Atheist using rituals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: Atheist using rituals
I am an Atheistic Pagan and I engage in the use of rituals for a number of reasons. there is scientific evidence that visualization is an effective way to prepare for situations such as job interviews and other performance activities. I am a Mental Health Therapist and have successfully used ritual to help my clients focus on a problem or overcome barriers. we have the power to think abstractly and symbolically and this can sometimes be powerfully effective tool.

while I do not believe in any deities or "the elements" as typically framed in Pagan "worship" I do attend drumming circles and fire circles in order to experience community and sometimes to put myself into an altered state of consciousness. I completely understand what is going on psychologically and neurologically when I engage in these activities. this does not reduce the experience for me. our brains can do amazing things so why cut them off simply because some people connect these to a "supernatural power". I accept that everything that happens does so in explainable natural ways - I just take advantage of what is available to me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindReader's post
08-04-2012, 02:14 PM
(08-04-2012 01:59 PM)WindReader Wrote:  I am an Atheistic Pagan...

No yer not. Tongue

There ain't no me without my Gwynnies, so of course I'm gonna give people shit about idolatry. I'm an insider. Wink

And no n00bs without an introduction. Which means welcome.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
(07-04-2012 10:14 PM)Mobeus Wrote:  So I searched on this forum and couldn't find this topic. Do you guys use nonspiritual rituals in your lives or do you view them as "silly"? One of the main ones I do is carry these crystals around with me when I'm heading out to a club or out meeting guys. I know there is no magical power in them or whatever, but I pretend they help and what it actually does for me is give me confidence in myself so I am a bit more outgoing and raises my self esteem. I've heard an atheist podcast about a guy jumping out of a plane as a ritual to change his current state of mind. So what do you do and for what purpose?
I typically carry a condom for good luck. It doesn't seem to bring me luck, but then again I may need it if I do get lucky.
Cause or placebo effect? A false sense of security is better than no security. False hope is better than no hope.
Oh shit. I sound like a Christian. No Say it ain't so man.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
09-04-2012, 01:53 AM
(08-04-2012 09:54 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I typically carry a condom for good luck. It doesn't seem to bring me luck, but then again I may need it if I do get lucky.
Bwhahahaha
omg
I lol'd so hard!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
10-04-2012, 05:05 PM
besides - as Atheists don't we celebrate birthdays and bury our dead (in some fashion - burial or cremation)? these are rituals. a funeral or memorial service can be moving without any religious involvement.
[+] 1 user Likes WindReader's post
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
(08-04-2012 01:59 PM)WindReader Wrote:  ... while I do not believe in any deities or "the elements" as typically framed in Pagan "worship" I do attend drumming circles and fire circles in order to experience community and sometimes to put myself into an altered state of consciousness.

There are more efficient and effective means of opening the doors of perception ... just sayin'. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2012 06:22 PM by JackDaniels.)
The only rituals I do is I have a religious ocd and it's really frustrating because I don't believe in god but I get negative thoughts about satan and hell so I do compulsions. It's going away but it's frustrating as hell!!!!
(08-04-2012 12:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Using rituals will get you stripped of your atheism. This is your final warning.

Can you explain more about this, I think it's interesting.
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
(10-04-2012 06:21 PM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Can you explain more about this, I think it's interesting.

That's just me being silly. A lot of atheists don't go for any kind of fluffy stuff, and I ain't a weak atheist; but there's "my Gwynnies," which is absurd idolatry. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
(10-04-2012 07:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-04-2012 06:21 PM)JackDaniels Wrote:  Can you explain more about this, I think it's interesting.

That's just me being silly. A lot of atheists don't go for any kind of fluffy stuff, and I ain't a weak atheist; but there's "my Gwynnies," which is absurd idolatry. Wink
oh haha I took you to serious, my bad.
11-04-2012, 05:06 PM
(08-04-2012 01:59 PM)WindReader Wrote:  I am an Atheistic Pagan

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.