Atheist or Anti-Atheist Films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2011, 08:32 PM
RE: Atheist or Anti-Atheist Films
What, no Dogma?

who's house? Ron's house...

May not be strictly an atheist film - but it works for me. But you probably don't want to go too subliminal - this is a religious county, don't let nobody tell you differently - I don't know if American film has ever been made that ain't saying something about God. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-10-2011, 10:12 PM
(24-10-2011 02:40 PM)Mustardsanta Wrote:  Thought I'd tighten up my request now that my research is coming along...
Does anyone know of any Hollywood films that promote atheism or skepticism?
A 1990 film Mindwalk is an interesting film which focuses on three characters; a scientist; a politician; and a poet having a discussion about shifting paradigms. The film becomes an introduction to systems theory and systems thinking, while insights into modern physical theories such as quantum mechanics and particle physics are also provided. Specific problems and solutions are not necessarily the main focus; rather, different perspectives are presented, through which the problems of political and social problems, and alternative solutions for them can be viewed and considered. It's a bit of a talking head movie and though it's more than 20 years old now, it's not really dated at all and strangely enjoyable. It was shot around Mont Saint Michel, France so there's some nice eye candy and it provides a positive view of rational thought.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
30-10-2011, 03:45 AM
Religulous with Bill Maher is pretty damn good, it's like documentary style and shows how Christians are delusional. Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist#6667's post
06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Four Lions is a funny take on Muslim extremism. I'd recommend that for a view f a different religion over Christianity.
08-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I recently saw a good movie which was partially about religion. The name of the film is "Salvation Boulevard", it's fairly new, some of the actors are Pierce Brosman and Ed Harris. Brosman plays an evangelical pastor, Ed Harris is an atheist and debates against the pastor about religion, then lots of crazy stuff happens.

Edit: Also saw a good movie called "Psalm 21" but it's swedish, so most of you wouldn't understand it, unless you find it with english subtitles.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof Christopher Hitchens

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion Steven Weinberg
08-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Creation is a film about Darwin. It deals with his struggles with contradicting relgion with his findings. Good Flick!

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
09-12-2011, 03:43 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Contact yet!

Apostate Chi Ro (XP)
My blog: http://apostatexp.blogspot.com/
Adventures in Apostasy. A former devout Catholic and amateur apologist turned atheist shares his thoughts.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Apostate-...6000007565
[+] 2 users Like Apostate XP's post
09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Flock of Dodos is a doc about court cases fought over teachign ID in schools. It's pretty good. Also, The Atheism Tapes is okay.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
09-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Dogma
Time Bandits
The Seventh Seal
Life of Brian

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
The God Who Was Not There...streaming on Netflix
The Atheist Tapes...6 part interviews with famous Atheists. Not sure how many times I watched the Richard Dawkins episode.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My