Atheist or Anti-Religionist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 02:24 PM
RE: Atheist or Anti-Religionist
I will always be for human rights, even your right to make bullshit claims, but I also have the right to call your claims bullshit.

I am not anti religion in a use of force government sense. But I am anti religion in the same context we do not believe the earth is flat and nobody thinks the sun is a god anymore. I am pro "use our modern knowledge and give up on myth".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Re: Atheist or Anti-Religionist
Actually, when I still believed, I didn't believe in an anthropomorphic deity. It was one of the main tenets that it didn't have a human shape or human emotions.

The reason I haven't believed in deities for so long is because when I studied my own beliefs, none of them truly made sense anymore.
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 07:47 PM
(16-10-2014 02:10 PM)Pointwithinacircle Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 10:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  So, what are the qualifications for being a non-anthropomorphic god?
(16-10-2014 11:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  No. Apologists protect their god by keeping him (it?) sufficiently nonfalsifiable and vague. Hell, even a skeptic could admit that logically, some god could exist that just hasn't been accurately or properly described yet.
Well, with the proviso that I am simply an uneducated man taking a guess, I'm willing to take a shot at a definition. It goes like this; Untold thousands of years ago humans began to realize that there were things about their world that they did not understand. Before Issac Newton (well, he gets the credit anyway) when a boy asked "daddy, why did that falling apple hit me in the head?" there was no suitable answer that the father could give. It was just easier to say "because god made it that way". God simply became the answer to every question to which the answer was unknown. Unfortunately the boys next question was "what is god?" Now, having been asked to provide an answer about an unknown god, to explain an unknown event, to a ignorant, frightened, superstitious child, the good father made up something comforting, loving, and reassuring. He made up a good father in the sky who would always protect and love the child, someone like himself. This answer worked well for the uneducated, the superstitious, and the frightened.

Now to an simple person like myself, who is simply taking a guess, It seems like there have probably been smart guys like Issac Newton around for as long as there have been human beings. However if, like me, they have heard those stories about the ignorant, frightened, superstitious people developing a mob mentality and rising up and slaughtering those ideas they did not understand, they probably learned to be very careful about who they shared their insights and knowledge with. I have even heard rumors that the Egyptian "priests" who designed and built the pyramids used to stay up all night sitting on those pyramids studying the stars and formulating theories about their movements. While this seems kind of scientific to me, it appears that they were telling the ignorant, superstitious, fearful people of their time the more palatable story that they were simply worshiping the gods.

I have read some historians who say that the people who lived along the Nile back then didn't call the land Egypt, they called it Khem, a root word which still survives today in the words Alchemy and Chemistry. Perhaps those Ancient Egyptians were chemists, after all they discovered cement which I understand requires the refining of several different chemicals to make correctly.

So the non-anthropomorphic god is simply all the forces, elements, and truths that we, at this point, cannot understand any other way.

So there you have my description of how life works. One reality, called science by those with education and understanding, and explained as god to the ignorant, superstitious, and fearful. Of course, I cannot show that any of it is true. All I have is a story, belief, and not a shred of proof. Hey! I should form my own religion!

That argument of this non-anthropomorphic god described that way is literally known as the God of the Gaps.

The problem with any appeal to it is that there is no justification. It's merely desiring to add an attribute or label of god to the currently unknown.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Religion's failings in the old logic department, are proof enough to me that their gods don't exist... We can be confident that a theistic god is a thing of mythology. Even if he himself is undetectable, we should be able to see his influence on the universe (i.e miracles). And we don't, anywhere. Absolutely nothing violates the laws of physics...

Whether or not there is a god of some kind out there, I don't know, but I very much doubt it... This is what separates an atheist from an agnostic. While both recognize that there is probably no way to know whether a god exists or not, the atheist considers it very unlikely, or illogical, whereas the agnostic is forever on the fence.

I personally consider the idea of any god to be illogical... It makes no sense to me that a god would create a universe, and create laws of physics that one way or another guarantee its ultimate destruction. Not to mention creating a universe with which he does absolutely nothing (deism). And I don't see the logic in believing a god would create a universe with us in mind... Considering the fact that its taken 14 billion years for us to arrive on the scene.

Some argue in favor of a pantheistic god, which is basically the belief that the universe is god... I don't quite understand what they mean by that, but I suspect that they believe the universe is somehow conscious and thinking. We require a brain for this... If conscious thought were possible without a brain, then I doubt brains would have evolved. It is the most complex and energy consuming organ in the entire human body. 20% of the energy we take in is used to fuel this organ, in order to sustain consciousness... Yet pantheists believe that consciousness can exist in a vacuum.

Sounds like bollocks to me...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post