Atheist tells high schoolers God is evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Wink Atheist tells high schoolers God is evil
[Image: llolgk-b78799160z.120110523205059000gnvvi4fp.2.jpg]
Bruce Gleason, founder of Backyard Skeptics, told a small gathering of students at Northwood High School in Irvine that the God of the Bible is "actually evil." Gleason pointed out that slavery and rape are mentioned without criticism in the Bible. (Full Article Orange County Register)

It's about time someone came out and said what the Bible makes so obvious, in a public venue. Good for Mr.Gleason.

This reminds me of an occult title that was written some years ago, "Sophia Bestiae: The Wisdom of the Beast" by Peter O'Toole.
Sounds like Mr. Gleason read it.

Product Description

After almost 2000 years of indoctrination, Man now has the chance to see God is His true light. Sophia Bestiae re-examines God, His origins and His behaviour - substantiated throughout with supporting Biblical passages - and proves that far from being the hero of the Judeo-Christian religion, He is evil incarnate. The Sophia Bestiae shows that Revelations 13:18 was correct in that the Time of the Beast is now, but that The Beast is in fact Mankind - the true enemy of God. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. Indexed for ease of use and quick reference, the Sophia Bestiae is an excellent reference guide for both beginners in religious studies and advanced. For anyone who has ever noticed the contradictory behaviour of God, or has ever called their Faith into doubt, then the Sophia Bestiae will explain why. After reading the Sophia Bestiae you will be in no doubt whatsoever as to the Secret Nature of God - and why He is planning Armageddon. Other books, such as the Black Bible, have looked at the hypocrisy and inconsistencies and evil prevalent in the Bible, but never before has a book shown the True Nature of God - a Being to be feared by Man as He is most definitely NOT our benefactor - he is our Nemesis.
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 02:32 PM
RE: Atheist tells high schoolers God is evil
Christian outcry in : 5 , 4 , 3 , 2 ...

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Do you have more information surrounding the events. In the interest of equality and keeping the topic out of schools altogether, I couldn't agree with this if it was a mandatory thing, or held in an active class. If it was just a meeting held on school grounds(like one of many religious clubs they that are allowed on public school grounds), then I think it's great.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
24-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:You will never see an atheist suicide bomber

Bollocks: The Viet Cong were secular communists and they used suicide bombers called sappers. Suicide bombing is not unique to religious groups or causes, it is simply a reliable tactic when engaging in asymetrical warfare. Just sayin.

Evil incarnate? Come on. Hyperbole much?

Freedom of speech and all, have at it, I have no problem in particular, I am however, just a little saddened. Atheists need to find something better to do than telling Theists how bad they are (or telling students how bad Theists are). Can't you just find something positive to preach?

Peace and Love and Emapthy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
24-05-2011, 05:58 PM

(24-05-2011 05:44 PM)Ghost Wrote:  

Bollocks: The Viet Cong were secular communists and they used suicide bombers called sappers. Suicide bombing is not unique to religious groups or causes, it is simply a reliable tactic when engaging in asymetrical warfare. Just sayin.

Yes, what you're "just sayin" is that you don't know the difference between a political ideology, like Communism, and atheism. Which is not. Ergo, those suicide bombers known as Sappers were not atheists! They were Communists and suicide bombers.
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2011 08:02 PM by nontheocrat.)

Freedom of speech and all, have at it, I have no problem in particular, I am however, just a little saddened. Atheists need to find something better to do than telling Theists how bad they are (or telling students how bad Theists are). Can't you just find something positive to preach?

Matt

Bollocks to your Bollocks! The Viet Cong did not kill in the name of atheism, they killed in the name of Communism! Atheism is nothing more than an absence of belief in god, it cannot provide the kind of motivation necessary to kill someone. All humans have to have a philosophy above and beyond atheism, and that philosophy CAN provide this motivation.

To say that the Viet Cong committed suicide in the name of atheism is just as unjust as blaming Christianity for slavery in the American South. Yes, most slave owners in the South were Christian and used scripture to justify it. Yet they would have still kept slaves no matter what religion they were because of greed and racism. Their pro-slavery position was not caused by Christianity in my opinion, and it should not be blamed for it, nor should atheism should not be blamed for the Viet Cong.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Matt

In the name of their secular communism... Not atheism...

More or less the point people kill in the name of something they believe in, ( Types of government/religion/[Insert standpoint here] ) not something they don't believe in.
24-05-2011, 10:30 PM
That is the weakest string of defences ever. They were Atheists. They were not-theists. Religion played zero role for them. Like their communist bretheren, they were against religion. And they used suicide bombers. Suck it up. This guy, like many others, is trying to say that without religion, if everyone was just Atheist and didn't follow that evil incarnate made up God, then we'd be safe from the big bad suicide bombers. Well sorry to rain on his parade, but that's simply not true. These guys had nothing to do with religion and they used the tactic. Rewrite history all you want, suicide attacks are a tactic in warfare, not a way for the religious to get brownie points. It can be used that way, sure, but that's not what it's for.

He said you'll never see an Atheist suicide bomber and that's demonstrably false. Accept it.

And for the record, despite the fact that I never used the words "in the name of" or anything remotely close, which invalidates all of your criticisms, if a communist kills a Theist because they don't want religion in their proletariat paradise, then they are killing in the name of Atheism.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
24-05-2011, 11:04 PM
What Ghost said first is correct. They were atheists, and they killed people by suicide bomb. That does not mean, however, that they were motivated by their atheism (in the sense of mere disbelief in a God or gods) to kill people by suicide bomb - but they were still (predominately) atheist suicide bombers.

I think Ghost defines atheism in the sense of Atheist - Agnostic - Theist, as opposed to this:

[Image: atheist_chart.gif]

"...if a communist kills a Theist because they don't want religion in their proletariat paradise, then they are killing in the name of Atheism."

Not as the majority of us define it as. It would seem that you mean atheism as more than just desbelief, otherwise they could not possibly be motivated to do anything because of it.
We are motivated to do things by beliefs and worldviews, like anti-theism and skepticism, but not disbelief in god.

I have heard the statement that "You will never see an atheist suicide bomber", and I agree to an extent. You won't see a suicide bomber killing in the name of atheism, and the numbers of atheist suicide bombers is pitifully small.

[Image: 1280914229181.jpg]

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
25-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey, Daemonowner.

There's still some linguistic gymnastics and rationalisations going on here.

I define Atheism both ways. I accept both definitions. But if one is saying that Atheists are non-Theists, then obviously secular communists are straight up Atheists.

The notion of "killing in the name of" reframes the issue by making the danger of suicide bombing the result of religious fanaticism. But the danger is not that, the danger is a dude strapped with explosives blowing up. It doesn't matter what they are doing it in the name of, what matters is that they are doing it. When someone says, "you'll never see an Atheist suicide bomber," they are saying that you'll never see someone suicide bomb in the name of Atheism, therefore, and this is where it falls apart, if the world was filled with Atheists, there would be no suicide bombers. That is that part of this that is demonstrably false as evidenced by the Viet Cong, which I am certain are not the only examples. What the Viet Cong illustrate is that suicide bombing has nothing to do with religious belief, but rather to do with the nature of asymmetrical warfare. If Al-Qaida had a standing army and Tomahawk missiles, they'd be using tanks and planes instead of suicide bombers. The fact that is being obfuscated by this man's claim is that Atheism in no way protects us from suicide bombers. Not fighting (attacking and/or being attacked by) a foe using the asymmetrical warfare strategy protects us from suicide bombers and nothing else.

Daemonowner Wrote:Not as the majority of us define it as. It would seem that you mean atheism as more than just desbelief, otherwise they could not possibly be motivated to do anything because of it.
We are motivated to do things by beliefs and worldviews, like anti-theism and skepticism, but not disbelief in god.

Now here, you may have a good point. If a people disbelieve in God and want everyone in their society to have that same disbelief and kill those who do believe in order to achieve that aim, then they are killing in the name of Atheism, that is to say, they are trying to create an Atheist society and kill people to achieve that end. Now perhaps you are right in that, and I admit that the no-assertion thing does confuse me from time to time when we get really specific about it, someone needs to be an anti-Theist to kill Theists, meaning they'd be killing in the name of anti-Theism. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's a good conversation to have. My gut says that killing in the name of anti-Theism means killing Theists for being Theists, making them a target of hatred, while killing in the name of Atheism means killing Theists because you don't want anything other than Atheism, simply making them the logical target. But I grant that the point is debatable.

In the case of the Viet Cong, I don't think they were killing in the name of Atheism, I think they were killing in the name of communism. That being said, they were Atheist suicide bombers, so the man's statement is still false.

The last little bit of mental gymnastics is the idea that there are a pitifully small number of Atheist suicide bombers. That's utterly irrelevant. In 1885 there were a pitifully small number of automobiles, but now there are millions of them. That's because we don't live in a vacuum but in a larger context. Conditions play a huge role and conditions change. If one looks at the distribution of Atheists, I'd wager that the lion's share of them reside in the West where there are massive standing armies. These Atheists do not have to engage in asymmetrical warfare, so there is no need for them to suicide bomb. In North Vietnam, an underpowered force was engaged in battle with an overwhelming force in the form of the US military. Asymmetrical warfare was the only viable way to fight and suicide bombing was a notable tactic of that strategy. Given the proper environmental conditions there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Atheism in and of itself would prevent people from engaging in asymmetrical warfare and suicide bombing.

All of this is to say that the statement "you'll never see a suicide bomber" is demonstrably false, that the frame it relies on, that suicide bombing is caused by religious fanaticism, is demonstrably false and that the fact that is obfuscated by this stance is that Atheism in no way protects us from suicide bombers. All of that being said, whether or not there are Atheist suicide bombers killing in the name of Atheism, or if there are suicide bombers who are Atheist who cannot kill in the name of Atheism, is debatable.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt