non-monotheistic

Google Chrome spell check says yes.
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM

RE: Atheist religions?
Irrational beliefs of Buddhism:

Reincarnation
Holiness of the Dalai Lama
A strange bureaucratic organization of the afterlife (Chinese Buddhism specifically) (sigh.. reminds me of Mormons)
etc etc etc

Deity, spirit, ancestor... the difference to me is minimal. Their demagogues are as dangerous as other religions' demagogues, their wars are bloody, and their attitude that they know the 'truth' is as equally entrenched. So, I'm not so sure Buddhism deserves any special dispensation for being anything special except 'just another set of unproven beliefs'.
03-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Perhaps it is the only major religion never to lead to bloodshed? Please correct me if I am wrong.
03-09-2010, 02:51 PM

As I recall, Buddhist monks setting themselves afire in protest over policies in South Vietnam in the mid-1960s were a major factor in a military coup that resulted in a puppet government being installed in Saigon, as the US was building up to open intervention in Vietnam. The followers of the Dalai Lama have been involved in clashes with Chinese police/military. I'm not sure if those count.

All religions have their extremists ... I agree with dtwpuck (you a redwings fan?)
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM

(03-09-2010 02:35 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Perhaps it is the only major religion never to lead to bloodshed? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Teachings in Buddhism were the basis for Japan's invasion of China in 1938. Thousands died.

Additionally, the fact that certain major premises of Buddhism meshed so well with fascism, and the supposed "divinity" of the Japanese Emperor (who was Buddhist) led to Japan's involvement in World War II. Also, Japanese Kamikaze pilots were trained by Buddhist monks.

This information came out of "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens, from the chapter "There is no Eastern Solution".
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
(03-09-2010 03:15 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  
(03-09-2010 02:35 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Perhaps it is the only major religion never to lead to bloodshed? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Teachings in Buddhism were the basis for Japan's invasion of China in 1938. Thousands died.

Additionally, the fact that certain major premises of Buddhism meshed so well with fascism, and the supposed "divinity" of the Japanese Emperor (who was Buddhist) led to Japan's involvement in World War II. Also, Japanese Kamikaze pilots were trained by Buddhist monks.

This information came out of "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens, from the chapter "There is no Eastern Solution".

Just a minor point, but just for clarity's sake the Emperor of Japan is seen divine due to Shintoism, which more Japanese mix with Buddhism, not Buddhist practices alone. But I know that wasn't your point.

But yeah. Wasn't there a mess in Tibet just recently involving Buddhist monks, too?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:Additionally, the fact that certain major premises of Buddhism meshed so well with fascism, and the supposed "divinity" of the Japanese Emperor (who was Buddhist) led to Japan's involvement in World War II

Which aspect of WWII? Their attempts to subjugate their Asian neighbors? Maybe. Their attack on Pear Harbor? Absolutely not. That had nothing to do with Buddhism, Fascism or any other ism. The US supplied steel and oil to Japan. After they invaded China we pulled back. We then started supporting the Chinese fighting against the Japanese, and we finally not only suspended all oil sales from the US to Japan but were threatening to cut their supply lines to other sources of oil. We backed them into a corner and left them few options.

Japan did not really want war with the US because their leaders knew it would stretch them beyond their resource capabilities. Their plan was to take out the fleet and force us into a peace on their terms. They screwed up and missed the carriers, and then we anticipated them trying to cement their position at Midway. Once they lost at Midway, they were in deep trouble. I suppose they could have still won the war, nothing is certain, but once the US destroyed a larger part of their fleet at the battle of Midway and they did not have the means to really replenish what they lost, their defeat was pretty much inevitable.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 03:50 PM

(03-09-2010 03:25 PM)BnW Wrote:  Which aspect of WWII? Their attempts to subjugate their Asian neighbors? Maybe. Their attack on Pear Harbor? Absolutely not. That had nothing to do with Buddhism, Fascism or any other ism. The US supplied steel and oil to Japan. After they invaded China we pulled back. We then started supporting the Chinese fighting against the Japanese, and we finally not only suspended all oil sales from the US to Japan but were threatening to cut their supply lines to other sources of oil. We backed them into a corner and left them few options.

Japan did not really want war with the US because their leaders knew it would stretch them beyond their resource capabilities. Their plan was to take out the fleet and force us into a peace on their terms. They screwed up and missed the carriers, and then we anticipated them trying to cement their position at Midway. Once they lost at Midway, they were in deep trouble. I suppose they could have still won the war, nothing is certain, but once the US destroyed a larger part of their fleet at the battle of Midway and they did not have the means to really replenish what they lost, their defeat was pretty much inevitable.

Interesting points, thank you for that. Smile
03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Ok then. I stand corrected like I wanted to be.
03-09-2010, 04:39 PM

I think that the problem is not WHAT we as people believe, but WHY we as people believe. I think that every sort of belief system can have it's moral problems.

The real solution to this (IMHO) is that we learn to rely on each other as a people and not fall back on imaginary constructs. If we can all learn to pull ourselves up by our proverbial bootstraps and just think for ourselves instead of looking to untestable belief systems, then I think we would be fine as a people and less prone to killing each other over border disputes and dusty, self-contradicting books.