Atheist in a VERY religious country
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Atheist in a VERY religious country
I posted this in the other thread, but i feel like it applies here too.

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum. Where to start?
Well, i live in a highly religious Catholic country in Asia. Being an atheist here can be SUCH a b**** because so many people here have a lot of negative views on atheists. Most, if not all, of my family are dovoutly religious.
I became an atheist only two years ago but i have no regrets even though my family keeps on trying to reconvert me since i came out last year. Even though i only admitted to myself that I was an atheist for purely scientific reasons, i came to realize i also left for moral reasons. If the Christian God was real, i'll rather go to hell than accept this monster as the foundation for my morality.
Don't get me wrong, i don't have any problem with the people practicing the religion. But it's no wonder no one takes "holy writings" literally these days. You can go to jail for that!
Are there any other atheists or agnostics here living in countries where atheists are severely discriminated against?

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like knowlegelover's post
26-07-2013, 05:05 PM
RE: Atheist in a VERY religious country
(26-07-2013 07:47 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  I posted this in the other thread, but i feel like it applies here too.

Well, i live in a highly religious Catholic country in Asia. Being an atheist here can be SUCH a b**** because so many people here have a lot of negative views on atheists. Most, if not all, of my family are dovoutly religious.
I became an atheist only two years ago but i have no regrets even though my family keeps on trying to reconvert me since i came out last year. Even though i only admitted to myself that I was an atheist for purely scientific reasons, i came to realize i also left for moral reasons. If the Christian God was real, i'll rather go to hell than accept this monster as the foundation for my morality.
Don't get me wrong, i don't have any problem with the people practicing the religion. But it's no wonder no one takes "holy writings" literally these days. You can go to jail for that!
Are there any other atheists or agnostics here living in countries where atheists are severely discriminated against?

Hi there KL. I know how you feel, we are on the same boat. I think we may even live in the same religious country, as there is only one remaining major christian country in asia that i know of. Anyway, try to tell your family to respect your unbelief as you respect theirs. But do not expect that they will understand you immediately. Remember that religion (especially christianity) indoctrinates from birth. And no brainwashing is stronger than religion. Try to be calm, show them that you are still a good moral person (albeit more moral than most religious folk) without religion.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
26-07-2013, 05:18 PM
The Philippines?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2013, 06:10 PM
(26-07-2013 07:47 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  I posted this in the other thread, but i feel like it applies here too.

People in the "Bible belt" (the South ... in some places, and probably many other places) in the US, can be fired if their bosses find out they are non-believers, They would dance around, and say other words, but that's a fact. People have come here and discussed it. It may not be that overt, but it happens.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

26-07-2013, 08:16 PM

It may be applicable in both sections, but there's no need to have two of the same thread.

Thread closed. Please see the thread bearing the same title in the intro section for further discussion.

Just visiting.

-SR
Thread Closed