Atheist that believes in god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 11:20 PM
RE: Atheist that believes in god?
Atheist means not a theist. So you could be a atheist deist right? At least, strictly as a definition.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 12:15 AM
These people are not atheists they are Deists. Get it s straight.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
11-06-2014, 12:34 AM
(10-06-2014 11:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Atheist means not a theist. So you could be a atheist deist right? At least, strictly as a definition.

Agnostic theist, agnostic deist maybe, Atheism is a crossing of the bullshit divide, there is no way back apart from selfserving delusions of grandeur and or mental health issues.

Well there is a simple way from atheism to theism, they just have to present some evidence, anything really.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Actually I don't believe you can be an agnostic deist, but technically you can be an atheistic deist.

Quote:Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[1] In a more specific sense, theism is commonly a monotheistic doctrine concerning the nature of a deity, and that deity's relationship to the universe.[2][3][4][5] Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. As such theism describes the classical conception of God that is found in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Sikhism and Hinduism. The use of the word theism to indicate this classical form of monotheism began during the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century in order to distinguish it from the then-emerging deism which contended that God, though transcendent and supreme, did not intervene in the natural world and could be known rationally but not via revelation.
11-06-2014, 01:01 AM
(10-06-2014 08:06 PM)Rockingrandma Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 06:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I skimmed the article before my iPad crashed.

I don't know tho. I read parts as I skimmed that the writer believes evolution...et al. They also mentioned that what you believe or don't, depends largely on where you were born, influences and parents. In that respect I do agree.

For year's even after I was an atheist, I continued to pray -- not to god or even the universe -- just to anything...to feel not so completely alone maybe.

Now at times when I meditate I get the same feelings. The clarity or confirmation bias...whatever.

I do kinda get it tho.

I think the reason you kinda get it is because he's a damn good bullshitter. The ability to be a great bullshitter starts with knowing your audience and telling them what they want to hear, interspersed with your own ideology. He talks about natural selection, psychology, chemistry, then he says "I also believe that a spiritual reality hovering over, in and through me calls me to love, trust and hear the voice of my creator."

He's grinning saying "Look! I know science! I'm not like those stupid backwater young earthers!" What you don't hear is the mental "Praise God!" after.

So not everything he's saying is dumb. It makes sense. Go and watch a Charles Manson interview. If you relax and don't immediately put your guard up because it's Charlie Manson, what he says makes a lot of sense too. This guy makes just enough sense to pull you in, then tone down his bullshit so you don't realize you're being spoon fed his excrement.

As I wrote earlier I skimmed the article before my iPad crashed -- skimming shouldn't be confused with reading.

I did eventually read the whole article, as opposed the initial skim, on the computer.

I agree there was a lot of compartmentalizing. I've known many theist types who do believe in science (they tend to lean toward god of the gaps -- other stuff). That's where this guy exists...he'll cling to that because it makes him feel better.

Whatever floats his boat.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-06-2014, 02:10 AM
(11-06-2014 12:42 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Actually I don't believe you can be an agnostic deist, but technically you can be an atheistic deist.

Quote:Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[1] In a more specific sense, theism is commonly a monotheistic doctrine concerning the nature of a deity, and that deity's relationship to the universe.[2][3][4][5] Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. As such theism describes the classical conception of God that is found in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Sikhism and Hinduism. The use of the word theism to indicate this classical form of monotheism began during the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century in order to distinguish it from the then-emerging deism which contended that God, though transcendent and supreme, did not intervene in the natural world and could be known rationally but not via revelation.

No, you have that reversed. Atheist from the greek A- without Theo- God Agnostic mean without knowledge so one could easily be an agnostic Deist (not sure there is a god but thinking there could be) but never an atheist deist (not believing in god but believing in god).

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Re: RE: Atheist that believes in god?
(11-06-2014 12:42 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Actually I don't believe you can be an agnostic deist, but technically you can be an atheistic deist.

What the post above mine says is accurate to the point.

But I think there's an issue in thinking how you've thought in this post, which is, you are appealing to the words origin and a period of it's tradition as if it determines it's meaning.

Language and words evolve. The theism being contrasting to deism isn't very relevant today. If we wanted to use words traditionally we would call Christians atheist since they don't believe in the Roman pantheon.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Nope, atheistic deist is not possible. Atheism is the rejection of any deity. Believing in a God cancel's out Atheism no matter how you view that God.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
11-06-2014, 04:19 PM
(10-06-2014 11:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Atheist means not a theist. So you could be a atheist deist right? At least, strictly as a definition.

Nope.
A deist believes god(s) exist. This disqualifies them from being an atheist.
11-06-2014, 04:20 PM
I didn't read the article. But my question is, if someone says they are an atheist...but believe in a higher power of some kind....wouldnt that just make them agnostic?