Atheistic arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 09:23 PM
RE: Atheistic arguments
I think he flunked out of Apologetics at Biola or Bible College, and had to go to Summer School. The first assignment was to go shoot down the atheists.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-05-2015, 09:26 PM
He's a fine example of voluntary retardation.
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
29-05-2015, 09:51 PM
(29-05-2015 07:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 03:54 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  My point was, I can't see gravity but have reasoned faith that "it's there" based on evidence. The evidence of God can't come completely from science, that much is a given. So I'm using a broader set of evidence, but evidence, logic and reasoning none-the-less. No one's suggesting that a reasoned faith in God ought to be easy.

What is your evidence? I suspect it doesn't qualify as evidence.

You don't have "reasoned faith". You have LEARNED with personal experience and personal observations that the Theory of Gravity is a reasonable explanation for how the world works. It does not involve "faith" AT ALL. Faith is the suspension of reason for religious reasons. Your intentionally dishonest (or just stupid) insertion of the word "faith" here which defies ANY disctionary definition of the word proves you are unable to think critically about the subject, or even know the definitions of the words you try to use.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-05-2015, 10:19 PM
(29-05-2015 09:01 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  In fact I clearly stated that there can be no scientific "proof" of God's existence. Science to me is just one leg of a larger stream of knowledge that makes evident the existence of God.

You use the word knowledge..... I'd be interested to hear what you mean by that in the context that you're using it.

How do we "know" something? If it can't be tested and verified, how do we "know" that it's real, or that it's something we should just accept as reality and go with it?

We don't. But there's something about our pattern/comfort seeking nature that makes us have to put a label on friggin' everything in order to satisfy our evolutionary OCD. We humans tend to overthink shit to a fault, and we both thrive and suffer because of it.

(29-05-2015 09:01 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  Having said that, the point of the OP was about atheism and science; namely how atheism often bases its existential arguments on scientific evidence which itself can't support existential theories.

Again, atheism isn't a thing that bases anything on anything. It's merely a strongly skeptical portion of one's worldview concerning the claim that there are intelligent supernatural entities that created and interact with our natural world. And I contend that there are very good reasons to hold such skepticism until something more than apologetics is offered in lieu of good evidence.

(29-05-2015 09:01 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  And I find it ironic that some of you are taking such offense at being compared to self-described atheists who's understanding might not be as nuanced as yourself, all the while lumping all "religionists" in one large delusional group of people.

I find it sad that you think we care what we think of your opinion, as it was evident from the OP that you have no intention of respecting, reflecting upon, or any consideration at all for us as just people. People that happen to hold a different worldview but are still very much the same people that you interact with every day.

It's sad that both the religious and the irreligious view each other in such similar ways....can both be right? I'd say yes. Given the anonymity and open platform of a forum like this, shit's bound to get ugly. It does so pretty often around here.

However, the absurdity is the beauty of it....so here I am.

I think that your problem is that you think you're coming here and challenging us as an "alternate worldview" as a theist on an atheist forum. Most of us here live in the world, and the world is overwhelmingly religious, so most of us here live in societies that are predominantly made up of people that are of the same mind as you as far as belief in god.

We're aware of your worldview, it surrounds us, a lot of us have shared it for most of our lives as well, we've been able to let it go for one reason or another and we're not sad, or mad, or evil or concerned about your concern for our souls. We're just people like you in the end, man.

I can handle and even respect someone who has to believe in something "more", given the absolutely amazing thing that our known existence is. I am also completely astounded by our world. However that belief is never a good reason to tell somebody else what to think or what they should believe. It's just not conducive to productive humanity.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
29-05-2015, 10:43 PM
(29-05-2015 03:16 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  dateline='1432932202']

Completely. But again, only one problem, from my perspective, the only perspective that counts for me, you're the one making the impossible, ridiculous and extraordinary claims. To me the existence of God is merely a logical conclusion of the evidence that I've decided to look at.

Right there bro. You just admitted you choose which evidence you look at. In the words of Yoda, "That, is why you fail".

Tou need to look at all available evidence and evaluate it, even if it contradicts your view. How are you to tell whether your evidence is any good? What if new evidence comes along? Do you choose not to evaluate it because you don't like thw implications?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
29-05-2015, 10:44 PM
By atheistic arguments I'm going to guess you meant rational arguments that back up their claims with evidence .

Faith is irrational because it meets the definition of irrational.

When you say that science has no way to explain things that don't exist, I'll have to agree with you.

Welcome to the forum and I'm pretty sure that you'll troll this fairly hard and then be gone in less than a week.

Gods don't exist and the moon is not the death star with a really good paint job.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
30-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Atheistic arguments
So you want us to scientifically defend our non-belief but refuse to defend your belief scientifically?
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
30-05-2015, 12:23 AM
(29-05-2015 04:26 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  ...
What I can say is that the reasoning behind my faith rests on aggregating a large set of observations, which individually would all be dismissed by science as coincidences,

I think this sums it up.

Circumstantial evidence ... god(s) found guilty of existing.

Atheists tend to find gods and goddesses not guilty of existing.

There's nothing wrong with expressing a personal opinion as long as one recognises that that's all it is.

Welcome to TTA.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-05-2015, 01:30 AM
(29-05-2015 03:54 PM)hddd12345678910 Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 03:23 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Gravity is easily proven, and doesn't require faith...god is not, and does require faith, as there is no evidence, if there was evidence it wouldnt require faith, it would just be fact.

My point was, I can't see gravity but have reasoned faith that "it's there" based on evidence. The evidence of God can't come completely from science, that much is a given. So I'm using a broader set of evidence, but evidence, logic and reasoning none-the-less. No one's suggesting that a reasoned faith in God ought to be easy.

But it is easy. One only must be indoctrinated and then everything look like evidence for favorite invisible friend existence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-05-2015, 05:42 AM
I am willing and genuinely open minded enough to give your assertions their due consideration, i still await the presentation. If you are getting overwhelmed with the plethora of facts and informed comments raining down on you, feel free to go to the coliseum sub forum, click boxing ring, new topic, and invite someone to a one on one conversation. Only Two can talk, all can watch. For example "I challenge GWG to a debate in the existence of God" or whomever or whatever you wish to discuss. No? Then enjoy your TTA experience as you wish. Expect derision when you make baseless posits lacking substantiation.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post