Atheist people groups

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Atheist people groups
Have there ever been any atheist people groups discovered outside of modern society, like any of what Christianity considers the "unreached" peoples like in hard-to-get to-locations, jungle, etc? Whether most people groups have spiritual beliefs or not is no argument for or against the existence of god, but I wonder if there have ever been any atheistic groups...groups that simply did not have any spiritual beliefs. I ask this simply because I'm a curious atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 06:55 AM
RE: Atheist people groups
The Pirahã are close

Quote:According to Everett, the Pirahã have no concept of a supreme spirit or god, and they lost interest in Jesus when they discovered that Everett had never seen him. They require evidence based on personal experience for every claim made. However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-06-2015, 07:03 AM
There was supposed studied groups in Africa in the early 20th century who didn't worship or give thoughts to a god. Some were considered to only believe in malevolent types of gods so they didn't care to worship it. Some may of existed as tribes without any god believe or god rituals/superstition for some generations ongoing though.

Also Native Americans of some few tribes have stated their oral tradition says their ancestors never contemplated on the idea of it there were or not supreme beings. They tried to take things as they were. I don't know of how many existed or what areas these types were from though.

When considering what actually is religion or also plenty of possibility of considering some old eastern groups. There is plenty of religious-like ritual and superstition though despite often there not being a deity belief.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-06-2015, 07:09 AM
(26-06-2015 06:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The Pirahã are close

Quote:According to Everett, the Pirahã have no concept of a supreme spirit or god, and they lost interest in Jesus when they discovered that Everett had never seen him. They require evidence based on personal experience for every claim made. However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.

Well, I am sure they were just raping and killing at will because they didn't know jebus.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
26-06-2015, 11:37 AM
If you think about it - it'd be almost impossible to document.

In asking a person who'd never heard of the god concept, if they ever contemplated "god" -- you've contaminated the person with the idea.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.