Atheist to Believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2014, 01:50 PM
RE: Atheist to Believer
I woke up, thought and experienced logic. I was immediately converted to rationality.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
12-01-2014, 01:51 PM
(12-01-2014 01:48 PM)Baruch Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 12:31 PM)RRex Wrote:  In 2008 I suffered a psychotic break. I saw, heard, and smelled a number of things as a result. This altered perception of the world resulted in my switch from rabid atheism to a belief in some sort of intelligent design. Some of my experiences could only have been engineered by a superior, all-powerful entity, particularly the voice in my head.

While I now suffer residual negative effects from this experience I still believe our lives are directed by something much bigger than ourselves and that everyone would benefit from a week of living in the psychotic state. I imagine it may be likened to alternate realities experienced through illegal drugs, although I, in no way, advocate their use.

That being said, I encourage those who don't believe to look past the rigid dogma of organized religion to see the bigger picture. This experience we're having isn't random. Proof of a creator is all around us. Look at the design of your hand. This in itself is proof that we are subjects of a consummate engineer.

I opened my eyes, saw the world and experienced unintelligent design. I was instantly converted by my natural experience to naturalism.

Where did everything around us come from? Did it just pop into existence?
12-01-2014, 01:55 PM
(12-01-2014 12:31 PM)RRex Wrote:  In 2008 I suffered a psychotic break. I saw, heard, and smelled a number of things as a result. This altered perception of the world resulted in my switch from rabid atheism to a belief in some sort of intelligent design. Some of my experiences could only have been engineered by a superior, all-powerful entity, particularly the voice in my head.

While I now suffer residual negative effects from this experience I still believe our lives are directed by something much bigger than ourselves and that everyone would benefit from a week of living in the psychotic state. I imagine it may be likened to alternate realities experienced through illegal drugs, although I, in no way, advocate their use.

That being said, I encourage those who don't believe to look past the rigid dogma of organized religion to see the bigger picture. This experience we're having isn't random. Proof of a creator is all around us. Look at the design of your hand. This in itself is proof that we are subjects of a consummate engineer.

Your conclusion makes no sense. You admit that the voices in your head were the result of a psychotic break, but then say this leads you to the conclusion that the voice must be god? and did you really think this would be adequate to convince a community of people who are rational and think belief in a deity is delusional thinking?

You are either trolling, or you need to continue your treatment for your psychiatric issue.

If you are telling the truth, I do have sympathy for your psychiatric situation, as this is a serious and difficult condition. However, I do not have sympathy for your resulting turn to fairy tales.
[+] 1 user Likes meremortal's post
12-01-2014, 01:56 PM
(12-01-2014 01:51 PM)RRex Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 01:48 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I opened my eyes, saw the world and experienced unintelligent design. I was instantly converted by my natural experience to naturalism.

Where did everything around us come from? Did it just pop into existence?

It developed and evolved over billions of years. read a science book.
12-01-2014, 02:00 PM
So, the only way god could get to you was to break your mind? I thought that if he existed he wouldn't need to go to that extreme.

The things you experienced were due to the psychotic break...not miracles of god.

But, whatever keeps you out of bell tower...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-01-2014, 02:01 PM
1. I've read hundreds of science books. They have yet to explain the complexity of life.

2. I did not say I believe in a god. God implies religious intent. I am not religious and I do not believe this superior being exists to be worshipped.
12-01-2014, 02:04 PM
(12-01-2014 02:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So, the only way god could get to you was to break your mind? I thought that if he existed he wouldn't need to go to that extreme.

The things you experienced were due to the psychotic break...not miracles of god.

But, whatever keeps you out of bell tower...

I did not say god broke my mind. It happened. It was a negative reaction to a medication. "God" had nothing to do with it.

I labeled nothing a miracle.
So to experience this deity we have to go through something that alters the mind. Because straight, sober, and sane won't get you there?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
(12-01-2014 02:01 PM)RRex Wrote:  1. I've read hundreds of science books.

I doubt that.
[+] 2 users Like Foxen's post
12-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Abilify or Seroquil. I recommend those. Both if necessary (as I suspect they are)

Also throw some Hydroxyzine Pamoate in there. Helps get it moving.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post