Atheistic Relapses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
RE: Atheistic Relapses
Well this weekend I had a moment where I actually said "God, if you exist, give me a sign"... And I've honestly only done that maybe 3 times in my life. Less than 5 seconds later, the doorbell rings, and it was the Witnesses. I just figure 1 in 3 doesn't count.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
05-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I haven't relapsed since I became comfortable with my disbelief. There was probably a six month or so period after I stopped believing where I couldn't actually admit it to myself. I was afraid that if I said "I'm atheist" that I would cross that no-takesies-backsies line that gets you thrown into hell.

Once I became comfortable with the fact that I didn't believe, and that I was only worried about the Christian god because that's what I had always been worried about, it all fell into place. I mean, how much sleep had I lost about going to Muslim hell for not following the five pillars or Islam? How much had I worried about somehow pissing off the Flying Spaghetti Monster and getting flogged by his noodly appendages?

Once I threw Christian mythology in the bucket with all of the other mythologies, I stopped having those "relapses".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-12-2013, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 08:42 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
(02-12-2013 05:25 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Well this weekend I had a moment where I actually said "God, if you exist, give me a sign"... And I've honestly only done that maybe 3 times in my life. Less than 5 seconds later, the doorbell rings, and it was the Witnesses. I just figure 1 in 3 doesn't count.

Blink

that would have creeped me out……especially if that was 'god's answer'. A girl scout selling cookies would have been better choice than JW's, IMO. Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes….not so much that their is a god (that takes credit for the good), but an evil one - that just keeps throwing wrenches in the works (like with Chas's golf ball).

Then my rational brain decides to jump in on the fun and the conversation in my head goes something like this:

there is no god, no evil spirits- just relax.
maybe its just karma catching up with me for some nasty thing I did in the past?
the ol' 'what comes around, goes around' thing?
that's superstition- relax

but isn't there a positive/negative balance at work in chemistry, atoms, and electricity and other science/natural areas? maybe there is some positive/negative thing at play here that I just don't know about? Consider

usually at that point something else needs my attention and I forget about it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Nope. I go, dammit, Gwynnie! Then she's in my brain smiling at me, then I'm smiling, then the moment's over. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-12-2013, 08:51 AM
(05-12-2013 08:40 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Yes….not so much that their is a god (that takes credit for the good), but an evil one - that just keeps throwing wrenches in the works (like with Chas's golf ball).

Then my rational brain decides to jump in on the fun and the conversation in my head goes something like this:

there is no god, no evil spirits- just relax.
maybe its just karma catching up with me for some nasty thing I did in the past?
the ol' 'what comes around, goes around' thing?
that's superstition- relax

but isn't there a positive/negative balance at work in chemistry, atoms, and electricity and other science/natural areas? maybe there is some positive/negative thing at play here that I just don't know about? Consider

usually at that point something else needs my attention and I forget about it.

Good post.Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I would explain my problem(s) with God entering and exiting my life but we'd have to surgically remove Chippy from my ass. So I'll refrain.

cheers and best wishes for anyone who suffers from such

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Kind of funny, but I find that its the bad things in life that remind me there isn't a God. Because if there was one, surely he would step in and help eliminate some off the daily cruelty and violence done to his creation. But alas, only humanity can help humanity.
06-12-2013, 01:24 AM
I would agree with the premise of conditioning. Our language, culture, beliefs, fears, and passions are all formed around religious concepts. It's impossible to completely, surgically remove the concepts from our own minds, but perhaps with time these superstitions can be replaced with doubt, logic, and reasoning.

I had "relapsed" back and fourth for about a decade, then I started reading Dawkins and browsing the interwebs. The rest is history.