Atheist student sues school over prayer banner. WINS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Atheist student sues school over prayer banner. WINS!
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top...moved.html

Quote:By Todd Starnes/TWITTER

A federal judge has ruled that a Rhode Island high school must tear down a prayer banner that encouraged students to be kind and helpful because it offended non-Christians and was a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

U.S. District Court Judge Ronald Lagueux ruled that the prayer banner at Cranston High School West must be removed immediately because it promotes religion. Jessica Ahlquist, an atheist student, had sued the city of Cranston and the high school after they initially refused to remove the banner.

The prayer, which has been posted at the school for decades, begins with the words “Our Heavenly Father” and ends with “Amen.” It encouraged students to be kind, to do their best in school and to learn the true value of friendship.

“We are so proud of Jessica for fighting to protect church-state separation,” American Humanist Association Executive Director Roy Speckhardt said in a written statement. “Seh recognized injustice, stood up for what is right, and persevered in the face of harassment. She fought for the rights of nonbelievers and religious minorities and is an example for everyone.”

City officials defended the mural and called it a historical artifact – noting that it served no specific religious purpose. It’s unclear when or if the school will remove the banner.

David Bradley, the man who authored the prayer when he was a seventh grade student, told WPRO that he is furious about the court ruling.

“I am upset, disappointed and not to say, outraged,” he told WPRO. “It’s a shame that some judge with an appointment out of a Cracker Jack box can make a ruling like that.”

Bradley said the student who filed a lawsuit is being used as a pawn by the American Civil Liberties Union.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: Atheist student sues school over prayer banner. WINS!
Not bad really, just not sure if it's worth it. I understand that this is a matter of principal etc
I am just not sure what else but setting an example it is supposed to do. Because that girl and the atheists aren't sleeping better from it, it did not solve a real issue. How is it offending to have the banner as long as she does not have to pray it... really...
I am not being ignorant - at least I try not to - just don't see why to make noise about that.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
12-01-2012, 02:48 PM
(12-01-2012 02:29 PM)Leela Wrote:  Not bad really, just not sure if it's worth it. I understand that this is a matter of principal etc
I am just not sure what else but setting an example it is supposed to do. Because that girl and the atheists aren't sleeping better from it, it did not solve a real issue. How is it offending to have the banner as long as she does not have to pray it... really...
I am not being ignorant - at least I try not to - just don't see why to make noise about that.

Well, as an atheist I personally woulnd't want my impressionable daughter to pass down a hallway every hour with a prayer on the wall. At least not somewhere that I really don't have a choice but to send her. Having it there makes it seem like it's acceptable to believe in God. In my house it is not. I find it so ridiculous that I'd be embarassed if my daughter believed. Obviously I won't be able to control what other people say or what her friends at school believe but IMO every little bit helps.

Think about how the Christian parents would feel if instead of Heavenly Father or Amen it referenced Allah. I mean, the school itself claims it doesn't promote any kind of religoin and is harmless. I bet if it was a Quran quote they wouldn't find it as harmless because they don't want their Christian ideals compromised by people acting like Islam is A-OK. I don't want my daughter's education (natural science, biology, astronomy, etc) compromised by Christian ideals.

I'd feel differently if it was a college or something like that. By the time she's old enough for that I believe she will be learned enough to understand the absurdity of theism.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
12-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Isn't it more important what you teach your daughter at home in such cases?
"Don't look at the prayer part of it but at the message it gives" (in this case "be good to others and study well")
And educate your child to a level where it can answer and question should it get into a stupid debate at school?
I assume that a teenager who sues the school is fit enought to do that.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I agree with germanyt, and for other reasons in addition
Seperation of church and state, that lawsuit however frivoulous the religious make it out to be
its in defense of the constitution, and that's that. Either they put up a prayer for every religion
and also put up a giant "you know it's a myth" and the FSM prayers or they dont hang anything up.
It's only when people let the small things slide, that the religious move in with bigger projects.
Kudos for the student.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 4 users Like Jackrabbit's post
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
(12-01-2012 03:31 PM)Leela Wrote:  Isn't it more important what you teach your daughter at home in such cases?
"Don't look at the prayer part of it but at the message it gives" (in this case "be good to others and study well")
And educate your child to a level where it can answer and question should it get into a stupid debate at school?
I assume that a teenager who sues the school is fit enought to do that.

I totally see your point. I do. But I wonder, like JR said, what will be hanging up next if everyone just gets complacent? Next it'll be a crucifix with a prayer. Then a stained glass Mary Magdelene with a prayer. And before you know it, a crucifix and a Virgin Mary with no prayer. And it'll be so familiar by that point that no one will say anything.

-Mark Twain
12-01-2012, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 04:01 PM by Jackrabbit.)
has anyone heard of the case they're trying to make that the cross is a secular symbol?

absolutely ridiculous

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
(12-01-2012 03:51 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  has anyone heard of the case they're trying to make that the cross is a secular symbol?

absolutely ridiculous

Yeah. Bunch of people fighting over cemetary plots with crosses IIRC.

-Mark Twain
12-01-2012, 03:56 PM
(12-01-2012 03:31 PM)Leela Wrote:  Isn't it more important what you teach your daughter at home in such cases?

I think this is precisely the issue. It's just as important for us to teach those ideals at home as it is for christians, muslims, etc etc. The point is that we should ALL be keeping those lessons at home. Why is it that an atheist parent must also be expected to "un-teach" their kids because it's "petty" to demand that church and state remain seperate in schools? It's hard enough raising a child these days without also having to explain to them that they have to read the message into crap like this, all the while disregarding the way the message is presented.

This case may seem like it's petty, but I don't think it is at all. Even though religous folks who wish to covertly push their agenda on our kids would like to paint it that way.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
(12-01-2012 03:56 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

I think this is precisely the issue. It's just as important for us to teach those ideals at home as it is for christians, muslims, etc etc. The point is that we should ALL be keeping those lessons at home. Why is it that an atheist parent must also be expected to "un-teach" their kids because it's "petty" to demand that church and state remain seperate in schools? It's hard enough raising a child these days without also having to explain to them that they have to read the message into crap like this, all the while disregarding the way the message is presented.

This case may seem like it's petty, but I don't think it is at all. Even though religous folks who wish to covertly push their agenda on our kids would like to paint it that way.

This. It's not a war on religion. It's a war on those that would indoctrinate our children if given the chance.

-Mark Twain