Atheist's need to "advertise"????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Atheist's need to "advertise"????
I just read a page on another forum about how are we going to abolish religion if we don't spend money on billboards and such like the Christians do. This article said that Atheists don't support the "cause".

I am not sure why we have this "cause" in the first place. Doesn't everyone have the right to their own beliefs? I do think we need to keep religion out of schools and government, but not individual beliefs.

I also know that when one tries to educate Christians, one loses all their friends Sadcryface I live in a 45 unit senior complex and I don't have a single friend here anymore. I scare them. I make sense and that is something they can't handle....because making sense of the bible is defying god. It makes me wish I had just kept my mouth shut and left them to their beliefs no matter how stupid I think they are.

Please remember the Native American Indians Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like justauntb's post
02-12-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: Atheist's need to "advertise"????
Sounds like a group just looking for donations to me. I do think some, like the FFRF, for example, are worthy of support because they take on the challenges to keep religion out of our schools and govt. But donations for an "atheist cause". ehhh, not for me.

I am sorry to hear that friendship is so hard for you just because you are out of the closet. Sad

Seek out some local atheist groups that you can connect with, maybe you can make some local friendships that way?

and hang out here of course Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
No, we need them! Someone has to shout out loud about it to start the conversation in society. And it works - the bill boards were covered in my local news today.

The more often the word "atheist" is used publicly, the more people will talk about it, and the more people come out of the closet.

It's the same process gays had to go through in the 70s, and women, and pot smokers... it's how society changes. Someone had to make noise to get the ball rolling.

They are doing a super important job. Not a comfortable one, this cannot happen without friction, but it has to start some place and I am damn glad that the time has come.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
(02-12-2014 01:45 PM)justauntb Wrote:  I just read a page on another forum about how are we going to abolish religion if we don't spend money on billboards and such like the Christians do. This article said that Atheists don't support the "cause".

I am not sure why we have this "cause" in the first place. Doesn't everyone have the right to their own beliefs? I do think we need to keep religion out of schools and government, but not individual beliefs.

I also know that when one tries to educate Christians, one loses all their friends Sadcryface I live in a 45 unit senior complex and I don't have a single friend here anymore. I scare them. I make sense and that is something they can't handle....because making sense of the bible is defying god. It makes me wish I had just kept my mouth shut and left them to their beliefs no matter how stupid I think they are.

You're predicament (being ostracized because you are an atheist) is the very cause that these organizations are fighting for.

Just sayin.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 05:00 PM by RogueWarrior.)
(02-12-2014 01:45 PM)justauntb Wrote:  I just read a page on another forum about how are we going to abolish religion if we don't spend money on billboards and such like the Christians do. This article said that Atheists don't support the "cause".

You have all the friends you need right here.Hug

You can lead a horse to water...
Just be yourself, be courteous as you normally would, help when you can and be ready to answer questions. Being preachy doesn't work.
Know where your morality comes from, hint: empathy.
02-12-2014, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 08:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
Here's this year's American Atheist's Saturnalia billboard.
[Image: xmas.png]

I'm glad someone is doing it but it ain't my cup of tea. And religious proselytization or political proponency of any kind can cost you your job where I work.

Couldn't help myself. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-12-2014, 11:53 AM

I recently came out to my family a few months back and one of the main reasons is that the things like billboards and youtube channels made me not afraid to be myself anymore. I wasn't lying about it to people or anything, I just avoided the question if it came up, mostly because of my wife. I knew that there would be some risks at actually owning up to it by from what I read but I realized that I need to be honest. I learned that from realizing that I am not alone and not crazy. I feel bad for you that people are avoiding you in your community that isn't right and they should be ashamed of themselves.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Last year during the Superbowl this commercial for atheism was advertised.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-12-2014, 10:48 PM
If you want to be apart of an organization, be apart of one. If you don't, you don't need to and people shouldn't be aggressive or angry at others for not viewing it in their organizational way.

Acknowledging people across the world who share their view but not all their opinions is beneficial for the groups anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
As an atheist, I just am. No soap boxes, just quietly minding my own business, until some arrogant religious snot starts expounding on gays. I'm not gay but I am !00% for human rights for all, not just the religious righteous. I'll start pulling up biblical quotes about stoning women to death for speaking out. Or stoning obstreperous children to death. Or asking if they would sacrifice their son so the neighbors didn't sin? No, of course they wouldn't. It's best if those people don't get me started because I will embarrass the hell out of them. They don't know I'm atheist, just their need to expound their religious believes on others.