Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBAs2x4G-s
Thoughts? Who made the better arguments?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 01:35 PM
RE: Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness
My daughter is transgender. It's not a mental illness.

http://aebrain.blogspot.com.au/p/transse...ntity.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-02-2016, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't mind having this convo with you and others but I would appreciate it if you would invest in the thread more than just posting a link and asking for "thoughts".

What are your views? Do you have any personal experience to bring to the discussion? Are you even still around?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
22-02-2016, 03:59 PM
I didn't click on the link but I can tell you from my experience with my cousin it is not a mental disorder.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
22-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I quit the video after about 20 seconds because the arguments are douchbaggy and rude.

My personal thought is that it's clear that transgender persons have very powerful feelings about being the wrong gender, enough to undergo the disapproval of a society that doesn't yet accept them even to the extent gays were accepted before the SSM ruling -- and to put up with difficult, expensive, and not entirely satisfactory surgical procedures.. Despite that I don't judge them or have any reason to oppose them, I am not entirely sure they are not victims of some kind of body image dysmorphia that we just don't know how to treat effectively. I suspect most of them would love it if we could tweak a gene or gene expression somewhere and flip them to where they're comfortable in their own bodies. I would like to see society pursue that but suspect it won't because of misguided charges that this would be an inherently transphobic course.
22-02-2016, 05:49 PM
I didn't watch the video, but no, I don't believe being transgendered is a mental illness. Believing in an imaginary sky genie who controls your fate and grants wishes is the mental illness.
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
22-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Gender dysphoria, which is a required condition for the state of being transgender, is a psychiatric diagnosis. Gender dysphoria is a medical disorder according to both the DSM-5 and the IDC-10 CM.

It's not like being transgender is different depending on how one classifies the condition, though. And mental illness is not a dirty word. Doesn't really matter whether it's a mental illness or not, then.
[+] 5 users Like Gilgamesh's post
22-02-2016, 09:48 PM
(22-02-2016 09:09 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Gender dysphoria, which is a required condition for the state of being transgender, is a psychiatric diagnosis. Gender dysphoria is a medical disorder according to both the DSM-5 and the IDC-10 CM.

It's not like being transgender is different depending on how one classifies the condition, though. And mental illness is not a dirty word. Doesn't really matter whether it's a mental illness or not, then.
Yeah, mental illness shouldn't be stigmatized in any event. And just like there's a difference in physical illnesses -- between, say, bone cancer and a stubbed toe -- "mental illness" doesn't mean you've got a slobbering psychosis and need a straightjacket.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
22-02-2016, 10:11 PM
(22-02-2016 09:09 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Gender dysphoria, which is a required condition for the state of being transgender, is a psychiatric diagnosis. Gender dysphoria is a medical disorder according to both the DSM-5 and the IDC-10 CM.

I think it needs to be in DSM-5 or IDC-10 CM or insurance won't cover.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-02-2016, 10:45 PM
From conversations I had with my daughter about her gender dysphoria the trauma of having a female brain in a male body is comparable to an atheist being forced to become a theist. It twisted her up inside and she couldn't function normally. Now, after coming out and transitioning, she's fine , but for a time she was a mess.

Interestingly enough, she has very feminine hands. Her digit ratio is very much on the female side, more so than my own hands. This may indicate she was exposed to more estrogen in the womb than testosterone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

http://www.livescience.com/49883-finger-...n-men.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post