Atheist with a Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 07:28 PM
RE: Atheist with a Question
(15-06-2016 07:21 PM)skyking Wrote:  anything but the unicorn with a knife. I have nitemares <whinny whinny>
[Image: killer_unicorn_bunny_by_sebreg-d399amu.jpg]

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
15-06-2016, 07:34 PM
(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you?

Many, many times. But it was always about math and algorithmic complexity which had nothing to with their theism.

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-06-2016, 07:57 PM
(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  So Phu Cat thinks they can stump us here with their inane questions that are so cliche, we got the watered down Pascal's Wager and something about sex and evolution and recently, what if science proves God? Oh you mean that entire field of study you ignore because it keeps proving the Bible wrong? Rolleyes

My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you? Maybe when you first became atheist or even recently.

For me it doesn't happen too often, usually when they get distracted by world history and start getting science wrong, I just tell them they are wrong but I don't have every bit of that info memorized so unless I'm online and do a quick Google search I have to change the subject.

Other than that when I was younger it really baffled me when they would ask "Well I like to believe my dead friends and family members are in Heaven and I will see them again, what's so wrong with that?" Well nothing, just believe it but why do you also have to believe in Hell and a bunch of dumb creationist bullshit at the same time? It used to make me feel bad especially when my mom said it, so I'd just sit there and say "Well maybe there is a happy afterlife for us."

Now I just say "Well, there's no proof of Heaven, or God, or angels so your dead loved ones are just dead so you should probably treat them better and spend more time with them now because this may just be it." I'm sure there's a better answer but I just hate to destroy that fantasy, death is just tough.

Trying to explain sentience gives me pause....the biological science of how human bodies work is well understood, but trying to understand how that flesh and blood bag of bones has/developed thought, memories, emotions, dreams and self awareness is a bit of a challenge for me. None of which needs a god of the gaps fallacy as an answer, but it is just beyond my current knowledge level.

The hardest debates I have ever had were with highly educated in science OEC theists who merge current scientific knowledge with faith. They dismiss the biblical fables just as quickly as we do and state they were just parables and analogies created to explain complex concepts to the uneducated and gullible. It is the MESSAGE that matters Rolleyes I still whipped their ass and can say even in my early debating days I only hit a stalemate three times. Neither one of us was willing to accept the evidence the other presented so further debate was futile.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
15-06-2016, 08:04 PM
GWG, they always win in the end, in their minds.
The deathbed conversion! Nobody expects the deathbed conversion!
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
15-06-2016, 08:11 PM
(15-06-2016 08:04 PM)skyking Wrote:  GWG, they always win in the end, in their minds.
The deathbed conversion! Nobody expects the deathbed conversion!

Has anyone ever been on their deathbed and renounced their religion? I'm sure it happens, it would be interesting to pose that to a Xian, so this guy was super religious, he was a pastor and as the light dimmed in his eyes he suddenly exclaimed "Wow evolution does make sense! The bible is a lie!" and then died right then. So you see, science is true because dying people believe it, right? That's all it takes? A dying mind is the only one we can trust.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
15-06-2016, 08:30 PM
just when my mom says she wants to see her dad again. i pretty much shut up at that point. who am i to try to take that hope away? to what end? of course that doesnt stop my sarcastic comments about religion. she has no interest in debating anymore tho, and neither do i. deep down i think she knows its bullshit, as she wont even try to answer my basic questions.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
15-06-2016, 08:35 PM
i have interesting conversations with my dad though. he gets irritated when i refer to myself as an atheist, since nobody can disprove a god. he refers to himself as an agnostic, even though we both lack belief in any gods. i tell him its just semantics.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
16-06-2016, 05:25 AM
(15-06-2016 08:30 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  just when my mom says she wants to see her dad again. i pretty much shut up at that point. who am i to try to take that hope away? to what end? of course that doesnt stop my sarcastic comments about religion. she has no interest in debating anymore tho, and neither do i. deep down i think she knows its bullshit, as she wont even try to answer my basic questions.

When my father died last year my stepmother was trying to console herself by saying " I know he is in heaven now just waiting for me"

I looked at my sister, and she looked at me, and we were both thinking the exact same thing, considering that our mother would have been "in heaven" for the last 25 years waiting for our father you are gonna have an awkward afterlife.

I know we were probably supposed to say something consoling back to her like yeah he is in a "better place" now or something , but all she got was silence.

That's all I can ever give someone that's ever grieving about losing someone... silence. I have nothing with which to make them feel better, I must seem very cold to them.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
16-06-2016, 05:32 AM
(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you? Maybe when you first became atheist or even recently.

I can't think of a question or position per se. Mostly though it's the refusal to accept evidence, or denial of science and/or evidence.

As an example: I'll point out the fact that the "woman-taken-in-adultery" story is apocryphal, and that it has been known to be so for at least 200 years. I get replies to the effect "well those weren't Christian scientists" or "they were biased" or "that doesn't prove anything".

That and the re-using of debunked arguments. That gets fairly annoying.

Thanks! Needed to vent! Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Well, I am quite unable to deal with any argument involving the ever-popular quantum mechanics.

First, I know next to nothing about the subject so, while I may suspect my correspondent knows little more or even less than I do, I'm unable to counter it.

Second, as soon as it's mentioned I know how the rest of the conversation is going to go.

It's at that point that I just turn and walk away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post