Atheistic Mysticism?!?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Atheistic Mysticism?!?!
Hey, everyone, I'm new to the site so first I wanna say just how awesome and relaxing it is so be around individuals who's brains are fully functional.

Now onto my issue: On my FaceBook, I will post atheistic quotes and videos from time to time and without fail, I will have a few religious friends who are just compelled to comment (although I don't disrespect them like this when they post religious dribble and Bible or Koran quotes on their pages). Anyway, they run in circles and go through psychological acrobatics, which is to be expected, but there's one guy (who I haven't yet de-friended), who keep insisting that because I deny god, then he must exist, that my atheism is just part of my personal, spiritual path, that atheisms can be believers (?) and that he was once an atheist mystic (which is not only ridiculous, but something that I know flat-out to be a lie). I have already been de-friended by 4 friends and 1 relative on FB, had one of my oldest friends tell me we could no longer be close and also had a Muslim friend tell me that not only does her religion have all the answers but that my life must be sad indeed, with no belief in heaven or hell. Seriously, I just wanna know why everyone is free to express their bullshit beliefs publicly, but when I express my non-belief, I am "looking to be saved" or being offensive? Are atheists not entitled to free speech?
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 06:46 PM

RE: Atheistic Mysticism?!?!
(26-05-2011 06:42 PM)haitianatheist Wrote:  Hey, everyone, I'm new to the site so first I wanna say just how awesome and relaxing it is so be around individuals who's brains are fully functional.

Now onto my issue: On my FaceBook, I will post atheistic quotes and videos from time to time and without fail, I will have a few religious friends who are just compelled to comment (although I don't disrespect them like this when they post religious dribble and Bible or Koran quotes on their pages). Anyway, they run in circles and go through psychological acrobatics, which is to be expected, but there's one guy (who I haven't yet de-friended), who keep insisting that because I deny god, then he must exist, that my atheism is just part of my personal, spiritual path, that atheisms can be believers (?) and that he was once an atheist mystic (which is not only ridiculous, but something that I know flat-out to be a lie). I have already been de-friended by 4 friends and 1 relative on FB, had one of my oldest friends tell me we could no longer be close and also had a Muslim friend tell me that not only does her religion have all the answers but that my life must be sad indeed, with no belief in heaven or hell. Seriously, I just wanna know why everyone is free to express their bullshit beliefs publicly, but when I express my non-belief, I am "looking to be saved" or being offensive? Are atheists not entitled to free speech?

Religious beliefs are definable. People know what to expect from you and what pet-peeves your religion dictates. Being an atheist renders people incapable of mapping your personality and gauging your reactions. Not knowing things makes one nervous. Being nervous makes one afraid. Being afraid makes one avoidant. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Celestus87's post
26-05-2011, 06:52 PM

(26-05-2011 06:46 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  
(26-05-2011 06:42 PM)haitianatheist Wrote:  Hey, everyone, I'm new to the site so first I wanna say just how awesome and relaxing it is so be around individuals who's brains are fully functional.

Religious beliefs are definable. People know what to expect from you and what pet-peeves your religion dictates. Being an atheist renders people incapable of mapping your personality and gauging your reactions. Not knowing things makes one nervous. Being nervous makes one afraid. Being afraid makes one avoidant. Dodgy

Wow. Very interesting outlooks. You're right, too! Thanks for the reply!
26-05-2011, 06:55 PM

(26-05-2011 06:52 PM)haitianatheist Wrote:  Wow. Very interesting outlooks. You're right, too! Thanks for the reply!

Glad to have been of help. Blush
29-11-2011, 06:44 PM
(26-05-2011 06:46 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  

It is preferable to realize that one does not Know much and play it by ear; preferable to be sure enough to be unsure. Avoidance from what? a sense of awe? perhaps?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2011, 06:59 PM
(26-05-2011 06:42 PM)haitianatheist Wrote:  Seriously, I just wanna know why everyone is free to express their bullshit beliefs publicly, but when I express my non-belief, I am "looking to be saved" or being offensive? Are atheists not entitled to free speech?

I think the problem here is the fact that religion is "mob mentality". When you express your non-belief, you're supporting a minority view, whereas they have power in numbers (Something like 75% of the population here in America). While non-belief isn't a new concept, the whole idea is still trying to gain traction while religion is a well-established part of human culture.
[+] 1 user Likes JingleBerry's post
29-11-2011, 09:10 PM
(29-11-2011 06:59 PM)JingleBerry Wrote:  
(26-05-2011 06:42 PM)haitianatheist Wrote:  Seriously, I just wanna know why everyone is free to express their bullshit beliefs publicly, but when I express my non-belief, I am "looking to be saved" or being offensive? Are atheists not entitled to free speech?

I think the problem here is the fact that religion is "mob mentality". When you express your non-belief, you're supporting a minority view, whereas they have power in numbers (Something like 75% of the population here in America). While non-belief isn't a new concept, the whole idea is still trying to gain traction while religion is a well-established part of human culture.

Hello Jingle Berry.
Welcome to the fray.
Yes Nietzsche used the term "herd mentality"
It may be best in some ways for slow movement.
29-11-2011, 09:18 PM
(29-11-2011 06:44 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  It is preferable to realize that one does not Know much and play it by ear; preferable to be sure enough to be unsure. Avoidance from what? a sense of awe? perhaps?

Copying this to the Poet's Corner so I don't lose it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
"Atheist mystic" is a contradiction in terms, in the manner of how these terms are understood. There is a big difference between understanding and definition. I am atheist by definition, which means atheism is my priority viewpoint concerning religion. As I age (which means learn, coming out of this unit), my views evolve; and I also am not afraid nor offended if others suggest my definition is in error. For instance, I am interested in Set, but I have no desire to forward a philosophy based off of Egyptian mythology at this time. If that should change, my handle will refelct this viewpoint and evolve from "atheist with tao" to "Setian."

It'll be sparkly. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user