Atheist or agnostic correct terms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 11:39 AM
RE: Atheist or agnostic correct terms?
(12-03-2014 11:24 AM)john2 Wrote:  Is there a difference?
Yes - a unicorn has a horn, an elephant has a trunk. Duh. Drooling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 01:38 PM
(12-03-2014 11:30 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wouldn't engage alphapha if I were you. He doesn't understand basic things like logic and rational thought. Also, nitpicking whether your fictional being is an elephant or a unicorn is right up his alley. He will argue with you about which it is while completely ignoring the underlying metaphor that makes the exact species a moot point.

He's a disingenuous troll with nothing better to do.

Wow, he did it again, didn't he? It's like he refuses to post on the actual matter being discussed. I wonder why he hasn't nitpicked Miss Meng.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
(12-03-2014 01:38 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 11:30 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I wouldn't engage alphapha if I were you. He doesn't understand basic things like logic and rational thought. Also, nitpicking whether your fictional being is an elephant or a unicorn is right up his alley. He will argue with you about which it is while completely ignoring the underlying metaphor that makes the exact species a moot point.

He's a disingenuous troll with nothing better to do.

Wow, he did it again, didn't he? It's like he refuses to post on the actual matter being discussed. I wonder why he hasn't nitpicked Miss Meng.

It's always nice to be proven right less than 10 minutes after making a prediction. Of course, with idiots like that, it's not hard. At least they're predictable.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
12-03-2014, 01:55 PM
(12-03-2014 11:04 AM)john2 Wrote:  I usually call myself an atheist for my friends but sometimes I call myself an agnostic. I'm still trying hard to understand the difference. Take the following example:

I tell you I have a pink elephant in my garage. You say that's pretty interesting and come over to see it. I open my garage door - you see no pink elephant inside. I assure you it is there. After some investigation however you can find nothing. I tell you it's invisible so you can't see it, you can't touch it cause you can walk through it etc. No matter what test you try I've got an answer. So are you an atheist regarding the pink elephant - I can't see hear, taste, touch, it etc so it is not there or are you agnostic to it? I can't prove it does not exist but maybe it can? Going a bit further if agnosticism is right is anything therefore possible unless proven otherwise? What do you guys think?
Rolleyes OK, if you guys insist...

I take out a gun and shoot you in the knee. I point the gun at the other knee and tell you it's next, then your balls (if I'm a good enough shot to hit such a small target) unless you recant about the invisible pink elephant. You recant. Case closed.
12-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Atheist or agnostic correct terms?
(12-03-2014 01:55 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 11:04 AM)john2 Wrote:  I usually call myself an atheist for my friends but sometimes I call myself an agnostic. I'm still trying hard to understand the difference. Take the following example:

I tell you I have a pink elephant in my garage. You say that's pretty interesting and come over to see it. I open my garage door - you see no pink elephant inside. I assure you it is there. After some investigation however you can find nothing. I tell you it's invisible so you can't see it, you can't touch it cause you can walk through it etc. No matter what test you try I've got an answer. So are you an atheist regarding the pink elephant - I can't see hear, taste, touch, it etc so it is not there or are you agnostic to it? I can't prove it does not exist but maybe it can? Going a bit further if agnosticism is right is anything therefore possible unless proven otherwise? What do you guys think?

I take out a gun and shoot you in the knee. I point the gun at the other knee and tell you it's next, then your balls (if I'm a good enough shot to hit such a small target) unless you recant about the invisible pink elephant. You recant. Case closed.

Oh Alpha, you're so Alpha!

Threatening violence on an online message board!

PS: Mom called, and says she wants the basement clean before she gets home. All the Mountain Dew cans and Hot Pockets wrappers are attracting ants.

Do you want ants?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
12-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Belief is the psychological state in which one accepts a proposition as true.

If you do not accept the proposition that a god exists as true, you are an atheist.

Agnosticism is the position that the existence of a god is either unknown, or unknowable. If you hold this position, you are an agnostic.

Both positions can be held simultaneously.

When it comes down to it, what one claims to know is unimportant. People don't act on what they claim to know, they act on beliefs.
12-03-2014, 05:11 PM
(12-03-2014 11:18 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Er, it's a unicorn, not an elephant, dumbass.

Always a pleasure to see a mature, level headed and rational response, Alpha Male!

~ Miss Meng
12-03-2014, 05:14 PM
(12-03-2014 01:55 PM)alpha male Wrote:  

Hmmm, a theist using violence to convert people into believing his delusions, where have I heard that before?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
12-03-2014, 05:55 PM
(12-03-2014 05:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Hmmm, a theist using violence to convert people into believing his delusions, where have I heard that before?

There's a lot of that in that book he lurvs so much.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-03-2014, 09:11 PM

I love pink elephants.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiteRaven's post