Atheist paramilitary organization

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-02-2014, 07:21 PM
RE: Atheist paramilitary organization
They're already exists such an organization. Their called, the Nazis.

[Image: 640px-Super-troll.gif]
Atheists? Check! Grammar Nazis? Double Check! Atheist Grammar Nazis? Triple check! Atheist German Grammar Nazis? Mind=Blown! Tongue That is how you troll.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
01-02-2014, 07:26 PM
(01-02-2014 07:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  They're already exists such an organization. Their called, the Nazis.

Atheists? Check! Grammar Nazis? Double Check! Atheist Grammar Nazis? Triple check! Atheist German Grammar Nazis? Mind=Blown! Tongue That is how you troll.

They're

[Image: GrammarNaziSmall.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2014, 10:45 PM
(01-02-2014 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 07:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  They're already exists such an organization. Their called, the Nazis.

They're

[Image: GrammarNaziSmall.jpg]
In addition to that, his usage of a comma between "called" and "the" is incorrect. Smartass

[Image: 2UyBXgB.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-02-2014, 12:04 AM
(01-02-2014 07:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  Except that in a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, it is the people who wield the force. The government is the people.

This seems to me, to be both irrelevent and somewhat naive. Force is force. It doesn't matter if it's one person, a gang of 10 people, or a majority. But beyond that, a republic is hardly of or by the people. It's designed to ensure that is not the case, by removing the people from direct control.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
02-02-2014, 12:30 AM
(02-02-2014 12:04 AM)toadaly Wrote:  This seems to me, to be both irrelevent and somewhat naive. Force is force. It doesn't matter if it's one person, a gang of 10 people, or a majority. But beyond that, a republic is hardly of or by the people. It's designed to ensure that is not the case, by removing the people from direct control.

Another case of speaking of the government as though it is some self-aware entity.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
02-02-2014, 12:36 AM
(02-02-2014 12:30 AM)Anudist Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 12:04 AM)toadaly Wrote:  This seems to me, to be both irrelevent and somewhat naive. Force is force. It doesn't matter if it's one person, a gang of 10 people, or a majority. But beyond that, a republic is hardly of or by the people. It's designed to ensure that is not the case, by removing the people from direct control.

Another case of speaking of the government as though it is some self-aware entity.

...some clarification would be appreciated.

02-02-2014, 12:47 AM
(02-02-2014 12:36 AM)toadaly Wrote:  ...some clarification would be appreciated.

In a Republic, as in every other government, the government is made of people. The difference between a Republic or a Democracy, or some blend of the two, and a totalitarian state is that in a Republic the people can effectively enact change in their government by vote. You elect your leaders who take your votes and attempt to enact change. They are in this position only so long as the people want them to be. In this way, it is of the people.

A Republic is exactly of, by, and for the people, only much is done through proxy. A proxy which you, along with your fellow citizens, control directly by vote. Recall elections are options expressly for this reason.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
02-02-2014, 01:25 AM
(02-02-2014 12:47 AM)Anudist Wrote:  A Republic is exactly of, by, and for the people, only much is done through proxy. A proxy which you, along with your fellow citizens, control directly by vote. Recall elections are options expressly for this reason.

No, I'm sorry, but a republic, is *not* by or of the people. That would be a democracy. In a republic, the people only have indirect control. ...more indirect control probably than in a warlord arrangement, but nevertheless,the people do not rule. They are still ruled by an elite. They just get to elect those elite.

In practice, republics end up being little different from constitutional monarchies.

02-02-2014, 01:33 AM
(02-02-2014 01:25 AM)toadaly Wrote:  In practice, republics end up being little different from constitutional monarchies.

Well in a constitutional monarchy isn't the role of the King just ceremonial ?

What is the diff between a republic and a democracy ? I thought a republic *was* a democracy with the added bonus of a constituition ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-02-2014, 01:53 AM
(02-02-2014 01:25 AM)toadaly Wrote:  No, I'm sorry, but a republic, is *not* by or of the people. That would be a democracy. In a republic, the people only have indirect control. ...more indirect control probably than in a warlord arrangement, but nevertheless,the people do not rule. They are still ruled by an elite. They just get to elect those elite.

In practice, republics end up being little different from constitutional monarchies.

While your summary is pretty much spot on, I still disagree that they are definitively the same. In a republic, you have elections for each office (that isn't appointed) from the top down, determined BY the people. The pool from which these elected officials are drawn from are not limited save for citizenship standards, making it OF the people. As any one could become an elected official, it can not be stated that there is only an elite ruling class, similar to oligarchy or feudalism. Since people get to choose who is elected, and by that proxy what happens in the country, it can not be said that people do not have control over their government, as in an oligarchy, monarchy, totalitarian state, etc...

What the system ends up being is not the issue, as by definition republics are indeed of and by the people from the beginning. If it turns into something else, it can not be called a republic.

Semantics, really. I'll not argue further as it really doesn't matter much.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody