Atheist the new Villain in movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
RE: Atheist the new Villain in movies
(06-11-2010 11:21 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Would it be possible that the story of Jesus is based on an earlier pagan myth , or as mono-theism suggests , a mix of pagan myths ?

The Black Sea was a lake at first and due to various natural "calamities" it became connected with the ocean. Some suggest this is were the flood myth comes from. Oral traditions due decay in time I suppose ?!

It is not only possible, it is documented fact that a lot, if not all, of the jesus story was taken from earlier pagan myths.(i.e, Egyptian god Horace born to the virgin Isis around 3000-4000 years ago, ditto the gods Ra and Mithra and a bunch of others).

The flood tale goes back to the time of Galgamesh, thousands of years before jesus. By the time of the biblical writing the flood story had been rewritten at least four times. Is it possible that the break through of the Mediteranian Sea into a lower than sea level lake creating the Black Sea is the origin of the story. I don't know because I don't know the time-line. If they match, then yes.

Oral traditions and all traditions, including written languages, either evolve and or decay. They never remain unchanged over time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2010, 10:13 PM
The Jesus story takes place roughly 3,000 years after the Old Testament was written so comparing it to the flood is not quite fair. But, you're correct that the flood mythology predates the Old Testament. So does the parting of the sea, although in earlier versions it's the Jordan that is parted and not the Red Sea.

I had not heard that Jesus could be part of an earlier myth but I suppose it is entirely possible. I think it's equally possible, though, that there was an actual man that inspired the early religious movement. I'm not saying he was a deity, but there could have been a person who inspired resistance to the Romans who formed the basis of the Jesus myth. I also wouldn't read a lot into there not being surviving Roman documentation. Obviously, not every document is going to survive 2,000 years.

Ultimately, whether or note Jesus was a real person is not important. If he was real, or the myth is based on a real person, it doesn't make the story any less of a myth.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-11-2010, 06:17 AM
(06-11-2010 09:09 PM)No J. Wrote:  The flood tale goes back to the time of Galgamesh,

I just realized I misspelled my username Tongue

Also , I think that as a mythological book , the bible has a quirky sense of dark humor.Sort of like the Bronze age version of Zombieland
I wonder if other religions have historical records of their prophets - I don't mean mother ones , but the older ones like Islam or Buddhism.