Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 07:40 AM
RE: Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness
(21-02-2016 10:31 PM)bussta33 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBAs2x4G-s
Thoughts? Who made the better arguments?

I'd wonder where that line between normalcy and mental illness begins in the identity question. Would we say the lady whose white but identifies as black has a mental illness? How about the transgender adult male who identifies as a six year old girl, is that a mental illness?

Or the girl who identifies as a cat, is that a mental illness?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
06-03-2016, 09:07 AM
(05-03-2016 06:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 05:55 PM)Llamaswithkatanas Wrote:  I'm transgender, and, the way I see it is, I'm dysphoric. I feel sick and trapped inside this female body. It's not going to make me go on a psycho killing spree or start sacrificing small animals... But it does give me anxiety and depression (for example, how could any guy like being at work and being called "baby, sweet thing, little lady, etc." by old, disgusting-smelling truck drivers? It's not fun.). There's nothing wrong with me, other than I am viewed as someone I am not constantly and it kills me inside.

Do you plan to have the operation?

At least top surgery... I don't trust bottom surgery yet. The science just isn't there lol but I'm trying to get on hormones now, I have to talk to my doctor and then get a letter from my therapist.
[+] 2 users Like Llamaswithkatanas's post
06-03-2016, 09:08 AM
(05-03-2016 08:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 05:55 PM)Llamaswithkatanas Wrote:  I'm transgender, and, the way I see it is, I'm dysphoric. I feel sick and trapped inside this female body. It's not going to make me go on a psycho killing spree or start sacrificing small animals... But it does give me anxiety and depression (for example, how could any guy like being at work and being called "baby, sweet thing, little lady, etc." by old, disgusting-smelling truck drivers? It's not fun.). There's nothing wrong with me, other than I am viewed as someone I am not constantly and it kills me inside.

How old are you?

21, 22 in August
06-03-2016, 09:12 AM
(06-03-2016 01:00 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 05:55 PM)Llamaswithkatanas Wrote:  But it does give me anxiety and depression (for example, how could any guy like being at work and being called "baby, sweet thing, little lady, etc." by old, disgusting-smelling truck drivers? It's not fun.).
Do non-transgender ladies enjoy workmates calling them "baby, sweet thing, little lady, etc." or would it be somewhat "normal" to not like being treated that way?

I'd never speak like that to a female at work. Always keep it professional at work. Not a place for that.

This is pretty much why there aren't any female security guards at my work. It's not right, whether someone is transgender or not. I just happen to have a hard time with stuff like this, is all. Usually if a driver is being sexist or racist, I have him kicked off the property because I don't like people like that.
07-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Not going to watch the video.

The term 'mental illness' is quite ambiguous. And the question is as well. Is the OP referring to before or after transitioning? The very term illness suggests something that causes distress or discomfort and therefore can theoretically be corrected even if the technology is not available. Otherwise you start passing judgement on different character traits.

After transitioning, transgendered people can function like any other person and can be perfectly happy. They have been cured in the only way that is known to be effective. Is it then right to them call them mentally ill? Would you call a woman who had a hysterectomy mentally ill? What's the difference in mental state between a woman with a hysterectomy and a post-op transwoman?

I'm not going to express an opinion, just wanting to point out that the OP is loaded with equivocation that would need to be nailed down before a discussion could even start. I suspect the author of the video is not looking for a discussion though.
07-03-2016, 08:41 AM
(05-03-2016 05:55 PM)Llamaswithkatanas Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with me, other than I am viewed as someone I am not constantly and it kills me inside.

(06-03-2016 01:00 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Do non-transgender ladies enjoy workmates calling them "baby, sweet thing, little lady, etc." or would it be somewhat "normal" to not like being treated that way?

This is why all prejudice hurts the recipient. They are not treated as the person that they actually are but as something that they are perceived to be.

It's like someone saying that all men are potential rapists. They're not and it prejudges honest, good men regardless of their thoughts or actions.

For transgendered people it's particularly bad because the cause is their own physical body, and then when they try to correct it, they're subject to bigotry from others.
07-03-2016, 09:49 AM
(06-03-2016 07:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 10:31 PM)bussta33 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBAs2x4G-s
Thoughts? Who made the better arguments?

I'd wonder where that line between normalcy and mental illness begins in the identity question. Would we say the lady whose white but identifies as black has a mental illness? How about the transgender adult male who identifies as a six year old girl, is that a mental illness?

The brain of a transgender person is that of the other gender. There are many physical aspects that denote one's gender and one of them is in the brain During development in the womb many aspects of the brain are influenced by how much testosterone and estrogen the fetus is exposed to. Most scientific evidence points to specific areas of the brain being opposite of the bodies gender. It's actually easier to physically change the body than the brain.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
07-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Heres how I see it.

Whether its a mental illness or not does not dictate how someone should be treated. People are people ffs.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
08-03-2016, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 08:35 PM by SitaSky.)
I don't think being trans is a mental illness if someone is willing to go to such great lengths to change their body. Every trans person has to be evaluated by a psychiatrist before they can physically transition so pretty sure that's the point we can rule out any emotional disturbances. If someone was considering suicide because they couldn't live in their own body I would think yes they have a mental disorder, severe depression but once they can get on meds and/or go through therapy and then still want to transition, it should be fine. As long as they have the all clear from trained professionals.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
08-03-2016, 08:30 PM
(07-03-2016 09:49 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 07:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'd wonder where that line between normalcy and mental illness begins in the identity question. Would we say the lady whose white but identifies as black has a mental illness? How about the transgender adult male who identifies as a six year old girl, is that a mental illness?

The brain of a transgender person is that of the other gender. There are many physical aspects that denote one's gender and one of them is in the brain During development in the womb many aspects of the brain are influenced by how much testosterone and estrogen the fetus is exposed to. Most scientific evidence points to specific areas of the brain being opposite of the bodies gender. It's actually easier to physically change the body than the brain.

I remember seeing the brain scans of trans people on a news show, I think it was 20/20 a few years ago and it was really fascinating. I honestly felt so bad for them to feel so trapped in their own bodies but many of them seem very comfortable and confident in their gender identity. I think it was a big relief for them to know there's as physical reason for it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post