However, we are not only known for our merits, but also for our failings. Par for course, I'd say.

Welcome to the forum!

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
27-07-2013, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 08:57 AM by knowlegelover.)
Of course I respect their beliefs. I'm ecstatic that they even took me seriously, and i would never insult or ridicule my family. I love them too much. Smile

And just so it's clear, i'm proud to be filipino! So maraming salamat to you, fellow filipino! Thanks for the warm welcome.

P. S. Yeah, i've been to that website. I've always been curious about the state of atheism in our country.

27-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Does that mean it's dangerous too?

[Image: 9f6.gif]
27-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Elk, are you asking if the Philippines is a dangerous country because of the extreme religiosity? Right now i would say no. I think what KL is talking about is the discrimination that results if you reveal your atheism. From what i have gathered since starting my journey into atheism, the Philippines lacks the politically powerful fundamentalists that the US (for example) has. However the christian sects do exploit the ignorant masses (and non-masses) for their own benefit. And policy making in our government is lobbied heavily by the CBCP (agents of the vatican). As a result our progress has been curtailed for decades. We are fighting it now despite our few numbers.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
27-07-2013, 04:31 PM
(27-07-2013 08:52 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  Of course I respect their beliefs. I'm ecstatic that they even took me seriously, and i would never insult or ridicule my family. I love them too much. Smile

And just so it's clear, i'm proud to be filipino! So maraming salamat to you, fellow filipino! Thanks for the warm welcome.

P. S. Yeah, i've been to that website. I've always been curious about the state of atheism in our country.

Great to know that you are very patient with them, even if it is difficult. Personally i have a hard ti e dealing with hypocrisy myself. Nice to know a countryman on this forum! We will see each other again i'm sure. Here or in other forums. Keep up the freethinking and give a holler if and when you can!

27-07-2013, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 05:46 PM by knowlegelover.)
I think it's really likely that i will meet you since i am a frequent visitor of other forums. I'm mostly a lurker on forums but i'm glad to break my silence here. I think i will do the same on the others. Big Grin

Ivaneus, i'm really curious. Are there any other filipinos you know here on thethinkingatheist?

27-07-2013, 06:38 PM
(27-07-2013 05:37 PM)knowlegelover Wrote:  I think it's really likely that i will meet you since i am a frequent visitor of other forums. I'm mostly a lurker on forums but i'm glad to break my silence here. I think i will do the same on the others. Big Grin

Ivaneus, i'm really curious. Are there any other filipinos you know here on thethinkingatheist?

I'm a lurker myself. And I'm only actively lurking in this forum. I have vistied The Friendly Atheist and The Atheist Republic but I only have time to maintain one presence right now. Since TTA (c/o Seth) has been instrumental in my own deconversion I decided to stay here for the meantime. Big Grin As far as I know, you and I are the only Filipinos that I know of here.

It's quite possibly caused by a combination of internet access availability and religious indocrination. That's why there aren't any Filipinos that are outing themselves as of yet. I myself was misconstrued as extremely militant by my family when I told them of my deconversion. They asked me why I was so angry at religion, when I was the only one whose voice was not raised. And to think they are more level headed than most. Imagine other people's parents who are so thoroughly indoctrinated. Their parents would probably jail them in a convent or seminary. Thinking they are Angel but they are actually Evil_monster