Atheist that believes in god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Atheist that believes in god?
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/10...?hpt=hp_t2

This made my head hurt to read it. I don't feel you can have it both ways. I'm sure it would make a whole lot of sense to a believer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rockingrandma's post
10-06-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: Atheist that believes in god?
(10-06-2014 04:52 PM)Rockingrandma Wrote:  http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/10...?hpt=hp_t2

This made my head hurt to read it. I don't feel you can have it both ways. I'm sure it would make a whole lot of sense to a believer.

I'm sure it doesn't make sense to anyone because it's impossible to be an Atheist and believe in a deity. That's like calling yourself a vegan and eating steak. It's an oxymoron.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 6 users Like JDog554's post
10-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Dude believes being an atheist is about trusting science. He's wrong and/or a liar.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Seems like an acute case of compartmentalization.

He's boxed up his god and put it somewhere outside of the real world where it isn't affected by the science and comparitive religion of which he is rationally aware.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
10-06-2014, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 07:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
I liked it. It's kinda like what I mean when I say "I am my own personal Jesus. My own personal Lord and Savior. My own Redeemer. My own creator." It's just that I'm unaware of the vast majority of the processes that continuously regenerate and recreate and refine and redefine "me". I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!. Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain. It's just a matter of putting God in the proper context. And I've found He can be manipulated with pharmaceuticals. And He ain't at all happy 'bout that. Feeble God.
oh. And Gwynnies! Tongue

[Image: gwynnies.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
(10-06-2014 06:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I liked it. It's kinda like what I mean when I say "I am my own personal Jesus. My own personal Lord and Savior. My own Redeemer. My own creator." It's just that I'm unaware of the vast majority of processes that continuously recreate and refine and redefine "me". I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!. Pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain. It's just a matter of putting God in the proper context.

Gwynnies! Tongue

[Image: gwynnies.jpg]

Where's a wardrobe malfunction when you need one?
10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
(10-06-2014 04:52 PM)Rockingrandma Wrote:  http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/10...?hpt=hp_t2

He said he believes in a "spiritual reality" and a creator. Dude thinks he special. He's not. He's not an atheist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-06-2014, 06:41 PM

I skimmed the article before my iPad crashed.

I don't know tho. I read parts as I skimmed that the writer believes evolution...et al. They also mentioned that what you believe or don't, depends largely on where you were born, influences and parents. In that respect I do agree.

For year's even after I was an atheist, I continued to pray -- not to god or even the universe -- just to anything...to feel not so completely alone maybe.

Now at times when I meditate I get the same feelings. The clarity or confirmation bias...whatever.

I do kinda get it tho.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I guess my biggest problem with this dreck is that I can see it being used against us, usually by well meaning family members that have no worldly clue that being an atheist and believing in a creator are mutually exclusive. This dingbat has written a book about this!
10-06-2014, 07:04 PM
We have Atheist apologetics now ?

Debates are not meaningless, atheists arise more from deconverted theists then mere circumstance.
It may be years post debate when reason rallies.

This guy is in that bullshit denial zone and needs to research more then his own ideals.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post