Atheist parents and Santa Clause

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Atheist parents and Santa Clause
Have any atheists parents here let their kids believe in Santa Clause?

I see it as completely different from God, as Santa Clause is something that they only believe in as a child and grow out of. I learned Santa Clause isn't real at a very young age (4 or 5) and I wouldn't want to take it from other kids. [/size][/font]What do you think?
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2010, 05:22 PM
RE: Atheist parents and Santa Clause
The only reason people grow out of Santa Clause is because the parents let them. It's pretty much the same as God. A higher power gives things to the masses in the name of a fictional character.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't encourage belief in Santa but I don't tell my kids he's not real either. I think my 9 year old knows and my 7 year old believes in him. It's completely harmless as far as I'm concerned and part of the short lived period of total childhood innocence. I'd rather have my grade school kids naive and believing in Santa then a little more worldly and asking me about sex. They will get to that point soon enough but 7 and 9 is just too young in my view.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
28-11-2010, 07:43 PM

We've not taught our kids to believe in Santa Claus. Presents are waiting under the tree on christmas morning, and they know where they came from.

When you say it's "all in fun", you really mean that it is fun for the adults. Christmas is wonderful for children anyway, they get the gifts with little thought as to their origins. They don't care if they arrived in a cardboard box in the mail, or if they watch you unpack them from the trunk of your car.

There are times when it's morally correct to tell a lie (I won't go into that right here) but when it comes to raising kids with some sense of morals, it's really hypocritical to tell them "You better not lie, because Santa Claus is watching you". Now if they know the parent is "Santa" then that is one thing, but if they're thinking of the "standard" belief in santa - I have to think that is the wrong thing to do.
28-11-2010, 10:23 PM
My parents never told me Santa Claus was real and I don't think I ever truly believed in him.
I always knew the presents were from them and I knew the milk and cookies were for Dad.

I knew of the Santa Claus stories, I just never gave them any more credit than Green Eggs & Ham.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
29-11-2010, 06:30 AM
You just know Shock would be having a laugh if he saw this xD

santa syndrome ;X

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
(28-11-2010 10:23 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  My parents never told me Santa Claus was real and I don't think I ever truly believed in him.
I always knew the presents were from them and I knew the milk and cookies were for Dad.

I knew of the Santa Claus stories, I just never gave them any more credit than Green Eggs & Ham.

I was devastated when I found out that Santa wasn't real I still remember crying in the car when my parents told me. They were nice and took me out to dinner to make it up. Even with all that I don't think it's harmful. I believe that children need a little magic. It also becomes a great example for why not to believe in God, or gods. I was able to let go of religion because I remember how hard that moment was and yet I lived through it.

(28-11-2010 12:56 PM)rsteve Wrote:  Have any atheists parents here let their kids believe in Santa Clause?

I see it as completely different from God, as Santa Clause is something that they only believe in as a child and grow out of. I learned Santa Clause isn't real at a very young age (4 or 5) and I wouldn't want to take it from other kids. [/size][/font]What do you think?

I think the two are equal in many ways. For example Santa is always watching. Santa decides who's been naughty and who's been nice. Your reward is proportional your behavior. Besides the lack of a master plan, he's God. I would call him God light.

What amazes me is that Christian allow for the belief in Santa doesn't it break the first three commandment to believe and worship Santa?
01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Let them believe in Santa Clause. They will learn not to believe it later in life. Call it a first lesson in Atheism.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2010, 05:52 AM

I don't think there is any harm in doing it either way. I for one allow and encourage my kids to believe in Santa. I also allow my kids to go to church with their grandmother (we're not talking fundamentalist here though). At this point its all just fun, when they reach an age where the questions become more serious then I will be 100% truthful.
02-12-2010, 06:33 AM
I do not think that there is any point in telling that Santa is not real,
They will hear and see enough of him either from their friends at school or from all the santa figurines in the shops.
When they finally get to the question "Is Santa real"
That is an opener for "No dear Santa is not real and can you tell me who else is not real"
When they are old enough to know santa is not real they are old enough to know God is not real.