Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 10:33 AM
RE: Atheist vs. Christian: Transgenders have a mental illness
(10-03-2016 09:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Imagine a person who doesn't show the expected brain scans of a trans-person, yet they identify as trans, would we say this person is mentally ill, like you would the white woman who identifies as black, or the man who identifies as a six year old girl?

Would it be useful to define them as mentally ill? Can they be cured? Is there a better term that we can use? I don't know.

I’m not thinking in terms of usefulness, or cures here, or even how we should behave or treat transexuals, or even a white woman who identifies as a black, or a man who identifies as a six year old girls. I’m just concerned with what’s true here, when it comes to the question of identify.

Quote:
(10-03-2016 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What part of the "female" identity is biological, and what parts are culturally formed? What parts of the female identify are "biologically" based, particularly when we're not speaking of body parts, or even attraction to a particular sex?

Does it matter?

If you claim that biological factors, that can be traced to conception in the womb, affect our identify, than yes the question of what aspects of our identify are affected by these factors is entirely relevant.

The distinction between aspects of our identify in which we can draw the line between nature and nurture are relevant. It’s relevant to the degree that these factors effect our personality, if those differences can be associated with gender identify or not.

If we take Caitlyn Jenner here as an example, for whom the question of sexual attraction is ruled out, what aspects of identify as a female is biological? If someone were to suggest that her attraction to wearing dresses, or makeup, growing her hair long is biologically driven, that’s peddling woo. Because these aspects are primarily driven by environmental influences, designating how woman are to look, and dress, in a particular culture, time, and place.

So what aspects of her Identity can we say are driven by biology here, as opposed to cultural factors?

Of course you don’t have an answer to that question. But the question in terms of truth, is entirely relevant one. It can mean the difference between peddling in depth scientific observations, and pseudoscience, between overreaching, and offering far more temperate conclusions.

Quote:This also explains why the only effective cure is to allow the transperson to live the life that resolves this conflict. And the longer they live full time in their chosen gender, being treated as the gender that they believe themselves to be, this helps the brain to reshape as it should do.

And that can be said of anyones particular sense of identify, whether it be transgender, a white woman who identifies as black, a man who identifies as a twelve year old girl, etc… that some safe space should be provided to them, to explore and carve out their own identities in the world. That we should avoid creating any tension here, because clearly if there’s one thing that provokes people, is to have their identities questioned, or under scrutiny. And even more so to groups who identities often stoke a variety of prejudices and violence in others

But as stated previously the question of how we should treat such individuals, what sort of conduct is appropriate, whether we should create safe spaces, etc….isn’t really my question. My question is just a matter of what’s true here.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 10:43 AM
(10-03-2016 09:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  @Tomasio

Here's a question for you. Take someone who functions perfectly normal as a human being, who everyone else sees as yet another normal human being, and who is not in distress or discomfort. Is it useful to call them mentally ill?

I don't think it's generally useful to call anyone mentally ill, even when they are certifiablly mentally ill. Someone in the midst of psychosis is likely not going to take too well to someone referring to them as being mentally ill.

And note that I never claimed that transgenderism, or even individuals I highlighted, like the woman who identifies as a cat, or the white woman who identifies as black are mentally ill. I asked that question to others, and for those who define the latter group as mentally ill, but not the former, than i ask what the distinguishing elements are here.

I personally lean more to the agnostic spectrum on the question. I have more questions than answers.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
10-03-2016, 10:49 AM
The way I see it, the whole human race has a mental illness. Being transgender therefore does not make one unique in that regards. We all have different ways of expressing the illness we share Tongue

'Murican Canadian