Atheistic evidence or criteria for proof of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Atheistic evidence or criteria for proof of God
Folks, this is likely a sock puppet of someone who's been here before.
I recognize the weirdness of the word use and arguments.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-12-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry, but the Buddha wasn't a god, and any Buddhist will tell you that, and therefore Buddhism is not deistic by its very definition.

The Buddha himself believed religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origins in fear.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
22-12-2013, 09:36 AM
(22-12-2013 01:11 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  a statue of Buddha is a deity and the statues exist...

solved?

[Image: great_buddha_statue.jpg]

Deities are depicted in a variety of forms, but are also frequently expressed as having human form.

I am a Buddhist, and your assumption is wrong. The Buddha was not a god - he was a teacher. His name was Siddharta Gautama. He had achieved a state of mind where he was truly at peace and content with himself, and tried to pass his teachings on to others. He taught all of his students differently, because everyone differs in personality and how they learn. There are many paths that one can take to get there. Those factors have to be taken into consideration with a student. Anybody can achieve this state of mind and become a Buddha (it means 'enlightened one'). There is no god status involved.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Compassion4Life's post
22-12-2013, 10:10 AM
(22-12-2013 09:18 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'm sorry, but the Buddha wasn't a god, and any Buddhist will tell you that, and therefore Buddhism is not deistic by its very definition.

The Buddha himself believed religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origins in fear.

Thank you for stating this. It is a part of Buddhism that is often misunderstood.
[+] 2 users Like Compassion4Life's post
22-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Right then.
You say you believe in Mod.
What are the qualities of Mod? What can Mod do? What does he/she/it look like? What is expected by Mod that its followers do in order to prove allegiance/worship/trust? What is forbidden by Mod and for what reasons?
How is it different from other divine beings? By how much? How do YOU know? What makes Mod a divine being that can't apply to Herakles or Wotan? Does the existence of Mod make other divine beings nonexistent or just irrelevant? If the very existence of Mod doesn't prevent Quetzalcoatl or Venus from existing, how do I tell which one is better or more relevant? Does the qualities of Mod making it a better or more relevant divine being for you apply to everyone on Earth and/or the entirety of the universe? And, again, how do you know everyone in the universe is supposed to believe in Mod or if they don't?
22-12-2013, 12:04 PM
(22-12-2013 07:14 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 01:52 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  what is proof of God?

As several atheists have already stated:
Evidence Equal to the Claim

If you continue preaching while ignoring the replies and you will be exiled to the dark and damp beneath your bridge.
ok... I got that far yes. I do understand.

so what's the claim again? I haven't made any statements about god except what I have heard others say.

I bring you no god, yes this is true.

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
22-12-2013, 12:08 PM
(22-12-2013 08:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Folks, this is likely a sock puppet of someone who's been here before.
I recognize the weirdness of the word use and arguments.

dude! don't even go there

can you attempt to answer the great riddle?

if not you might not want to run around everywhere calling everyone who doesn't agree with you a troll or whatever.

we're better than this... it's uncool.

Hands Of Dust
22-12-2013, 12:14 PM
(22-12-2013 09:36 AM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 01:11 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  a statue of Buddha is a deity and the statues exist...

solved?

[Image: great_buddha_statue.jpg]

Deities are depicted in a variety of forms, but are also frequently expressed as having human form.

I am a Buddhist, and your assumption is wrong. The Buddha was not a god - he was a teacher. His name was Siddharta Gautama. He had achieved a state of mind where he was truly at peace and content with himself, and tried to pass his teachings on to others. He taught all of his students differently, because everyone differs in personality and how they learn. There are many paths that one can take to get there. Those factors have to be taken into consideration with a student. Anybody can achieve this state of mind and become a Buddha (it means 'enlightened one'). There is no god status involved.

this is noble, very admirable... Buddha certainly exists and Buddhism is theistic.

the thread can be about any religion or god really, there are so many versions of them it's alot of times hard to take in.

Is a statue all the evidence you need that Buddha exists? it is not so confusing for the masses I believe.

I have nothing against Buddha or his statue... my neighbor has one.

Hands Of Dust
22-12-2013, 12:21 PM
(22-12-2013 12:14 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 09:36 AM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  I am a Buddhist, and your assumption is wrong. The Buddha was not a god - he was a teacher. His name was Siddharta Gautama. He had achieved a state of mind where he was truly at peace and content with himself, and tried to pass his teachings on to others. He taught all of his students differently, because everyone differs in personality and how they learn. There are many paths that one can take to get there. Those factors have to be taken into consideration with a student. Anybody can achieve this state of mind and become a Buddha (it means 'enlightened one'). There is no god status involved.

this is noble, very admirable... Buddha certainly exists and Buddhism is theistic.

the thread can be about any religion or god really, there are so many versions of them it's alot of times hard to take in.

Is a statue all the evidence you need that Buddha exists? it is not so confusing for the masses I believe.

I have nothing against Buddha or his statue... my neighbor has one.

Why do you keep repeating this? You have told by a Buddhist that Buddha was not a god and Buddhism is not theistic.

Are you just fucking stupid?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-12-2013, 12:24 PM
(22-12-2013 12:14 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  Buddhism is theistic.

I used to hold to the claim that Buddhism was non-theistic, but that statement is both true and untrue. As is most concepts within Buddhism, making it a veritably complex system that most often makes no logical sense.

Something I stumbled upon:

Quote:You often see the claim made that Buddhism is a non-theistic religion. As is often the case, however, things are never quite so simple. There are ways in which the claim is true, ways in which it’s untrue, and even ways in which it’s just quasi-true. It makes my head hurt just to think about it.

The claim of Non-theism is true in the sense that there is no God in Buddhism who is a Creator, Judge, or Deity-in-Charge. In Buddhist cosmology the universe has always just existed and is continually evolving and devolving based on causes and conditions. There’s no First Cause or Prime Mover setting the machinery in motion. In addition, the fate of human beings is determined by their own actions in accord with the laws of karma. There’s no Divine Intercessor putting one’s merits and demerits onto a permanent record card that follows one around over countless lifetimes.

The claim of Non-theism is not completely true because the Buddhist suttas and sutras make reference to all sorts of supernatural beings who inhabit the universe, from ghosts, demi-gods, devas, and brahmās to celestial buddhas and bodhisattvas.

http://www.existentialbuddhist.com/2011/...-theistic/