Atheist in catholic school and only other atheist committed suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Atheist in catholic school and only other atheist committed suicide
Hi, I am 17 and I go to a catholic school, however I am an atheist and a liberal. I often feel very isolated. I often want to vent about my views, but at school and at home people disagree with me. This weekend, the only other atheist and liberal who I could actually talk to committed suicide. Not only do I have to deal with the loss of a close friend, but every other person is conservative and religious.
I am glad that I am not religious. According to catholic teaching, my friend is in hell right now for atheism and for suicide. I am glad that I do not have to believe that. I simply believe that he is no longer sad.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2014, 03:52 PM
RE: Atheist in catholic school and only other atheist committed suicide
I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend.

Sending you Hug

Do you have friends outside of school that aren't as focused on religion? Post here, but continue to look for groups in your area. Its important to be able to just have every day conversations with like minded people. I found a facebook group that is a group of atheists in my area that meet regularly. Try the AHA.org website, do some googling, try meetup.com

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-04-2014, 05:06 PM
So sorry to hear about your friend. I suspect there are more atheist at your school than you realize. My kids go to a catholic high school and they have more than hinted to me they are atheist. They keep their mouth closed for the most part to not have to deal with crap from teachers and the religious students.
28-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Do you have friends outside of school that aren't as focused on religion? Post here, but continue to look for groups in your area. Its important to be able to just have every day conversations with like minded people. I found a facebook group that is a group of atheists in my area that meet regularly.

My friends at school all know I am atheist, but I have kept it a secret from my parents because they signed me up for confirmation and relatives are coming from across the country for my confirmation. I do not dare ruin that. Another reason I have not told my parents is because they assert themselves as religious authority and atheism, in their eyes, would be defying authority on the same level as any other defiance. I can't go around meeting other atheists.
28-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Good luck with the conformation. My girls said they did not want to do it. Mom insisted but I shut it down. The Catholic Church says it is the adult initiation and as far as I am concerned adults get to decide for themselves. Enjoy seeing the out of town family and try to make the best of it.
28-04-2014, 05:19 PM
what are your plans after high school? Are you finishing your junior or senior year?

There is a teen forum here on TTA. Many of the teens that post here are in the same situation as you (living with theist parents).

Find a way to get out.....a job, college away from home, an apartment with friends. The quicker you can become self supporting the easier it will be.

Many teens keep quiet till they can get away to college. Distance provides some freedom to be who they want and to explore. Also, universities have work-study programs and businesses that can help pay the bills, even if you are just waiting tables and living in the dorms.

Also, you can look into the SSA, student secular alliance. They have chapters at many schools (high school and college).

And hang out here....even if it is just for chit chat Yes

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Guten Abend!

I live in the conservative catholic alps.

The place where facism, cowfucking and incest marriege comes from.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Germans are coming's post
28-04-2014, 05:52 PM
(28-04-2014 05:24 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Guten Abend!

So worldatheist2, the moral of the story is that all of the haters at your school are closet cow fuckers! So who cares what tbey think! Laugh out load

In seriousness, sorry to hear about your friend. You've already had good advice, find the right people, this forum is here too!

Good luck! Thumbsup

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
28-04-2014, 07:03 PM
(28-04-2014 05:24 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Guten Abend!

Cowfucking and incest marriage came from the Appalachian area where DarkLight lives. Sheepfucking came from earmuffs 'cause he knows how to make them bahhhh. Germans get to keep fascism only 'cause no one from Appalachia knows what the fuck that even means.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-04-2014, 09:54 AM
(28-04-2014 03:44 PM)worldatheist2 Wrote:  Hi, I am 17 and I go to a catholic school, however I am an atheist and a liberal. I often feel very isolated. I often want to vent about my views, but at school and at home people disagree with me. This weekend, the only other atheist and liberal who I could actually talk to committed suicide. Not only do I have to deal with the loss of a close friend, but every other person is conservative and religious.
I am glad that I am not religious. According to catholic teaching, my friend is in hell right now for atheism and for suicide. I am glad that I do not have to believe that. I simply believe that he is no longer sad.
I am very sorry that you have to go through such a situation, especially at your age, and I am also sorry that your friend found his death as his only exit, although I can only respect your friend's handling of his own life.

If you can, try not to despair; not every one in this planet is conservative and religious. You will eventually finish school and you'll be able to choose your environment, at least to some extent. Meanwhile, as well as non-theists beyond your catholic school, there are also imaginary places like this one, where you can vent about your views.

I wish you the best of luck.
[+] 1 user Likes living thing's post