Atheists And The Moon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM
RE: Atheists And The Moon
(03-05-2013 01:28 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Abraham didn't kill his son and both testaments explain he knew God had his back, even to being able to raise Issac from the dead if needed.

How was it a test if he knew god had his back and would raise Issac from the dead? The whole biblical concept of 'sacrifice' and Jesus is lost on me. I consider giving something up and not getting it back true sacrifice. How is a few days of being dead, followed by an ascension to your dad's eternal paradise, a sacrifice? And if that sort of suffering was meant to forgive humanity, why does suffering still exist? What is the point of others suffering as badly as Jesus, without getting to rise from the dead after a few days? Doesn't that kind of diminish his story?

'Non-divine' humans suffer worse fates than Jesus for no reason at all.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
03-05-2013, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 03:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Actually SexuallyPleasingJebus knows next to nothing about the Bible.
The "Ram in the Thicket" was a common myth in the ancient Near East.
It's where the editors/redactors got the "Abraham slaying Isaac" motif.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_in_a_Thicket
The Hebrews did not believe in immortality, (as Pleasy has forgotten he admitted elsewhere), so "raising Isaac" would be meaningless.
The entire episode was, of course, mythological.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
(03-05-2013 07:05 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Listen to the hopelessness of atheist Sam Harris...

So you have to ask the atheist: "Richard Dawkins, why do you work so hard?...

Richard Dawkins is also known for stating "Even if it were true that we need God to be moral, it would of course not make God's existence more likely, merely more desirable
(many people cannot tell the difference)" (from The God Delusion, page 231). The argument made by the apologist that you quoted is merely that Christianity is more desirable, not that it is true. Would you be happier with a pleasant delusion or an unhappy truth? I would guess, because you are a Christian and because you quoted this apologist, that you prefer the pleasant delusion. Stick with it then. I prefer the truth, even if it is "hopeless".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Starcrash's post
04-05-2013, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 04:57 AM by houseofcantor.)
Tell 'im, Starcrash. Thumbsup

And it is funny how those that insist God is necessary for morality end up having less morality. That Craig character comes to mind. What I contend is that what we all share is a moral paradigm (like my Gwynnies Heart ) that keeps us out of trouble.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Atheists And The Moon
I wonder what astronauts are going to say when they get to Uranus.
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
(05-05-2013 03:38 PM)KVron Wrote:  I wonder what astronauts are going to say when they get to Uranus.

I don't know but I hope they don't find any Klingons.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 3 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
05-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Well, now that we've finally ventured past the Moon and made it to Uranus... Dodgy

A nice musical interlude might clear the atmosphere a bit. Wink Sha la la

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
(03-05-2013 10:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Please Jesus" sounds like some kinda sexual moan.

Why do you think BuddyChrist named him SexuallyPleasingJebus, a few months ago ?

Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-05-2013, 04:58 AM
(05-05-2013 09:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 10:32 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Please Jesus" sounds like some kinda sexual moan.

Why do you think BuddyChrist named him SexuallyPleasingJebus, a few months ago ?

Dodgy

'Cause... I'm slow? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
06-05-2013, 07:10 AM
(03-05-2013 03:02 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 01:28 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Abraham didn't kill his son and both testaments explain he knew God had his back, even to being able to raise Issac from the dead if needed.

How was it a test if he knew god had his back and would raise Issac from the dead? The whole biblical concept of 'sacrifice' and Jesus is lost on me. I consider giving something up and not getting it back true sacrifice. How is a few days of being dead, followed by an ascension to your dad's eternal paradise, a sacrifice? And if that sort of suffering was meant to forgive humanity, why does suffering still exist? What is the point of others suffering as badly as Jesus, without getting to rise from the dead after a few days? Doesn't that kind of diminish his story?

'Non-divine' humans suffer worse fates than Jesus for no reason at all.

Um, I have a son and know how I'd feel sacrificing him. The Bible reports that Abraham thought about it for three days before he "got it" as I understand it.

Do what you should with all Bible stories and consider what you would do in the situation.