Atheistic arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 03:59 PM
RE: Atheistic arguments
(29-05-2015 03:54 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 03:23 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Gravity is easily proven, and doesn't require faith...god is not, and does require faith, as there is no evidence, if there was evidence it wouldnt require faith, it would just be fact.

My point was, I can't see gravity but have reasoned faith that "it's there" based on evidence. The evidence of God can't come completely from science, that much is a given. So I'm using a broader set of evidence, but evidence, logic and reasoning none-the-less. No one's suggesting that a reasoned faith in God ought to be easy.

Ok seriously... bring out evidence for your god/gods already.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 04:02 PM
(29-05-2015 03:59 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  I'm just calling it as I see it. Surely you aren't suggesting that atheists are some monolithic group of people sharing some common belief-set, namely yours? The arguments I've responded to are arguments I've heard from self-described atheists, so that's what I go on.

Atheists don't have a common belief-set. We share a non-belief. That's all.
29-05-2015, 04:05 PM
(29-05-2015 04:02 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 03:59 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  I'm just calling it as I see it. Surely you aren't suggesting that atheists are some monolithic group of people sharing some common belief-set, namely yours? The arguments I've responded to are arguments I've heard from self-described atheists, so that's what I go on.

Atheists don't have a common belief-set. We share a non-belief. That's all.

I'm using "belief" in the non-religious sense (i.e. what are your beliefs on abortion?). "Views" would fit better, except "views-set" doesn't really work.
29-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Did I say all atheists share my beliefs? Point to where I said that. I have gone out of my way to not say that. Atheism is one position on one issue, that's it. It would be like me claiming all theists support the death penalty.

The positions you have presented are those of scientifically literate people against the argument of special creation. Not all atheists accept these theories and not all theists reject them. Hell, when I was a theist I accepted them. So your assertion that they are tied up in atheism is STILL WRONG.
29-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Here you go, I provided a nice graphic I found, just for you. I made sure to find one with nice bright colors and with simple language.
[Image: zPmg3p4.png]

Most atheists you'll encounter are "agnostic atheist"

This is all that atheism is, it's just plain ignorant to add anything else. If you do(like you have in your OP) you're gonna get a lot of shit. Hopefully this will help you from any future embarrassment.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
29-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Atheistic arguments
Atheism is a disbelief in gods, including yours. That's it.

Now give us actual evidence and proof that your deity is the real one, unlike El Elyon (you know, the father of the Biblical god), Odin, Zeus, Ahuramazda, Marduk, Ra, Mithra, Brahma, Lugh (et al.), Bahamut, and so on.

Logically since these gods preceded yours, they have as much right to be taken seriously as yours.

To borrow from a meme, Odin promised to protect me from frost giants. Jesus claimed to a crowd they would see the end times.

I see no frost giants, yet the end times did not come.

The way I see it, theists have more to prove.
29-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Quote:The agnostic does not simply say, "l do not know." He goes another step, and he says, with great emphasis, that you do not know. He insists that you are trading on the ignorance of others, and on the fear of others. He is not satisfied with saying that you do not know, -- he demonstrates that you do not know, and he drives you from the field of fact -- he drives you from the realm of reason -- he drives you from the light, into the darkness of conjecture -- into the world of dreams and shadows, and he compels you to say, at last, that your faith has no foundation in fact.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

You can believe however much holy horseshit you like, pal. Ingersoll nailed your type over a century ago.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-05-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure where to go with this discussion tbh, a few posters are asking me to present evidence that God exists, as if it's something I can just sum it up in a few lines.

What I can say is that the reasoning behind my faith rests on aggregating a large set of observations, which individually would all be dismissed by science as coincidences, and combine it with my understanding of philosophy and logic, and ground it all down with an understanding of science. Obviously, since faith in God clearly lies outside the realm of science, such faith can't be scientifically proven. But from where I stand, the evidence is overwhelming, making it all but obvious, if not scientific.

Mostly though, I guess the idea of a scientific conjecture of God has interested me for a while now, and I'm just wondering to what extend this would be possible.
29-05-2015, 04:29 PM
(29-05-2015 02:18 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  First off, modern atheism is fundamentally flawed from the get-go because it attempts to deal in existential claims i.e. God does not exist, universe came to exist from nothing, etc.

You start right off demonstrating that you do not understand atheism or atheists.

First. some atheists claim that god does not exist but many, if not most, claim that there isn't evidence that god does exist. There is an important difference there: "I believe god does not exist" is not the same as "I do not believe that god exists". The first is a gnostic atheist, the second an agnostic atheist. All that is necessary to call yourself an atheist is to be unconvinced by the claims of theists.

Second, I've never met an atheist who claims that the universe came from nothing. Some certainly consider that a possibility but even those say the best answer we have is "we don't know". Perhaps the universe always existed in some form; perhaps there is a multiverse; perhaps there is something we haven't imagined... Not understanding how something happened is not carte blanche to invent supernatural causes that don't even resolve the issue. Claiming it must have been created by a god only moves the problem one step back to the question of who or what created the god.

GWG and others have already dismantled the rest of your strawmen. If you have evidence for a god, please present it. The only way to demonstrate that atheism is an incorrect view is to present solid evidence for an alternative. So far theists have been unable to do that as far as I'm concerned.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-05-2015, 04:29 PM
You can start by defining what your god is and providing this evidence. It would be a good start.