Atheist in a VERY religious country

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 07:08 AM by knowlegelover.)
RE: Atheist in a VERY religious country
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Don't the Christians know the more you shove religion down a person's throat the more they will be off-put by it? No wonder so many millenials are leaving the church to pray at home. It kind of sickens me that they still push ahead to try to make their churches into "cool" poorly disguised businesses designed to exploit people's fear of hell and delusions of heaven.

I very much think that there are more of us than we realize, because i belong to a fairly large, fairly inconspicuous group of atheists and agnostics where half the members are still deeply in the closet and haven't revealed it to their close friends and family in fear of being rejected. So even though we think religion has a firm grasp on our country, people's beliefs might be waning more than we realize.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 10:52 PM
(27-07-2013 06:55 PM)knowlegelover Wrote:  Tsk, tsk, tsk. Don't the Christians know the more you shove religion down a person's throat the more they will be off-put by it? No wonder so many millenials are leaving the church to pray at home. It kind of sickens me that they still push ahead to try to make their churches into "cool" poorly disguised businesses designed to exploit people's fear of hell and delusions of heaven.

I very much think that there are more of us than we realize, because i belong to a fairly large, fairly inconspicuous group of atheists and agnostics where half the members are still deeply in the closet and haven't revealed it to their close friends and family in fear of being rejected. So even though we think religion has a firm grasp on our country, people's beliefs might be waning more than we realize.

I suspect you are right. I hope we can see the change within our lifetimes. Smile

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
30-07-2013, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 02:24 AM by knowlegelover.)
Though it may be ironic to say this, im praying for it. Wink

Just asking-- do you attend or know of any atheist conventions or meetings in the Philippines? I myself haven't been to any and i am curious as to how the general public views them as well as what goes on in these types of events. I have been planning to go to one but as i am terribly busy right now i don't know if it is worth my time.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

30-07-2013, 03:40 AM
That...really sucks. Filipinos are nuts about Jesus. Real fucking nuts. You guys make the bible belt look like Norway. Anyway, welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for here.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
30-07-2013, 04:05 AM
(30-07-2013 03:40 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  That...really sucks. Filipinos are nuts about Jesus. Real fucking nuts. You guys make the bible belt look like Norway. Anyway, welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for here.

I for one am feeling lucky that i don't live in Saudi Arabia...or the other countries that are notorious for imprisoning or executing atheists.

At least we have (somewhat) free speech when it comes to our beliefs. I am a person who likes to see the positive side of things. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes knowlegelover's post
30-07-2013, 04:09 AM
(30-07-2013 04:05 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 03:40 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  That...really sucks. Filipinos are nuts about Jesus. Real fucking nuts. You guys make the bible belt look like Norway. Anyway, welcome. Hope you find what you're looking for here.

I for one am feeling lucky that i don't live in Saudi Arabia...or the other countries that are notorious for imprisoning or executing atheists.

At least we have (somewhat) free speech when it comes to our beliefs. I am a person who likes to see the positive side of things. Smile

Good for you Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
06-08-2013, 07:49 AM
(30-07-2013 02:15 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  Though it may be ironic to say this, im praying for it. Wink

Just asking-- do you attend or know of any atheist conventions or meetings in the Philippines? I myself haven't been to any and i am curious as to how the general public views them as well as what goes on in these types of events. I have been planning to go to one but as i am terribly busy right now i don't know if it is worth my time.

Hi again! Sorry this is a late reply. I've been a bit busy with my kid. He was sick for a while. To your question, I am afraid the only meetups I know of are the FFT meetups. I have always wanted to go to one of those but they are mostly in metro manila. You can try those if you want. Tell me about it when you do. Big Grin

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
06-08-2013, 08:15 AM
(27-07-2013 06:38 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  ...
As far as I know, you and I are the only Filipinos that I know of here.

There have been a couple of others (well, one Filipino and one Filipina) but I forget their user names for now as they haven't been active for a while.

If I recall them, I've let you know.

06-08-2013, 06:08 PM
(06-08-2013 08:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 06:38 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  ...
As far as I know, you and I are the only Filipinos that I know of here.

There have been a couple of others (well, one Filipino and one Filipina) but I forget their user names for now as they haven't been active for a while.

If I recall them, I've let you know.

Thanks a bunch DLJ! Maybe with enough of us we can organize our own meetups here. Smile

06-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi I'm originally from the Midwest but I'm currently residing in the Southern US. Murfreesboro Tennessee to be exact. Not only are these tiny town bumpkins anti-Atheist, They are anti-gay. They are racist. They are antiscience. They are antianimal rights. Dear anti-everything! And me being a blind black bisexual woman I'm about as welcome here as dry rot. And they sure as hell don't like my Yankee ass. They think I'm uppity. They want me to know my place. Of course they're slightly less racist towards me being that I'm blind. But once they find out you're in atheist you might as well bring out the lynch mob.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user