Atheist out of English Apathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Atheist out of English Apathy
Born an atheist, but wasn't so sure between the ages of four and thirty. I guess there is an awful lot of social pressure on kids to believe in magic - from Santa to virgin births or walking on water. Anyway, I was always keen on natural history - and I'd say that it was the theory of natural selection that finally convinced me of my atheism. So here I am.

It's a bit different here in England to the USA. Most of the population are neither fundies nor atheists, but to be honest, apathetic. My hypothesis is that centuries of religious turmoil and bloodshed - followed by a dire uninspiring state church, made the English apathetic and a little suspicious of religion. For example, in the US, voters expect presidential candidates to be god fearing Christians. Here in England, we seriously worry if our prime ministers start talking to God. It's loony bin time for them, or at least deselection by their political party. I'm serious! We don't trust the pious here.

I lived at Thetford for many years - the birthplace and hometown of Tom Paine. Now Tom was not an atheist, I doubt many were in 18th Century Europe. However, he did grow up opposed to any organised religion including Christianity. I like his theism - that people should have equal access to 'God'. I would highly recommend his treatise on religion - "The Age of Reason". Still, that was before another countryman of mine, Charles Darwin, discovered biological evolution by natural selection. I wonder if Tom would have been an atheist if he had been born later? The great thing about natural selection, is that it negates the need for any creators post abiogenesis.

Getting back to my introduction, I work in biomass power stations, I'm a 50 year old male, I've extended my mid life crisis somewhat, my girlfriend is into neo-paganism, witchcraft, and magic (now there's a confrontational relationship), and I like photography! Politics - I describe myself as Left Libertarian. I definitely sympathise with revolution and people power. My favourite book - Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell (another fellow Englishman - starting to sound like a boring Nationalist which I am not!).

Pleased to be a new member.

[Image: 3307055965_ff6870c472.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: Atheist out of English Apathy
Yabut. What about the boot-to-the-head thing in your avatar? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
24-06-2013, 04:02 PM
RE: Atheist out of English Apathy
(24-06-2013 03:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yabut. What about the boot-to-the-head thing in your avatar? Consider

You like that? Purely recreational thing with the girlfriend Wink
[+] 2 users Like Trojan_Llama's post