Atheist that believes in god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2014, 04:30 PM
RE: Atheist that believes in god?
(11-06-2014 04:20 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I didn't read the article. But my question is, if someone says they are an atheist...but believe in a higher power of some kind....wouldnt that just make them agnostic?

Yeah but you know... *cough* idiots *cough*

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 04:35 PM
(11-06-2014 04:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 04:20 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I didn't read the article. But my question is, if someone says they are an atheist...but believe in a higher power of some kind....wouldnt that just make them agnostic?

Yeah but you know... *cough* idiots *cough*

Crap. You're right. My bad. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't read the article. It's just too painful.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
11-06-2014, 06:30 PM
(11-06-2014 06:25 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Don't read the article. It's just too painful.

I'm afraid to read it at night because it might give me nightmares.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
11-06-2014, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 07:38 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(11-06-2014 06:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 06:25 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Don't read the article. It's just too painful.

I'm afraid to read it at night because it might give me nightmares.

As a lifelong agnostic who is actively sought religious faith, I have to say this article was honestly the most offensive thing I've read in quite some time, and if it's not a reverse Poe to de-legitimize atheism as reasonable world you, the other is either see if you leave diluted, or someone at CNN is pushing an agenda with a mouthpiece

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
11-06-2014, 06:48 PM
(11-06-2014 06:37 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 06:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm afraid to read it at night because it might give me nightmares.

As a lifelong agnostic who is actively sought a religious faith 40 sense of belonging meaning and purpose I have to say this article was honestly the most offensive thing I've read in quite some time, and if it's not a reverse Poe to de-legitimize atheism as reasonable world you, the other is either see if you leave diluted, or someone at CNN is pushing an agenda with a mouthpiece

Reread it. Still like it. Tongue

#sigh
11-06-2014, 06:52 PM
(11-06-2014 06:37 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 06:30 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm afraid to read it at night because it might give me nightmares.

As a lifelong agnostic who is actively sought a religious faith 40 sense of belonging meaning and purpose I have to say this article was honestly the most offensive thing I've read in quite some time, and if it's not a reverse Poe to de-legitimize atheism as reasonable world you, the other is either see if you leave diluted, or someone at CNN is pushing an agenda with a mouthpiece

I heaven't read it. The term "Atheist who believes in God" keeps me away from all the other bull crap that's probably in the article.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
11-06-2014, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 07:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-06-2014 06:52 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 06:37 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  As a lifelong agnostic who is actively sought a religious faith 40 sense of belonging meaning and purpose I have to say this article was honestly the most offensive thing I've read in quite some time, and if it's not a reverse Poe to de-legitimize atheism as reasonable world you, the other is either see if you leave diluted, or someone at CNN is pushing an agenda with a mouthpiece

I heaven't read it. The term "Atheist who believes in God" keeps me away from all the other bull crap that's probably in the article.

I would counter that an atheist can assert there are no external deities while remaining mute regarding internal deities. Girly's more "meist" or "weist" than "atheist". But I took a lotta LSD and PCP when I was your age. So there's that. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-06-2014, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 08:03 PM by rampant.a.i..)
It's mostly things like:

Quote:Don’t delude yourself: There are no ultimate reasons for anything, just circumstances.

Ok, seams reasonable...

Quote:If you want to be sure you have “the truth” about yourself and our universe, then prepare to go mad. Or prepare to turn off your brain and cling to some form or other of fundamentalism, whether religious or secular.

[Image: u5u9enur.jpg]

"I can't understand things from a rationalist standpoint, you can't either."

This is not saying "I don't know, let's find out," it's embracing the same kind of smug, self-satisfied attitude that reinforces ignorance.

[Image: ypa2umas.jpg]

And it's not just a poetic way of saying "absolute truth doesn't exist," so much as the author discovering that the Cogito doesn't actually work, and switching gears to "anything and everything is now true because nothing is absolutely true."

[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
11-06-2014, 08:21 PM
(11-06-2014 07:57 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  And it's not just a poetic way of saying "absolute truth doesn't exist," so much as the author discovering that the Cogito doesn't actually work, and switching gears to "anything and everything is now true because nothing is absolutely true."

Like going from 1st to 6th gear in a single shift. You can do it but you gotta know what you're doing. Realizing cogito don't work is more like swapping transmissions than switching gears. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post