Atheists Giving "Thanks"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Atheists Giving "Thanks"
I must admit, atheist that I am I still like the idea of being thankful for the things we have. Though maybe "thanks" isn't really the right term. That carries all sorts of connotations of things being "given" to us and brings in the whole higher power thing. I guess I prefer to think of it not so much as having received something or being thankful TO anybody in particular as simply acknowledging how lucky I am in a gigantic universe which owes me no happiness, to find myself with the people and things I'm fortunate enough to have. Maybe I'm more appreciative or humble before the vastness of time than "thankful" really. But maybe that's just splitting hairs.

I'm thankful that my kids are healthy and happy. I'm thankful that my wife doesn't exactly agree with my views on "god" but nevertheless thinks they're valuable and well-founded views and shares my distaste for religion and doesn't want to raise our kids with any faith in particular. I'm thankful to have a job that pays well enough for us to be safe and comfortable. I'm thankful to live in a country that (for the time being) favors the separation of church and state. I'm thankful not to live in a war zone. I'm thankful that despite some bad health problems my 87-year-old grandmother is still with us and able to make her pumpkin pie for at least one more Thanksgiving.

What are you "thankful" for?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Mr. Boston's post
24-11-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: Atheists Giving "Thanks"
I'm thankful for a roof over my head even though I hate these snobby fuckers where I currently live Wink I am thankful that all my animals are happy and healthy and safe from abuse after I rescued them. I am also thankful for my friends and family and that everyone is healthy and doing well. I am thankful for cooking sites since I can't cook at all and am hoping and praying to FSM that everything comes out cooked okay on Thanksgiving. I am thankful for yoga because it helps keep me from going Hobo I'm thankful for nature so I can recharge my batteries. And I'm thankful for TTA and all you TTAers--it is so nice to have a community of support, a place away from all the religious bullshit. Heart
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
24-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm thankful for not being in a country we're being an Atheist is an automatic death sentence. That I live in a time and place where food and medicine are easily accessible. That I wasn't born with a disfigurement that would make my life harder to live. That I have a famliy that cares about me, and are always there to support me in the choices i make.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
24-11-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm thankful for this place -- my forum family keeps me sane. Smile

I'm thankful for so much I couldn't begin to list all.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-11-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm thankful that I celebrated Thanksgiving in October, when it wasn't snowing ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
24-11-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm thankful for today! You never know if there will be a tomorrow.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 1 user Likes OhDannyBoy's post
24-11-2015, 05:13 PM
This is the day that the earth's rotation has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. Smile

I'm thankful for this forum, which gives me a place to chill after a stressful day at work. Happy thanksgiving, everybody Smile
Here, I'll share this humble pie with you guys.
[Image: humblepiegigham.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
24-11-2015, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 05:52 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
I'm thankful that I live in a safe neighborhood in a decent part of the U.S., and that I don't have a terrible family, even though there may be some big issues. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
24-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Thankful for my wonderful husband and son, my students, and music.
24-11-2015, 06:08 PM
I am thankful that I am still here. YMMV

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF