Atheist religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Atheist religions?
I was wondering about all the atheist religions. Wondering if there is more than I thought.

I know that certain branches of paganism believe in spirits of the dead rather than a god, and that Buddhism is about the spirit of the living rather than a god. Can anyone name any other atheist religions?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
RE: Atheist religions?
I found this on TheThinkingAtheist's Facebook page. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Lol...

Like the Christian version of Sikhs or something like that? Is it Sikhs that follow Mohammed but not allah? Or am I totally looking stupid right now?

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-09-2010, 08:20 PM

Atheism is NOT a religion, so we have no denominations or "flavors". We have no places of "worship", no sacred texts, no dogma, no rituals, no creeds, or any authority figures. Atheists don't always agree about things - the only thing we definitely have in common is that we don't believe in a deity. I like this about atheism ... we do our own thinking, and reach our own conclusions.
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 08:32 PM
(02-09-2010 08:04 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Lol...

Like the Christian version of Sikhs or something like that? Is it Sikhs that follow Mohammed but not allah? Or am I totally looking stupid right now?

lol, don't worry, I have no idea, so that makes you more educated on it than me, even if it turns out to be miseducation. xD

(02-09-2010 08:20 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Atheism is NOT a religion, so we have no denominations or "flavors". We have no places of "worship", no sacred texts, no dogma, no rituals, no creeds, or any authority figures. Atheists don't always agree about things - the only thing we definitely have in common is that we don't believe in a deity. I like this about atheism ... we do our own thinking, and reach our own conclusions.

I think what he meant was a list of religions that didn't have set deities, like Buddhism and such, not a religion for atheists.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
(02-09-2010 08:20 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Atheism is NOT a religion, so we have no denominations or "flavors". We have no places of "worship", no sacred texts, no dogma, no rituals, no creeds, or any authority figures. Atheists don't always agree about things - the only thing we definitely have in common is that we don't believe in a deity. I like this about atheism ... we do our own thinking, and reach our own conclusions.

I think someone didn't read the OP :3

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Does it count if I have a simple irrational belief?

See, I don't believe in heaven but I believe in Dog Heaven because that's where my dog would go if she were ever to die, which she will never, ever do because I would be a total and complete mess. But, on the billion-to-one chance she is not immortal, she's off to Dog Heaven. I'm 100% convinced of this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-09-2010, 07:14 AM

OK ... I get it. Cetaceaphile is asking about nonmonotheistic religions. Sorry ... my bad. Obviously, the notion that atheism is a religion is a pet peeve of mine.
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Not even nonmonotheistic (which isn't a word BTW lol). He's talking about completely atheistic religions. Polytheism is still theism. Some religions do not include the notion of a deity or deities. Buddhism is the only one I can think of. Sikhism is not atheistic as far as I know because the reason they wear their turbans is to cover their head from God.
03-09-2010, 10:40 AM

OK ... once again, I stand corrected. I don't know much about Buddhism, etc. I thought that Buddhists grant Buddha some special status ... not deity status, but something else. I may be completely wrong ... it's happened before.

As for "nonmonotheism", BTW, would you be content with its status as a legitimate word if I hyphenated it "non-monotheism"?