Atheist to Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Lightbulb Atheist to Believer
In 2008 I suffered a psychotic break. I saw, heard, and smelled a number of things as a result. This altered perception of the world resulted in my switch from rabid atheism to a belief in some sort of intelligent design. Some of my experiences could only have been engineered by a superior, all-powerful entity, particularly the voice in my head.

While I now suffer residual negative effects from this experience I still believe our lives are directed by something much bigger than ourselves and that everyone would benefit from a week of living in the psychotic state. I imagine it may be likened to alternate realities experienced through illegal drugs, although I, in no way, advocate their use.

That being said, I encourage those who don't believe to look past the rigid dogma of organized religion to see the bigger picture. This experience we're having isn't random. Proof of a creator is all around us. Look at the design of your hand. This in itself is proof that we are subjects of a consummate engineer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: Atheist to Believer
(12-01-2014 12:31 PM)RRex Wrote:  In 2008 I suffered a psychotic break. I saw, heard, and smelled a number of things as a result. This altered perception of the world resulted in my switch from rabid atheism to a belief in some sort of intelligent design. Some of my experiences could only have been engineered by a superior, all-powerful entity, particularly the voice in my head.

While I now suffer residual negative effects from this experience I still believe our lives are directed by something much bigger than ourselves and that everyone would benefit from a week of living in the psychotic state. I imagine it may be likened to alternate realities experienced through illegal drugs, although I, in no way, advocate their use.

That being said, I encourage those who don't believe to look past the rigid dogma of organized religion to see the bigger picture. This experience we're having isn't random. Proof of a creator is all around us. Look at the design of your hand. This in itself is proof that we are subjects of a consummate engineer.

Sounds about right. God and all belief in him is from a delusional/psychotic state.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-01-2014, 01:21 PM
The options beyond organized religion look just as vapid.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I think you should go see a doctor...at least a psychiatrist

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
12-01-2014, 01:27 PM
(12-01-2014 12:31 PM)RRex Wrote:  I imagine it may be likened to alternate realities experienced through illegal drugs, although I, in no way, advocate their use.

Seems more likely psychedelics and hallucinogens would lead to disbelief in the senses and the brain's interpretation of them rather than some higher power.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Sounds like you're still having that break a wee bit. Should go to the doctor.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-01-2014, 01:43 PM
As I expected, the responses are nasty. I used to be a snarky atheist too. Then I grew up and realized that my view of the world wasn't the only one there is.

While I'm dealing with the brain damage and am under a doctor's care, I'm no longer psychotic. The jabs weren't necessary, but I recognize them as the insults that are thrown when one enters atheist territory. Polite conversation goes out the window.
[+] 1 user Likes RRex's post
12-01-2014, 01:45 PM
(12-01-2014 01:43 PM)RRex Wrote:  As I expected, the responses are nasty. I used to be a snarky atheist too. Then I grew up and realized that my view of the world wasn't the only one there is.

While I'm dealing with the brain damage and am under a doctor's care, I'm no longer psychotic. The jabs weren't necessary, but I recognize them as the insults that are thrown when one enters atheist territory. Polite conversation goes out the window.

You expect anyone to accept the fact that you had a Psychotic break as proof of anything other than that? Take your sanctimonious pity party and shove it up your ass.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-01-2014, 01:48 PM
(12-01-2014 12:31 PM)RRex Wrote:  In 2008 I suffered a psychotic break. I saw, heard, and smelled a number of things as a result. This altered perception of the world resulted in my switch from rabid atheism to a belief in some sort of intelligent design. Some of my experiences could only have been engineered by a superior, all-powerful entity, particularly the voice in my head.

I opened my eyes, saw the world and experienced unintelligent design. I was instantly converted by my natural experience to naturalism.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
12-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I stand corrected. Civil conversation is impossible here.