Atheist with a Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Atheist with a Question
So Phu Cat thinks they can stump us here with their inane questions that are so cliche, we got the watered down Pascal's Wager and something about sex and evolution and recently, what if science proves God? Oh you mean that entire field of study you ignore because it keeps proving the Bible wrong? Rolleyes

My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you? Maybe when you first became atheist or even recently.

For me it doesn't happen too often, usually when they get distracted by world history and start getting science wrong, I just tell them they are wrong but I don't have every bit of that info memorized so unless I'm online and do a quick Google search I have to change the subject.

Other than that when I was younger it really baffled me when they would ask "Well I like to believe my dead friends and family members are in Heaven and I will see them again, what's so wrong with that?" Well nothing, just believe it but why do you also have to believe in Hell and a bunch of dumb creationist bullshit at the same time? It used to make me feel bad especially when my mom said it, so I'd just sit there and say "Well maybe there is a happy afterlife for us."

Now I just say "Well, there's no proof of Heaven, or God, or angels so your dead loved ones are just dead so you should probably treat them better and spend more time with them now because this may just be it." I'm sure there's a better answer but I just hate to destroy that fantasy, death is just tough.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
15-06-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: Atheist with a Question
Most all theists stump me when they say out loud, what they really believe.
I am literally dumbfounded.

There are processes going on inside their brain that stump me.
It's like watching a river flow up a mountain.
I'm simply speechless, because I don't know how that is happening.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
15-06-2016, 06:56 PM
(15-06-2016 06:33 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Most all theists stump me when they say out loud, what they really believe.
I am literally dumbfounded.

There are processes going on inside their brain that stump me.
It's like watching a river flow up a mountain.
I'm simply speechless, because I don't know how that is happening.

I agree, it's very difficult to continue a reasonable debate when someone starts spewing out nonsense about the rapture, miracles, prayers being answered and talking to God everyday. I mean it's tough to just say they are wrong or perhaps mentally imbalanced.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
15-06-2016, 07:08 PM
(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you?

Not even remotely. Even when I started my transition to atheism, in fact it was how blooooody stupid so many of their questions were that drove me away.

I enjoy this site and I love the vast vast majority of the people here but not once have I ever had a question from a theist that I'd even describe as vaguely problematic.

In fact as I get older I find it more and more perplexing how even theists themselves can't tell how obviously stupid their stance is. Every conversation with a fundamentalist feels more and more like I'm trying to explain colours and shapes to children. #jadedoldman

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
15-06-2016, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 07:15 PM by skyking.)
Must be sometimers coupled with alcohol fog setting in old man Drinking Beverage

<you do know I am poking fun, right? >

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-06-2016, 07:13 PM
(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  So Phu Cat thinks they can stump us here with their inane questions that are so cliche, we got the watered down Pascal's Wager and something about sex and evolution and recently, what if science proves God? Oh you mean that entire field of study you ignore because it keeps proving the Bible wrong? Rolleyes

My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you? Maybe when you first became atheist or even recently.

For me it doesn't happen too often, usually when they get distracted by world history and start getting science wrong, I just tell them they are wrong but I don't have every bit of that info memorized so unless I'm online and do a quick Google search I have to change the subject.

Other than that when I was younger it really baffled me when they would ask "Well I like to believe my dead friends and family members are in Heaven and I will see them again, what's so wrong with that?" Well nothing, just believe it but why do you also have to believe in Hell and a bunch of dumb creationist bullshit at the same time? It used to make me feel bad especially when my mom said it, so I'd just sit there and say "Well maybe there is a happy afterlife for us."

Now I just say "Well, there's no proof of Heaven, or God, or angels so your dead loved ones are just dead so you should probably treat them better and spend more time with them now because this may just be it." I'm sure there's a better answer but I just hate to destroy that fantasy, death is just tough.

Yes there used to be a lot of questions that stumped me but not any more.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
15-06-2016, 07:16 PM
(15-06-2016 06:56 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I agree, it's very difficult to continue a reasonable debate when someone starts spewing out nonsense about the rapture, miracles, prayers being answered and talking to God everyday. I mean it's tough to just say they are wrong or perhaps mentally imbalanced.

No. Simply uninformed and uninterested in being educated. Faith is comfort. It's an uneasy comfort, but it provides answers to questions that they'd rather not ask, because apologetics is a true mindfuck once you commit yourself to it.

Apologetics is the questioning theist's faith.

You've heard the phrase "it takes more faith to be an atheist"...

No it doesn't, it takes more faith plus an attitude of unbending cognitive will to actually take on the big questions and still hold on to christianity as a solid truth about reality regarding the weak sauce that is apologetics.

All of those uninterested in apologetics who maintain that their fundamental faith is correct and won't consider any alternatives are just afraid to live in a world that is as close to the abyss that it really is, and choose magic over reality.

I can't say that I blame them all that much, but I'm not sure that I'm all there in the first place anyway.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
15-06-2016, 07:17 PM
I avoid talking about it honestly, but thanks to the many brilliant posters here I probably won't the next time it arises.
My current aversion is political in nature. I have despised Trump since forever, so I cannot engage anyone seriously now that he is the subject.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
15-06-2016, 07:17 PM
(15-06-2016 07:10 PM)skyking Wrote:  Must be sometimers coupled with alcohol fog setting in old man Drinking Beverage

<you do know I am poking fun, right? >

Big Grin

I did.......but then I forgot!
[Image: torches-pitchforks.gif]

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
15-06-2016, 07:21 PM
anything but the unicorn with a knife. I have nitemares <whinny whinny>
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post