Atheistic arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: Atheistic arguments
(29-05-2015 02:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Atheism makes no claim outside of There is not enough evidence to prove their is a god. The end.

If that were true, I wouldn't be here Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 03:44 PM
(29-05-2015 03:43 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 02:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Atheism makes no claim outside of There is not enough evidence to prove their is a god. The end.

Then put forth evidence for what ever god you believe in already.
29-05-2015, 03:46 PM

let me guess...you're not actually going to provide evidence...like the 1500 idiots who have preceded you.
29-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Then you don't understand what atheism is. You are combining atheism with a lot of scientific and other claims that are not in any way related to the issue of atheism itself. Many atheists also buy into the current scientific consensus, not all do, but most. But this is NOT DEPENDENT ON ATHEISM.

There are scientists that accept the theories that you put forward that believe in god, and there are those that accept them that don't. Your claim that atheism is making these claims is bogus.

Atheism is simply the position that you have not demonstrated that god exists. If you want to compound other things with that and say that is atheism then you are lieing.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
29-05-2015, 03:48 PM
(29-05-2015 03:18 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  Hi, hddd

Glad you came here.

Just a question. Suppose we accept your arguments, what makes you think YOUR god is is the solution.

And could you give us an indication of which one it is?

I'm not trying to be secretive about which God I believe in or which Holy Book I've read. It's just that telling you which Holy Book I read will almost certainly derail this discussion since it will tell you precisely nothing about the reasoning I've used to arrive at my conclusions. On the other hand, it will load the discussion with a whole lot of presumptions about my thought process.

If everyone insists, I have no problem letting you know.

Anyway, the arguments I've made don't point to any particular God, so if you do accept my arguments, then you haven't ascribed to any religion. You've ascribed to a scientific conjecture about God.
29-05-2015, 03:51 PM
(29-05-2015 03:48 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  

Glad you came here.

Just a question. Suppose we accept your arguments, what makes you think YOUR god is is the solution.

I'm not trying to be secretive about which God I believe in or which Holy Book I've read. It's just that telling you which Holy Book I read will almost certainly derail this discussion since it will tell you precisely nothing about the reasoning I've used to arrive at my conclusions. On the other hand, it will load the discussion with a whole lot of presumptions about my thought process.

Anyway, the arguments I've made don't point to any particular God, so if you do accept my arguments, then you haven't ascribed to any religion. You've ascribed to a scientific conjecture about God.

Awesome, feel free to elaborate, I am going out to dinner, will check upon return, waiting with bated breath for your theory on proof of god.......good luck, may the force be with you.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
29-05-2015, 03:54 PM
(29-05-2015 03:23 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Gravity is easily proven, and doesn't require faith...god is not, and does require faith, as there is no evidence, if there was evidence it wouldnt require faith, it would just be fact.

My point was, I can't see gravity but have reasoned faith that "it's there" based on evidence. The evidence of God can't come completely from science, that much is a given. So I'm using a broader set of evidence, but evidence, logic and reasoning none-the-less. No one's suggesting that a reasoned faith in God ought to be easy.
29-05-2015, 03:56 PM
(29-05-2015 03:48 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  

Glad you came here.

You haven't actually made any arguments FOR god. You've set up straw arguments for atheism and shot them down (not very convincingly, by the way). Can you argue FOR God. It might help if you name him/her/it/them otherwise we might think you're arguing for Zeus/Osiris/Mithra.
29-05-2015, 03:59 PM
(29-05-2015 03:54 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 03:23 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Gravity is easily proven, and doesn't require faith...god is not, and does require faith, as there is no evidence, if there was evidence it wouldnt require faith, it would just be fact.

My point was, I can't see gravity but have reasoned faith that "it's there" based on evidence. The evidence of God can't come completely from science, that much is a given. So I'm using a broader set of evidence, but evidence, logic and reasoning none-the-less. No one's suggesting that a reasoned faith in God ought to be easy.

fair point. So where does it come from?
29-05-2015, 03:59 PM
(29-05-2015 03:47 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 03:43 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  If that were true, I wouldn't be here Smile

Then you don't understand what atheism is. You are combining atheism with a lot of scientific and other claims that are not in any way related to the issue of atheism itself. Many atheists also buy into the current scientific consensus, not all do, but most. But this is NOT DEPENDENT ON ATHEISM.

There are scientists that accept the theories that you put forward that believe in god, and there are those that accept them that don't. Your claim that atheism is making these claims is bogus.

Atheism is simply the position that you have not demonstrated that god exists. If you want to compound other things with that and say that is atheism then you are lieing.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Surely you aren't suggesting that atheists are some monolithic group of people sharing some common belief-set, namely yours? The arguments I've responded to are arguments I've heard from self-described atheists, so that's what I go on.