Atheist using rituals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Atheist using rituals
So I searched on this forum and couldn't find this topic. Do you guys use nonspiritual rituals in your lives or do you view them as "silly"? One of the main ones I do is carry these crystals around with me when I'm heading out to a club or out meeting guys. I know there is no magical power in them or whatever, but I pretend they help and what it actually does for me is give me confidence in myself so I am a bit more outgoing and raises my self esteem. I've heard an atheist podcast about a guy jumping out of a plane as a ritual to change his current state of mind. So what do you do and for what purpose?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 10:21 PM
RE: Atheist using rituals
I've dumped all superstitions from my life. I went as far as crossing my windshield when a black cat crossed my path. The ole penny on heads superstition is even gone. I have found a stronger confidence within myself that I never knew I had after dumping those things. I don't even do the luck thing anymore.

It's been tough weeding out the strange things I've believed but as each day passes it slowly becomes easier Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't really think its that superstition. Utalizing rituals to change thinking is beneficial I think. I can see how the penny on heads thing could be superstitious. Idk maybe it is. I have a wiccan friend who writes down her troubles and burns the paper to symbolize getting rid of those troubles. I think you could do that without believing it actually eliminated your troubles in that instance. Just going through the motions changes you're mode of thinking towards your problems.
[+] 1 user Likes Mobeus's post
07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't have any rituals or superstitions as I know there is nothing behind any of them. Meaning I have no fear of hats on beds, black cats crossing my path, no crystal/mythical healing things. I won't walk under a ladder--but that's for safety reasons. I don't have any "lucky" anything. I don't have any special clothes I wear for any purpose (well, I wear dark colors when seeing a stage play, but that's to prevent light from reflecting as much). Nor do I carry anything on me every day, except for a emergency window breaking device on my house key's keychain, but that's just because it's on the keychain and I need the keys to unlock my house.

Granted with the OCD thing in me, there are things I do (or really have to do) such as checking a door to make sure it's locked, and buying things in certain multiples (even so, I can buy any quantity--there's just a reason for it), and performing my work in specific ways. But this is something I can't stop (it's automatic--it's been something I've done for over 30 years [I'm 35]), so even if I "don't do it" I still do it without knowing. So I don't count any of those as it's not a conscious thing.

Although I may technically have something I do: I say goodbye to my animals and people whenever I leave the property they are on. But this is from the past where I may have not said goodbye and had someone die (or even have an animal die)--and I try to make sure that my last interaction with people/animals is positive*. I don't think they will die if I don't say something though, and I normally try to have all conversations/etc be the same way as well.

* my great-grandmother had Alzheimer's--my last interaction with her wasn't... pleasant as I had the thought of "why don't you just die" [she was suffering in many ways] and my interaction was rude and something I try to make sure isn't my last interaction with anyone now.
08-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Using rituals will get you stripped of your atheism. This is your final warning.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Is the use of rituals automatically a sign of some degree of obsessive-compulsive disorder?

Seriously, I'm done with all rituals too .. knock on wood.

[Image: rSJ3y4]
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
08-04-2012, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 07:20 AM by le_procyon.)
I always say goodnight to my teddybears when I go to sleep Big Grin

But really. Every single night.

edit: Plus a slight case of OCD but that mostly consists of washing hands quite often (which is good for the health so I'm not even trying to change it), checking doors a few times before leaving the apartment and stuff like that. Also, always taking 7.14 sips when drinking water (.14 is a small, small sip. It started as a joke and now I like it), always washing my face 3 times in the morning (I like number 3 heh), stuff like that.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
08-04-2012, 08:04 AM
I eat breakfast every morning, and when I'm ready to face the day I head out to work.
08-04-2012, 10:17 AM
(08-04-2012 08:04 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I eat breakfast every morning, and when I'm ready to face the day I head out to work.

I've heard all I need to hear out of you, atheist. You are now an atheist.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
08-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I wrote something about rituals here

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.