"Atheist kids songs"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 09:06 PM
"Atheist kids songs"
lol, a friend (very religious) posted this video on fb, thought I'd see what you all made of it. I admit, I laughed a little. You'd probably have to be familiar with the christian versions of the songs though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26nJjNDsbmk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 09:24 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
RE: "Atheist kids songs"
SMBC Wrote:Twinkle, twinkle little star/
It is known you're a pulsar/
Away from us is how you drift/
It is known by your red shift/
Twinkle, twinkle little star/
Degen'rate matter's what you are/

I'd vaguely heard of Jim Hawkings before and I think he's a dick but that was genuinely funny. Good patter, escelated well, subversion of expectations. Really that's all you can ask for. (I presume he has dumber, more offensive stuff elsewhere but I liked that.)

Edit: I know Tim Hawkin_s. Dumb mistake.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
12-11-2014, 09:28 PM
(12-11-2014 09:06 PM)OlafsNose Wrote:  lol, a friend (very religious) posted this video on fb, thought I'd see what you all made of it. I admit, I laughed a little. You'd probably have to be familiar with the christian versions of the songs though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26nJjNDsbmk

Embedding the video. Protip: [video=youtube]paste youtube link here[/video] Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
13-11-2014, 03:04 AM
that video was stupid.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
13-11-2014, 03:08 AM
^Agreed but did you like it? If not; why not?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

13-11-2014, 03:42 AM
It just wasn't funny is all. Its basically making fun of us and making false assertions and crap.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
13-11-2014, 06:35 AM
^He's projecting and that's exactly why it's funny. (Though admittedly Jesus Loves the Little Children is an inherently funny song.)

Literally the first place his mind goes isn't the bullshit "form a relationship with god" stuff. It's not the communal wellbeing-ness of it, it's not even the insight you can gain into your religious beliefs, it's the affirmation of faith through shared experience and an emotional reaction to stimuli. The dude is framing the sketch as being flow of consciousness and shaping the audiences expectations in the same way; that's what I mean when I say he has good patter.

OK it's not necessarily fair to say that he's directly going to afirmation. This is in the middle of a larger act. He might have provided context elsewhere. Don't care.

The point is that the rhythm of the bit is: Presupposed similarity, lie, admit to the entire concept being a circlejerk, affirmation of presupposition, lie. He literally says that the participants at "Athiest Church" are "Wallowing in your unbelief." The humour rises from the presumed truth of that statement. He started the by directly stating that this version of church is just a new context of the original.

Nobody there notices or cares. It's hilarious.

18-11-2014, 08:58 PM
"Atheist kids songs"
That's funny

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
19-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Admittedly, I laughed. Offensive, but I laughed. Wouldn't be the first comedian that's a dick, nor the first Christian.

I liked the parody to Jesus loves me. "If you're weak you won't survive."

He makes an interesting point - what would you do at an atheist mega church?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
20-11-2014, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 06:17 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
"Atheist kids songs"
I mean yeah it's incorrect and illogical but gotta be able to laugh at urself. From their delusional perspective it IS pretty funny

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein