Atheist or Anti-Atheist Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
RE: Atheist or Anti-Atheist Films
(09-12-2011 11:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The God Who Was Not There...streaming on Netflix
The Atheist Tapes...6 part interviews with famous Atheists. Not sure how many times I watched the Richard Dawkins episode.

I only like 2 of the interviews. Dawkins and one other guy. The first one IIRC. The rest were just babbling on about phylisophical reasons for blah, blah, blah. I want facts to solidify my beliefs and phylisophical reasons for poking fun at others. The two I liked were incredible though. Def worth watching.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
(09-12-2011 11:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I only like 2 of the interviews. Dawkins and one other guy. The first one IIRC. The rest were just babbling on about phylisophical reasons for blah, blah, blah. I want facts to solidify my beliefs and phylisophical reasons for poking fun at others. The two I liked were incredible though. Def worth watching.

Yeah, I just saw after I posted, that you had mentioned it.

Was the other one Dan Dennett? I'm trying to remember without looking it up? The others were definitely more philosophical. I was ok with that, but only watched them once, while the other two I watched repeatedly.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
(09-12-2011 11:56 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 11:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I only like 2 of the interviews. Dawkins and one other guy. The first one IIRC. The rest were just babbling on about phylisophical reasons for blah, blah, blah. I want facts to solidify my beliefs and phylisophical reasons for poking fun at others. The two I liked were incredible though. Def worth watching.

Yeah, I just saw after I posted, that you had mentioned it.

Was the other one Dan Dennett? I'm trying to remember without looking it up? The others were definitely more philosophical. I was ok with that, but only watched them once, while the other two I watched repeatedly.

Can't recall the name.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Religilous, Jesus Camp, Letting Go of God Smile all very cool to check out! And Waking Life is really philosophical and interesting Smile
24-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Higher Ground - "A woman's experience with Christianity—from the certainties of new conversion to later struggles with faith."
It's a very subtle story and it's star Vera Farmiga, directed it from the memoir by Carolyn Briggs which was titled, This Dark World. Nothing really special- like I say, it's a very subtle story.

I thought it was fairly even handed and read a review of it by a Christian site. They agreed it was even handed and truthful in some ways ... but I don't think they saw what I did. Down in the comments, someone was obviously uncomfortable with it. Shy Here's a link to that review.

There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Perception is up for grabs, and truth seems to be the one precious thing, that no one wants anyone to find.
22-01-2013, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 01:15 PM by Chaos.)
Who wants to see some good atheist movies, I recommend some of Ingmar Bergman's films (he was an atheist): The Silence, Winter Light, The Seventh Seal and Stanley's Kubrick masterpiece - 2001: A Space Odyssey (even if there is more of an agnostic approach, it also has some atheist elements).
I also recommend "Creation" - about Charles Darwin's life.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
22-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Look at you Chaosss, trying give atheist films while simultaneously trying to resurrect the dead. I like it Thumbsup

14-03-2013, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2013 02:00 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
Just watched The Sunset Limited... It was pleasantly outside of the norm. Although the ending was pretty good, I couldn't come to the same conclusions that White did.

Also, someone mentioned Contact in this thread. The obvious "book was better" comment is usually not required, because it is expected that the book is better... However, in this situation, I feel that the changes made to Contact for the Hollywood adaptation were tragic. If anyone has both read and seen Contact, I'm sure they will agree. It was so blatantly aimed at the general population, which is largely religious. The version that Sagan intended is very clear on what happens, while the movie removes the evidence, all but one witness, and tries to make the theist into a good guy. Contact (book) = 10/10 Contact (movie) = 6/10 ... I was not impressed. You fuck with Sagan's work less than a year after he dies? If anyone deserved an accurate adaptation of their book, its Carl. That man was a REAL angel.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-03-2013, 06:30 AM
(14-03-2013 01:57 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Just watched The Sunset Limited... It was pleasantly outside of the norm. Although the ending was pretty good, I couldn't come to the same conclusions that White did.

Also, someone mentioned Contact in this thread. The obvious "book was better" comment is usually not required, because it is expected that the book is better... However, in this situation, I feel that the changes made to Contact for the Hollywood adaptation were tragic. If anyone has both read and seen Contact, I'm sure they will agree. It was so blatantly aimed at the general population, which is largely religious. The version that Sagan intended is very clear on what happens, while the movie removes the evidence, all but one witness, and tries to make the theist into a good guy. Contact (book) = 10/10 Contact (movie) = 6/10 ... I was not impressed. You fuck with Sagan's work less than a year after he dies? If anyone deserved an accurate adaptation of their book, its Carl. That man was a REAL angel.

I approve this message. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2013, 09:07 AM
(04-10-2011 06:14 AM)Mustardsanta Wrote:  I am a British Film Student looking into the perception of atheism in Hollywood for my dissertation. Are there any films that you would suggest as having a strong positive/negative portrayal of atheists or atheism? This can be overt or subtle, literal or symbolic.

For example some of the films I am looking at are The Passion of The Christ, Leap of Faith and The Ledge as well as Paranormal Activity (for it's celebration of faith over skepticism) .

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou
Inherit the Wind starring Spencer Tracy and Frederick March is a must see for your project. Based on a play of the same title it is a fictionalization of the Scopes monkey trial in Dayton, Tennessee in the 1920s. Tracy plays Henry Drummond, based on agnostic attorney Clarence Darrow. March plays Matthew Harrison Brady, based on fundamentalist politician William Jennings Bryan. Gene Kelly plays E.K. Hornbeck, based on journalist H.L. Mencken. The movie has been re-made twice.

In case you're not familiar with the Scopes trial, it was a test case challenging a Tennessee law against teaching the theory of evolution in public schools. The highlight of the movie is an interrogation of Brady(Bryan) by Drummond(Darrow). This actually took place and the movie version follows court records very closely.

Another good movie is Elmer Gantry about evangelism in the U.S. One of the characters is an atheist. I think Sinclair Lewis, who wrote the novel, was an atheist. Very good movie. Burt Lancaster won an Oscar for the title role.

Question everything!