Atheist-turned-Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2011, 06:59 PM
RE: Atheist-turned-Christians
(22-08-2011 09:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I like Joe Bloe's answer. [...]

Also worth noting is to be careful to say that people were never "true atheists" because that sounds a lot like "you were never a true Christian."

I like his answer too. I really don't think saying someone isn't a "true atheist" is a "true Scotsman" argument. If they weren't really an atheist to begin with, the point is still valid.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2011, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2011 07:39 PM by advancedatheist.)
(20-06-2011 06:50 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I think it feels so damn good to pray and 'connect' when scared, in fear or guilty- or whatever negative emotion these people are feeling, that the neuronal path is so beat down to sooth it that they decide to entertain this soothing feeling again.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist environment, and "prayer" always gave me the creeps. It looks like something you'd see patient in a psychiatric facility do, especially when they need another dose of meds to suppress disturbed ideation.

(20-06-2011 11:24 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(20-06-2011 07:06 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Now that I think about it, being a preacher is basically like being homeless. You hold out your "offering" plate/hat/guitar case and entertain people and try to make them feel good enough to willingly give you money.

I just told that to my girlfriend, she fell on her ass laughing.

That also shows the bind preachers find themselves in when they "lose their faith" and want to leave the ministry. In terms of secular employability, they've regressed to the stage of teenagers and they will have to seek jobs like sacking groceries for minimum wage.
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Here is an article by a former atheist who came to believe in God because his scientific studies convinced him that evolution couldn't be true.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...igned-kill

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
23-08-2011, 10:11 AM
(23-08-2011 09:36 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Here is an article by a former atheist who came to believe in God because his scientific studies convinced him that evolution couldn't be true.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...igned-kill
This guy is lying like a rug. What herpitologist would assert that there are only two kinds of snake? What biologist would not know that "perfectly designed" is true of every creature that has survived, and means simply: this configuration has survived [while other, less suited to environmental conditions, configurations died out]. What scientist would classify the world as pre- and post- Fall instead of geological eras?

But then, disingenuity is hardly foreign to the born-again. (see Charles Colson)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
23-08-2011, 02:26 PM
(21-06-2011 09:56 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(20-06-2011 04:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I’ve been interested in the subject of Atheists who return to Christianity. I just don’t see how it’s possible for someone to be skeptical or even critical of a religion only to embrace it.
Perhaps you would understand this better if you would read Surprised by Joy by C. S. Lewis. It is a spiritual autobiography in which he describes how he went from believing in God to atheism, and then discovered that atheism led to logical inconsistencies and became a Christian.

Yes C. S. Lewis is just about the only Christian intellectual I can respect right now - though that may reflect how few I have read. In Mere Christianity he expresses a strong secularism, stating that Christians or any other religion have no right to dictate the laws of their country. He does not in any way claim that Morality comes from religion - rather the reverse as his flawed argument for the existence of God depends on the universal acceptance of basic morality. He acknowledges that people labelled Christian are often phoney or that the behaviour of your average Christian might be worse than that of the average atheist intellectual and so on. He seems to genuinely respect other people in a way quite distinct from how I am remember dividing people into "saved" and "unsaved".

I seem to recall Christopher Hitchens called him tedious. I like Hitchens but he does seem to overstep the mark sometimes.
23-08-2011, 06:14 PM
(23-08-2011 10:11 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  This guy is lying like a rug. What herpitologist would assert that there are only two kinds of snake? What biologist would not know that "perfectly designed" is true of every creature that has survived, and means simply: this configuration has survived [while other, less suited to environmental conditions, configurations died out]. What scientist would classify the world as pre- and post- Fall instead of geological eras?

But then, disingenuity is hardly foreign to the born-again. (see Charles Colson)

I took a senior level Herpetology class in college (as a freshman) and had to memorize the Family, Common, and Scientific names of 88 different species of snakes, lizards, frogs, toads, turtles and Salamanders local to just southwestern Ohio. That guy is deluded if he truly believes the stuff he is spewing.
23-08-2011, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2011 08:08 PM by nontheocrat.)
When we talk about turning from atheist to believer we must realize that the common definition of "atheist" is one lacking belief that a god exists. By that definition a person who has no prior exposure to religion IS an atheist (and probably ripe for religious conversion). The same could be said of people who never took religion or reason serious before, they may be vaguely familiar to the words but never learned enough to make a decision. Technically these people would also fit the vague definition of atheist and would also be candidates for conversion.

Perhaps there should be a different word for the one of us who have walked away from religion because of a thoughtful long studied decision. It is much less likely for such a person to be converted. I imagine myself to be entirely out-of-reach for any would-be evangelist. I consider myself open for any evidence, but I will NOT be convinced by anything less than real evidence.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
[+] 3 users Like nontheocrat's post
24-08-2011, 01:17 AM
(20-06-2011 05:46 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  There's a lot of youtube videos from "ex-atheists" that set off a bunch of red flags about these people's original atheist stance.

They says things like "I started to lose my faith in atheism" or "I couldn't understand why I was so angry at Jesus." All of these are theist assumptions that atheists laugh at. No atheist has "faith" in his lack of belief. And if you have accepted that Jesus is a deity for you to be mad at him... you aren't atheist, are you? Even people who use the term "ex-atheist" makes me raise an eyebrow. How can you label yourself and ex-nonbeliever? Wouldn't that just make you a believer? I don't go around saying I was ex-nonsmoker. I would just be a smoker. Their bad terminology hints that they held atheism to be a belief structure, or some ideology that can be "turned away from."

It's kind of like saying.

"I knew there wasn't a piano in my living room, but I didn't know how I could deny it, because everytime I left the room I just knew there was a piano in there!"
[+] 1 user Likes BGrambo's post
28-08-2011, 01:46 PM
(20-06-2011 04:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I’ve been interested in the subject of Atheists who return to Christianity.

I am unclear if original wikipedia discussion related to this article.

I am rocked and shocked to find that Alice Cooper converted to Christianity.

I am sad that the discussion left Antony Flew's conversion unchallenged.
28-08-2011, 02:14 PM
(20-06-2011 08:55 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Remember that not all atheists are very dedicated to it. Plenty just plain don't care about religion. When it becomes important enough to them they just convert because it matters now.

Yes, but "not caring about religion" and being an atheist are not the same thing. Just because you don't care doesn't mean you don't believe on some level there is a god. My guess, and this is only a guess, is many of these "converts" were more in the camp of just not caring about religion as opposed to not believing in god.

BC - if you're going to go the TE route, don't forget the hair. The hair is very important.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost