Atheist or agnostic correct terms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 09:52 AM
RE: Atheist or agnostic correct terms?
(13-03-2014 09:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:57 AM)john2 Wrote:  Yes I Miss Meng you would be the one to actually see the elephant, unicorn whatever. I was talking about normal people not psychotics. Btw alpha male since you are so upset I didn't use the right character maybe you can send me an approved list? Since you are after all the head of fictional characters.
If you're gonna trot out all the traditional arguments (and you seem to be doing that), you may as well do it right. What's next...The Flying Gluten-Free Linguine Monster? Russell's Mr. Coffee Machine?!?

[Image: doUly.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 10:08 AM
(13-03-2014 09:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:57 AM)john2 Wrote:  Yes I Miss Meng you would be the one to actually see the elephant, unicorn whatever. I was talking about normal people not psychotics. Btw alpha male since you are so upset I didn't use the right character maybe you can send me an approved list? Since you are after all the head of fictional characters.
If you're gonna trot out all the traditional arguments (and you seem to be doing that), you may as well do it right. What's next...The Flying Gluten-Free Linguine Monster? Russell's Mr. Coffee Machine?!?

Well I haven't been on atheist forum for a few years. I left because all the threads becoming insulting. Sure I can take the heat but it gets tiring after awhile.

alpha male: fu john2!
me: fu too alpha male!
etc Are we having fun yet? I didn't know fiction characters soo important considering this is an atheist forum.
13-03-2014, 10:16 AM
(13-03-2014 10:08 AM)john2 Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 09:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  If you're gonna trot out all the traditional arguments (and you seem to be doing that), you may as well do it right. What's next...The Flying Gluten-Free Linguine Monster? Russell's Mr. Coffee Machine?!?

Well I haven't been on atheist forum for a few years. I left because all the threads becoming insulting. Sure I can take the heat but it gets tiring after awhile.

etc Are we having fun yet? I didn't know fiction characters soo important considering this is an atheist forum.

Perhaps you're better suited to forums where people simply agree with you without having to make a case for it.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
13-03-2014, 10:21 AM
(13-03-2014 10:16 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 10:08 AM)john2 Wrote:  Well I haven't been on atheist forum for a few years. I left because all the threads becoming insulting. Sure I can take the heat but it gets tiring after awhile.

Perhaps you're better suited to forums where people simply agree with you without having to make a case for it.

Well we're not even debating we're just around sitting around yelling at each other for no reason. But ok then.
13-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Also note that a unicorn could fit in a typical garage, while an elephant couldn't. And, invisible doesn't mean immaterial. This analogy is an epic fail.
13-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Guys, an elephant isn't exactly the same as God in every way, therefore, it's a bad analogy. Because that's what analogies are: things that are identical in every way.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
13-03-2014, 10:57 AM
(13-03-2014 10:54 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Guys, an elephant isn't exactly the same as God in every way, therefore, it's a bad analogy. Because that's what analogies are: things that are identical in every way.

The fuck you say?

[Image: lord-ganesha-82a.jpg]

God is an elephant, checkmate!

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
13-03-2014, 10:58 AM
(13-03-2014 10:54 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Guys, an elephant isn't exactly the same as God in every way, therefore, it's a bad analogy. Because that's what analogies are: things that are identical in every way.

The point is that there was no way prove it was there - just as one can't prove anything about god. Since there is no scientific test on whether or not god exists is god any different from a fictional character? What makes the god concept more reasonable then *insert fictional character of your choice here*?
13-03-2014, 11:54 AM
(13-03-2014 10:58 AM)john2 Wrote:  

The point is that there was no way prove it was there - just as one can't prove anything about god. Since there is no scientific test on whether or not god exists is god any different from a fictional character? What makes the god concept more reasonable then *insert fictional character of your choice here*?

I know that! I was just making a satirical comment for our residential fundy who doesn't appear to understand the point of analogies.
13-03-2014, 12:04 PM
(13-03-2014 10:58 AM)john2 Wrote:  The point is that there was no way prove it was there - just as one can't prove anything about god.

I beg to differ. Divine intervention / response to prayer are incredibly useful falsifiability criteria.

But the problem, rather, lies in 'god'. That innocuous little syllable means pretty much anything to the right person.

To even be considered a claim - any supposed 'god' - must be defined, coherently and consistently. Most religions can't do this, as it happens. They cobble together meaningless stock phrases to refer to vacuous subjective personal experience in concert with selectively read context-free pick-and-choose scripture.

So anyone saying "I do/n't believe in [G/g]od(s)" has a lot of explaining to do before that sentence means anything.

(13-03-2014 10:58 AM)john2 Wrote:  Since there is no scientific test on whether or not god exists is god any different from a fictional character? What makes the god concept more reasonable then *insert fictional character of your choice here*?

... that doesn't make any sense unless 'god' is first defined.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post