Atheist population today !1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2010, 12:34 AM

Atheist population today !1
Hi,
Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist. Between 64% and 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers, and to 48% in Russia. The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges as low as single digits in Italy and some other countries, and up to 85% in Sweden.
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2010, 10:50 AM

RE: Atheist population today !1
Interesting.

In Canada, 16.5% of the population has No religious affiliation (whether that means atheist or agnostic, it is not specified). This is based on a 2001 census taken.

Another interesting fact is that, from the 16.5%, 74.3% fall below 45 years old. Can this mean that the younger generations are starting to wise up about the falsity of religion? We can probably come to that conclusion, but it would be premature if further investigation into this isn't done.
17-02-2010, 12:43 PM

God I hate math.
[+] 1 user Likes Grassharpper's post
21-02-2010, 01:55 PM
America is around 15% atheists, roughly same as Canada. Another interesting number; although America is only 15%, our scientific community is closer to 40% - 50%.

The National Academy of Sciences is 85% atheist.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/news/file002.html

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2010, 06:25 PM

(04-02-2010 12:34 AM)ianjose Wrote:  Hi,
Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist. Between 64% and 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers, and to 48% in Russia. The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges as low as single digits in Italy and some other countries, and up to 85% in Sweden.

May I ask where you're getting these numbers from? Smile