Atheist morality.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 10:42 PM
RE: Atheist morality.
We need a "beating a dead horse" emoticon.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2014, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 10:02 AM by StorMFront.)
(14-11-2014 10:42 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  We need a "beating a dead horse" emoticon.

Which even beating a dead horse could be moral and ethical in a subjective situation. Let us say the horse recently died and some clown decided to climb into its anus. Would it not be ethical to beat the horse to try to get him out? Or perhaps it wouldn't be in another culture where they think going up a dead horses anus is sacred. Therefore we would be in the wrong for beating that horse to try to get that person out.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
Find all posts by this user
14-11-2014, 10:56 PM
(14-11-2014 10:42 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  We need a "beating a dead horse" emoticon.

Why would it be 'beating a dead horse' if the same topic came up? It just demonstrates the social species we are. To stop questioning a topic seems asinine. We should always re-evaluate things.
14-11-2014, 10:58 PM
(14-11-2014 10:56 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  

Why would it be 'beating a dead horse' if the same topic came up? It just demonstrates the social species we are. To stop questioning a topic seems asinine. We should always re-evaluate things.

Storm Front doesnt speak for me......
14-11-2014, 11:01 PM
(14-11-2014 10:58 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 10:56 PM)StorMRising Wrote:  Why would it be 'beating a dead horse' if the same topic came up? It just demonstrates the social species we are. To stop questioning a topic seems asinine. We should always re-evaluate things.

Storm Front doesnt speak for me......

Someones going to smile reading that. I KNOW IT!

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
14-11-2014, 11:21 PM
(14-11-2014 10:40 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  We in the West think its ethical to eat with a fork and knife.
Wait. What?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
14-11-2014, 11:50 PM
This subject has been done to death on here. A simple search will show you that.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2014, 01:57 AM
(14-11-2014 09:52 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 08:52 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I think you have a slight confusion here.

Morals are Objective. They are objective to the way our evolutionary processes have gone over the years. ETHICS on the other hand is what is Subjective. Slavery is not really a moral choice but more an ethical one based on what the population believes at the time. Morality never changes, Ethics does, but the two are so interconnected to each other that it is difficult to tell which is which.

For example, murder. Murder is wrong no matter what culture you are in. However, because of the ethics of a certain time, it can be "morally", and by morally I actually mean ethically, correct to kill someone if they have opposing ideals that are against the holy book of whatever region you are from.

Ethics are driven from an outside source, this outside source can be anything from a holy book written by the ethical standards of others from any other period of time, to people in your community or whatever.

Morality exists in every social animal species on the planet. They are Objective because that is how evolution has brought us up to survive as a species.

For example, there is a moral stigma against killing each other for no reason.
Why? Because in order to kill someone, we need a reason to be afraid of them such as a fear of our lives ending because of that person. If we simply walked around and killed each other for no reason than our species would come to an end.

Sex with small children is a morality issue. They are not able to procreate, therefor, sex with children is morally wrong since it provides no purpose and they are still at the age where maternal and paternal instincts should still be in place that causes us to want to protect them from harm, be it physical or psychological which the act of sex would harm them in both.

The act of having sex with a minor whom is capable of making children is an Ethical choice based on many factors and continues to evolve over time today. It would not surprise me if the age of consent would be pushed to 20-21 in the next 100 years. This is also due to the fact that our species no longer needs to copulate with minors in order to keep the species alive.

So, while you are correct in saying we all have the same morality ( aside from some mentally defective people. ) Our ethics on the other hand are not all the same and that is where a lot of people get confused. People often confuse a ethical choice over a moral one.

Where is the objectiveness you speak of? Is murder wrong if you kill a paedophile trying to harm your child?

To me, that is wrong.

For me, in order to murder the paedophile trying to hurt your kid, you would have had to known about the pedo and planned the killing and placed your kid in danger in order to do so.

Of course, this isn't an argument against your point; more like adding another layer of subjectivity based on regional laws and definitions.

That said; I do think murder is wrong almost regardless of circumstance; it might be totally justified and still not sit well with me, but then I'm just a pansy-ass pseudo-pacifist; rather the pedo be beaten to near death and locked up than killed outright.

(14-11-2014 10:27 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I actually had to look up the difference between morals and ethics. I always assumed they were the same.

Morals are the standards by which people live; ethics are what get in the way of hybrid animal science and weird 60's-esque psychological experiments.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-11-2014, 04:04 AM
(14-11-2014 08:15 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  nice and short, nicely done.

But even shorter would be simply to refer someone to the Veil of Ignorance

... and let them work it out for themselves.

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-11-2014, 08:18 AM
I believe humans, as a social species, evolved a basic moral sense. Society took over the rest after that.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post