Atheist vs. Christian ''fund raiser''

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 10:38 PM
RE: Atheist vs. Christian ''fund raiser''
The video proves nothing and is completely unscientific. I'm 100% atheist, but this video means zero and likely was completely edited on a slant. How do we know there weren't atheists walking past them and having the same reaction when the sign said Christian? How do we know atheists were the only donators when the sign said atheists? It's just a huge waste of time and energy. I appreciate all she does, but this was low hanging fruit that didn't need to be plucked.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 12:12 AM
(17-09-2014 06:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How much of a cunt do you have to be to not donate to a children's hospital simple based on the organization doing the fundraising?

Not so fast, Muffs. What if you'd seen this group except their sign said "Southern United Ku Klux Klan"? Or "North American Neo-Nazis"?

Wouldn't you have questioned their motives just as the woman questioned (and with sound reason) the "atheists" motives?

To many people (or to TOO many people) atheist is a "brand" identical to Nazism or any other "ism" of supposed vileness. But we high'n'mighty atheists are guilty of the same sanctimony when we look down on people for being sanctimonious. It's the same blanket.

Had their sign said "West Hemisphere ISIS" or "North Central Al Qaeda" they'd've had to finish their video from inside a jail cell.

Context DOES matter, justifiably or not.
Find all posts by this user
19-09-2014, 12:33 AM
(18-09-2014 07:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 06:42 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I enjoyed the video - I'd be interested to see what would happen if this experiment had been held in Alabama though...

I think they still lynch atheists there.

Drinking Beverage

They're constitutionally barred from witnessing.

((Yes, yes, I know, not being serious here.))

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
19-09-2014, 06:57 AM
(18-09-2014 10:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The video proves nothing and is completely unscientific. I'm 100% atheist, but this video means zero and likely was completely edited on a slant. How do we know there weren't atheists walking past them and having the same reaction when the sign said Christian? How do we know atheists were the only donators when the sign said atheists? It's just a huge waste of time and energy. I appreciate all she does, but this was low hanging fruit that didn't need to be plucked.

Apparently you don't really appreciate what she does as you call into question her honesty.

Your objections are, quite frankly, over the top.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-09-2014, 07:12 AM
Atheist vs. Christian ''fund raiser''
So many non believers donate to Christians orgs. Me being one but I stopped because of ish like this ... You don't need my old rags or money

Using Tapatalk
19-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Jesus loves you and needs your money!

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
19-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Of course I appreciate her efforts, but this video proves nothing. The minute Ray Comfort comes out with a video we want to see the raw footage because we know he's manipulating it, but this video is taken completely on its merits? I'm not saying she is being dishonest, I'm saying a Christian could look at it and give all of my reasons for saying it proves nothing. Unless it's one long uninterrupted camera angle, like an unedited live feed that we can all watch, how could anyone possibly think this video proves anything?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
19-09-2014, 07:19 AM
(19-09-2014 07:15 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Of course I appreciate her efforts, but this video proves nothing. The minute Ray Comfort comes out with a video we want to see the raw footage because we know he's manipulating it, but this video is taken completely on its merits? I'm not saying she is being dishonest, I'm saying a Christian could look at it and give all of my reasons for saying it proves nothing. Unless it's one long uninterrupted camera angle, like an unedited live feed that we can all watch, how could anyone possibly think this video proves anything?

Like any experiment, others can go try to replicate the results.
If someone doubts it, they can try it for themselves.

Besides, it is not a formal, rigorous, controlled study; it is not presented as 'proof'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-09-2014, 07:22 AM
If anything it's presented as more of a spoof...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
19-09-2014, 07:33 AM
(19-09-2014 07:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Besides, it is not a formal, rigorous, controlled study; it is not presented as 'proof'.

Thank you, that's exactly my point. I think she's great and I enjoy her viewpoints and funny videos, but this effort just didn't mean anything, so why do it? If you can poke holes in its legitimacy then it can't be held up as legitimate. I don't doubt for a second they were honest in their findings, because I have listened to her enough to know her integrity, but the video shouldn't be getting the support it has on the atheism Facebook pages. To me, the reaction it's getting is no different than when Christians lap up a Ray Comfort video, preaching to the choir. We are all supposed to be for scrutiny because we are all for science, yes?

----