Atheist parents and Santa Clause

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Atheist parents and Santa Clause
(15-11-2015 09:04 PM)mecanna Wrote:  I told them he turns into jelly and oozes under the door. Angel
I'm not sure if that's freaking awesome or creepy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
15-11-2015, 09:18 PM
When I found out the truth about Santa...I didn't feel as though I had been lied to. I grew up being read to...fairy tales and other children's books and stories. To me the Santa thing was just another character from someone's imagination.

I enjoyed being 'in on it' with the adults when it came to my much younger siblings and cousins. My older two kids felt the same...they knew something the younger/youngest didn't. Of course, there was still the surprise for the older ones as to what gifts they would get.

Now I watch as my kids carry on some of the traditions and as they create their own for their kids.

What's so bad about getting together...sometimes more than once...over the Christmas holidays to watch the excitement of children and enjoy foods we tend not to eat other times of the year? It's usually at least a short break from work and a time to spend with family and take naps. Smile

Christmas is much better now that we have scaled back and not made it a month long scramble for excess.

No harm, no foul.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-11-2015, 11:03 PM
(15-11-2015 09:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I found out the truth about Santa...I didn't feel as though I had been lied to. I grew up being read to...fairy tales and other children's books and stories. To me the Santa thing was just another character from someone's imagination.

I enjoyed being 'in on it' with the adults when it came to my much younger siblings and cousins. My older two kids felt the same...they knew something the younger/youngest didn't. Of course, there was still the surprise for the older ones as to what gifts they would get.

Now I watch as my kids carry on some of the traditions and as they create their own for their kids.

What's so bad about getting together...sometimes more than once...over the Christmas holidays to watch the excitement of children and enjoy foods we tend not to eat other times of the year? It's usually at least a short break from work and a time to spend with family and take naps. Smile

Christmas is much better now that we have scaled back and not made it a month long scramble for excess.

No harm, no foul.

My kids are 5 years apart and yes my older son loved being able to stay up late and help set the stage for Christmas morning. He got to eat the cookies and leave the crumbs. Smile

He also put together the complicated toys while hubby and I got into the holiday spirit with some cocktails.

My youngest has really good memories of those times too.

Also, I knew the kids for at least a few days would go to bed without arguing. Especially on Christmas Eve!!

Believe me after months of planning, I as a mom freaking loved that part!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-11-2015, 11:18 PM
I didn't worry about Santa with my kids. We made Santa Claus a kind of magic, fun guy. I had such a good time with my kids and the Santa Claus character. It became a creative thing. I never said anything like, Santa won't bring you presents if you're bad and I never told them he kept a list of all the good and bad kids. Religion never entered into the picture, that would have ruined the imaginary storybook character of Mr. Claus I think. I emphasised generosity and giving.

My kids are in college now but I still give them a couple of presents and sign Santa Claus's name on the name tag. They love it.

You see, I never totally grew up. I'm still a little kid sometimes. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Santa Clause is real.

It's a real dumb movie with Tim Allen playing the fictional Santa Claus......

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-11-2015, 07:46 AM
(16-11-2015 05:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Santa Clause is real.

It's a real dumb movie with Tim Allen playing the fictional Santa Claus......

Wink

There's a Krampus movie coming out in a few weeks!Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
17-11-2015, 03:29 AM
If I had kids I might teach them about Santa. Only because I remember what it was like to be a very young child and believe that magic existed. Sometimes I kinda wish I could go back for just a day. Just to remember what it was like to think magic was out there somewhere y'know?

Wizards and spells and flying animals.....I mean flying non flying animals.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
17-11-2015, 04:18 AM
Most kids figure out the ruse long before anyone tells them. With my kid, she asked me one year if I wanted to bet that as long as she pretended she believed, her mom would keep giving her gifts from Santa. That's as close she ever came to asking if Santa was real. Then it's like Moms said...the fun part becomes being in on it.

Little shit is almost 19 and she still gets Santa presents too. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-11-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm my house Santa = First major critical thinking puzzle with motivated self interest concealing the truth. When my daughter passed this test by saying "I think it's your parents" I grinned widely and said "Well done! You did it!". To me a child coming out to their parents as a non-Santa-believer is a graduation event to be celebrated.

Santa still gives her presents. The tooth fairy still gives her coins. It's not a lie. It's a metaphor. It's a fun magical game.

In the figuring out stage I try not to lie, and I encourage my kids to reflect on questions. I'll talk about Santa coming in much the same way both before and after they figure it out.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
17-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Hafnof that's what I was thinking. Why not make it into a first lesson of critical thinking?

Problem is Near is VERY against it at all. Don't know what I'll do.