Atheistic evidence or criteria for proof of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: Atheistic evidence or criteria for proof of God
(22-12-2013 01:52 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 01:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You really need to provide a citation for that bullshit.

no need to be closed minded,

Then stop being closed-minded. Here, have a nice delicious bowl of Qualia Soup:

Quote:am I correct in assuming we're all adults here?

Most of us are, I'm not so sure about you.

Quote:You can research eastern philosophy which is wholly different than our own and has coexisted with our own, and is compatible with our own.

That's really funny, because I have an I'm schooling you on it.

Quote:I am not here to teach or preach... I am here to seek.

I don't believe you.

Quote:if you are an atheists can you enlighten me today?

what is proof of God?

What part of "EVIDENCE" have you been missing when everyone on the forum tells you?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 08:15 PM
(22-12-2013 02:01 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  I seek a definition from someone who does not believe in theism.

Here ya go: Fairy-tale monster.

22-12-2013, 08:20 PM
(22-12-2013 02:51 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 02:42 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Buddhism is known as an atheistic religion because it has no gods. Buddha is not a deity.

Buddhism is theistic... atheism has been trying to claim it though.

OK, now you are just trolling bullshit.

Quote:so this is thrown out of the mix.

a statue of Buddha is a deity and the statues do exist.

That's bullshit.

Quote:therefore deities exist.

That's stupid.

atheism has been trying to claim Neil Tyson for awhile too, and Neil was one of my greatest influences to the cause of atheism and had me almost dead set on choosing a belief of the three I see as the inception or the mouth of the rabbit hole.

of course until he made this video, just threw me back in limbo!

[/quote]

22-12-2013, 08:23 PM
(22-12-2013 03:24 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  hey friend... look into it yourself, but Buddhism is theistic.

I have studied the Buddha's teachings extensively and you are full of shit.

22-12-2013, 08:30 PM
(22-12-2013 12:24 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 12:14 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  Buddhism is theistic.

I used to hold to the claim that Buddhism was non-theistic, but that statement is both true and untrue. As is most concepts within Buddhism, making it a veritably complex system that most often makes no logical sense.

The Buddha used peoples' extant beliefs as teaching devices. He did not believe in such things.

Quote:Something I stumbled upon:

Quote:You often see the claim made that Buddhism is a non-theistic religion. As is often the case, however, things are never quite so simple. There are ways in which the claim is true, ways in which it’s untrue, and even ways in which it’s just quasi-true. It makes my head hurt just to think about it.

The claim of Non-theism is true in the sense that there is no God in Buddhism who is a Creator, Judge, or Deity-in-Charge. In Buddhist cosmology the universe has always just existed and is continually evolving and devolving based on causes and conditions. There’s no First Cause or Prime Mover setting the machinery in motion. In addition, the fate of human beings is determined by their own actions in accord with the laws of karma. There’s no Divine Intercessor putting one’s merits and demerits onto a permanent record card that follows one around over countless lifetimes.

The claim of Non-theism is not completely true because the Buddhist suttas and sutras make reference to all sorts of supernatural beings who inhabit the universe, from ghosts, demi-gods, devas, and brahmās to celestial buddhas and bodhisattvas.

http://www.existentialbuddhist.com/2011/...-theistic/

That's a BLOG post, for crying out loud. The "supernatural beings" mentioned in various suttas are strictly allegorical, or hijacked extant beliefs being used as teaching tools.

22-12-2013, 08:35 PM
@ the OP
I'm an atheist, but a fairly new one.
I didn't think up this answer, but I like it.... If God wanted to convince me He existed, then He obviously knows what that would take.
As far as being convinced that God was communicating with a group of people through some world religion? They'd obviously have to stand out in some way. None do.

If God existed, His existence would be obvious to all.
22-12-2013, 08:38 PM
(22-12-2013 01:28 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  Buddhism is a religion and a religious practice

let's leave those poor folks out of this, can't they get no peace?

if atheism is non theistic and Buddhism is non theistic then what is the deal here?

The deal here is that you made a false claim about Buddhism and refused to give it up when shown your error, and now you are getting a reality check.

23-12-2013, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 12:23 AM by λάθε βιώσας.)
(22-12-2013 03:22 PM)kim Wrote:  What is it to you how someone else defines anything?

If you seek something that most people here don't believe well then, you are on your own.

This is a very important question I do not think most realize?

Again the answer has to be so simplistic, not more than a sentence or a single word long.

What is the criteria which must be met to prove God?

This can only come from non-believers and their sect, the likes of Richard Dawkins, Hitchens or Harris.

This is a very simple question... what is satisfactory evidence?

If I should provide multiple choice options again let me know...

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
23-12-2013, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 12:43 AM by λάθε βιώσας.)
(22-12-2013 03:33 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I haven't read anything in the thread except for the OP, so no doubt what I'm about to say has already been said in one way or another.

1. Agnosticism doesn't answer the same question as theism or atheism, so you are wrong to think it's a substitute for (and therefore explicitly separate from) theism and atheism.

2. There are many different god claims, and often, with many of those god claims come a whole host of other claims. Different claims often require different evidence.

this site says "thinking atheist"

an atheist does not believe in theism (a specific theism I am really not concerned with)

what we have on planet earth is a global majority of theists (who cares what kind of theists?)

if there was some sort of mock trial or suddenly we were thrust back into the inquisition days, any good defense lawyer would want to know what it would take to have atheists believe what the majority believes?

only the hardline atheists whom I would represent could give me this data... and I may be able to protect them with it, spare them the crucifixion and maybe have them excommunicated or something?

or in more recent terms... even Sir Flinders Petrie got sympathy amongst the Arabs and was the first who measured the Pyramids, in a Tutu dress! ...because Muslims have a certain sympathy or understanding for people who are different or like we say "challenged individuals"

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
23-12-2013, 12:34 AM
(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  If I am ever going to be a bonafide non-believer I first need to know what it is I don't believe in.

No one cares what you do or do not believe in.

(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  This is a very important question I do not think most realize?

Is that a statement?
If so, why did you end it with a question mark?

(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  Again the answer has to be so simplistic, not more than a sentence or a single word long.
Well then, it sounds as if you have some answer to some question that no one but you gives a shit about.

(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  What is the criteria which must be met to prove God?

I wouldn't know, I don't believe there is a god and wouldn't care if there was one. It is irrelevant to my life.

(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  This can only come from non-believers and their sect, the likes of Richard Dawkins, Hitchens or Harris.

There is no "sect" of "non-believers" - non-belief is non-belief; it has nothing to do with belief. I see you are another one in a string of idiots who actually thinks that being without faith is a religion. Are you prepubescent?

(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  This is a very simple question!

You haven't asked a question.

(23-12-2013 12:12 AM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  If I should provide multiple choice options again let me know...

You are under some assumption that anyone here is taking you seriously. Probably a good idea for you to just fuck off.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein