Atheist with a Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 05:48 AM by Banjo.)
RE: Atheist with a Question
Happily living in Australia I rarely come across people speaking about religion and most people I know are not religious.

I have never been stumped by a question from a theist. They are so simplistic it is hard to fathom they are serious.

As for death, it is with me each day. Recently I came close to death. Having no immune system renders one of the most important features we have useless. I can think about it and sometimes do.

I try not to dwell on it. I try to be positive. I have found most people with serious illness seem to be similar.

No one gets out of this alive.

I don't know if my answer is relevant. If not, my apologies.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
18-06-2016, 12:07 PM
(16-06-2016 05:45 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Why are you teaching us evolutionary lies in a Criminology class?"

Twice in my short career this shit has come up. Once as a complaint to my Chair. Both over the same class, and the same section of the class. Listen kids, I'm sorry that you and 40-some percent of Americans can't accept that evolution isn't make believe, but when the very first biological theories on criminality are a direct result of people reading Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", I kind of have to mention evolution. And it stumps me what to say for the most part, because "your faith is wrong" doesn't fly well professionally. Thus far my reply has been, "You're entitled to your opinion of evolution, however, since the biological theories were originally based in attempts to prove that criminals were atavistic throwbacks to a less evolved form of mankind, we kind of have to at least touch upon it." But a better answer seriously eludes me.

Speaking as someone who spent almost a decade wrongfully incarcerated, in part because of faulty science applied by a prosecutor and judge, I'd say you have a moral obligation to ensure that science is properly understood by students in a Criminology course.

Perhaps, if questioned again, you could reply, "Because I am a Christian and I believe I have a moral obligation to ensure that people do not bear false witness against their neighbors. Part of ensuring this happens is to apply the scientific method to our pursuit of justice, and that includes an understanding of the Theory of Evolution, including how it can be misapplied to ensure injustices occur."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-06-2016, 02:42 PM
I don't generally talk to people live about religion, I argue on YouTube comments sections with theists <pauses for obligatory snickering>.
In those I used to have problems, but mainly at this point the only questions that semi-stump me are the ones that are so ridiculous that I don't know how to respond to the sheer stupidity of it.
A recent example came close, in which someone suggested that the fact that "In God We Trust" is on the money somehow suggests god is real. Blink I handled it well enough, but for a bit my brain was on fire just trying to comprehend the stupidity of that.
[+] 2 users Like OddGamer's post
21-06-2016, 05:08 PM
(21-06-2016 02:42 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  I don't generally talk to people live about religion, I argue on YouTube comments sections with theists <pauses for obligatory snickering>.
In those I used to have problems, but mainly at this point the only questions that semi-stump me are the ones that are so ridiculous that I don't know how to respond to the sheer stupidity of it.
A recent example came close, in which someone suggested that the fact that "In God We Trust" is on the money somehow suggests god is real. Blink I handled it well enough, but for a bit my brain was on fire just trying to comprehend the stupidity of that.

Yeah that's pretty bad, don't feel embarrassed about debating on Youtube either, I do it all the time, I just can't help myself. Tongue

That reminds me of a real doozy that I've heard a few times "Well if God isn't real than why do you spend so much time trying to say he isn't, he must be real!" Like what? How does that make any sense? That's like saying since we go around saying Santa Claus isn't real, he must be real? Yeah, actually now that I think of it, that makes perfect sense. Laugh out load

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
21-06-2016, 05:12 PM
(18-06-2016 05:41 AM)Banjo Wrote:  No one gets out of this alive.

Five to one, Banjo, one in five.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-06-2016, 01:10 PM
(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  My question is simple, has a theist ever asked you a question that really stumped you? Maybe when you first became atheist or even recently.

I don't remember what it was called, but there was a video once I was told about which talked about multiple dimensions. Basically it was making an example about how "2D people" wouldn't even the concept of a 3D or even a 4D universe. So by the same token, we, living in such a higher universe, couldn't have the concept of a 5D, 6D or even 7D universe. It was something along those lines.

Well, certainly, that sounds pretty logical, except arguments like this can be just shot down saying "Yes, but what can you show to be true? Do you have the evidence to support this claim?". Even if this were true, there is no reason to think it is, so it's pointless, useless and a waste of time and mental resources. I mean, I can make anything up and then say "now what?". Who cares? We need to think about what we KNOW to be true. And by this I mean, what we can show the evidence for, not something that might be plausible or possible.

So I guess nothing has ever really stumped me, at least as far as I can remember.

(15-06-2016 06:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Other than that when I was younger it really baffled me when they would ask "Well I like to believe my dead friends and family members are in Heaven and I will see them again, what's so wrong with that?" Well nothing, just believe it but why do you also have to believe in Hell and a bunch of dumb creationist bullshit at the same time? It used to make me feel bad especially when my mom said it, so I'd just sit there and say "Well maybe there is a happy afterlife for us."

Now I just say "Well, there's no proof of Heaven, or God, or angels so your dead loved ones are just dead so you should probably treat them better and spend more time with them now because this may just be it." I'm sure there's a better answer but I just hate to destroy that fantasy, death is just tough.

I get your feelings. It's good that you don't want to "destroy" their hope, it means you're a decent person with empathy. But this doesn't mean you have to back down on your own "beliefs". I'd tell them that they're free to believe so, but you don't, so you can agree to disagree, if you want to end it. If they ask why you don't, then say that there is no evidence to support these claims.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
24-06-2016, 02:11 PM
(15-06-2016 06:56 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 06:33 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Most all theists stump me when they say out loud, what they really believe.
I am literally dumbfounded.

There are processes going on inside their brain that stump me.
It's like watching a river flow up a mountain.
I'm simply speechless, because I don't know how that is happening.

I agree, it's very difficult to continue a reasonable debate when someone starts spewing out nonsense about the rapture, miracles, prayers being answered and talking to God everyday. I mean it's tough to just say they are wrong or perhaps mentally imbalanced.
My brother wrote the other day warning me of the end of the world, hanging it on the coming money crisis in the USA. I wrote back to him and asked him to tell me where in the babble it says that there will be a dollar crisis before Jesus rappels down from the sky.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post