Poll: Do you support the right to bear arms?
Yes
No
Keep Hunting Rifles Only
Pistols but not AR(s) + 3
Assualt Rifles + 3 & 4
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 08:09 AM
RE: Atheists; Gun Rights Acknowledgement
(23-04-2014 07:45 AM)Banjo Wrote:  When you have to begin a post with those words, you're in trouble Jesse.

Also I am not anti gun. I was hunting pigs and roos professionally when I was 11. I got paid per skin.

I am not emotionally invested in your nation's issues. To me it is just a movie.

I don't see how those words put me in trouble. Unfortunately that's how a lot of gun owners are viewed. Just like atheists are viewed as despicable people. I've started plenty of sentences with 'we're not evil...'.

And the post wasn't directed at you. I read your posts about hunting, so I assume you have a pretty good working knowledge of firearms. There are plenty of other antigun members here...and some of the posts are a little silly.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
23-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Yeah call people ignorant whom you wish to engage in conversation.

How's that workin' out for ya??

(23-04-2014 07:58 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 07:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I did not say it was a good movie.

Jeez who have I got there, Louis C.K.

Lighten up.

You have someone who is passionate about gun rights here.

If you don't have any interest in learning about our gun culture, that's fine. Just don't expect me to stand by idly while I see ignorance about it. We are not the nutters that people from other countries make us out to be, and I will stand here and educate anyone who is willing to learn. If you are not, then politely bow out of the conversation and leave it be.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-04-2014, 08:15 AM
(23-04-2014 08:01 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 08:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  .... It's not like I tried to engage a conversation or anything...

Oops, sorry. What specifically are you curious about?

It's not a specific curiosity; I just mentioned that despite having spoken with a a fair few Americans on the subject of guns, I have never understood the whole idea of the 'gun obsession'.

The whole concept just seems alien to me.

So; general statements on that strange culture of yours?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-04-2014, 08:15 AM
(23-04-2014 08:11 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah call people ignorant whom you wish to engage in conversation.

How's that workin' out for ya??

(23-04-2014 07:58 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  You have someone who is passionate about gun rights here.

If you don't have any interest in learning about our gun culture, that's fine. Just don't expect me to stand by idly while I see ignorance about it. We are not the nutters that people from other countries make us out to be, and I will stand here and educate anyone who is willing to learn. If you are not, then politely bow out of the conversation and leave it be.

Ignorance should not be something to be ashamed of. Everyone is ignorant of many things. Having the opportunity to cure yourself of ignorance and refusing it IS something to be ashamed of. I have apologized for any offense my statement may have caused, I can do no more to rectify the situation. Now, again, if you would like to gain some knowledge, I will educate you. If, as you say, you have no such interest, please leave the conversation for people who are willing to learn.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
23-04-2014, 08:32 AM
(23-04-2014 08:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 08:01 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Oops, sorry. What specifically are you curious about?

It's not a specific curiosity; I just mentioned that despite having spoken with a a fair few Americans on the subject of guns, I have never understood the whole idea of the 'gun obsession'.

That is an incredibly broad topic and kind of a loaded question. Using the term "obsession" is disingenuous. We are not obsessed with guns, it only seems that way due to media coverage and our movies. We enjoy guns, gun rights, and shooting sports. We don't cuddle our AR15s at night or lovingly kiss them goodnight. They are, at best, a secondary or tertiary aspect of most American's lives. Aside from those who make a living with guns (i.e. professional competitive shooters), most American gun owners' lives do not revolve around guns.

Now, on the topic of our fondness of guns.

Guns are tools. No more, no less. For me, they are a tool for sport, recreation, and self defense. This is true of many americans to varying degrees. The vast, overwhelming use of guns in this country is at a shooting range. It is a fantastic stress relief and a fun way to compete with people.

Outside of sport shooting, self defense is the second most common use of guns in america. More people defend themselves every year with guns than are assaulted with guns. By a very large margin. The lowest estimates of defensive gun use in this country is around 800,000 annually. The amount of violent crimes committed with a gun was half that amount.

For me, it boils down to this. I am 5'4" 160lbs. I am not a match for even a single other male of average size in a fight, let alone the three men that cornered me by my car. Carrying a gun does wonders for shifting the balance of power in a situation like that. Had I not been armed, those three men could have easily overpowered me, beat me, and stolen everything I had. The simple fact that I was armed was enough to send three large men running from me. That simply would not have happened if I was unarmed.

It's like a seatbelt. Every time I get in my car, I put my seatbelt on just in case the incredibly rare occasion happens where I am in an accident. I don't intend on getting in an accident because I put my seatbelt on, I am simply ensuring that I am protected in the unlikely event that a collision occurs. The same goes for my gun. When I leave the house, I have it with me. Not because I'm looking for trouble or I think I might get into trouble. I have it there for the unlikely event that someone tries to mug me or carjack me.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
23-04-2014, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2014 08:42 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
(23-04-2014 08:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 08:01 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Oops, sorry. What specifically are you curious about?

Just my opinion, but I feel it stems from our history of fighting for independence. As a nation we fought for it, but it was also a very personal one as well. That each person could live as they wish--and defend their right to do so. It also goes back to a time when we were settling a new land- while there were Native Americans here before us--we were also explorers to a new world. Farms were spread out, you had to be self sufficient, including your defense. For many- it was and STILL IS a way to put food on their table for their families. Then it becomes tradition and a part of the culture.

If you go thru Pennsylvania, once you are 10 miles outside of the city, most every kid is raised to go hunting & fishing. The first day of buck (deer) season and the first day of trout season are school holidays....because the kids and teachers won't be there. Its the same thru WV, OH, NY, MN and many other places. Some is for sport, but most of those families will keep that meat for themselves. Many places have communities to donate to food banks too. This isn't just a localized thing.

Earlier in the thread there was a comment about Stark & his skunk and calling a pest service....and simply its bad economics. $50-$75 for someone to arrive with a trap (which can be cruel and inhumane to animal) or a relocation trap (give the headache to someone else) vs $2 for a bullet for a rodent.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
23-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Mate seriously. To me you will always be, "The Creationist!"

Life is too short.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-04-2014, 08:44 AM
(23-04-2014 08:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Mate seriously. To me you will always be, "The Creationist!"

Life is too short.

Before I just assumed that you are ignorant. Now you have proven it.

Life is too short, and it can be made a lot shorter by people who are more powerful than you. Did you even read my story about preventing a mugging? I don't know what the end result of that mugging may have been had I not been armed. I may have just ended up in the hospital, I may have ended up in the morgue. But, thanks to my gun, I will never know what the end result may have been.

Dismissing people's arguments and views is much more like a creationist than someone who is actively engaging in conversation and attempting to educate people on their views. You, sir, are the creationist in this argument. Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la, I can't hear you".

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
23-04-2014, 08:50 AM
(23-04-2014 08:32 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 08:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It's not a specific curiosity; I just mentioned that despite having spoken with a a fair few Americans on the subject of guns, I have never understood the whole idea of the 'gun obsession'.

That is an incredibly broad topic and kind of a loaded question. Using the term "obsession" is disingenuous. We are not obsessed with guns, it only seems that way due to media coverage and our movies. We enjoy guns, gun rights, and shooting sports. We don't cuddle our AR15s at night or lovingly kiss them goodnight. They are, at best, a secondary or tertiary aspect of most American's lives. Aside from those who make a living with guns (i.e. professional competitive shooters), most American gun owners' lives do not revolve around guns.

The apostrophes around "'gun obsession'" were supposed to indicate a form of sarcasm...

(23-04-2014 08:32 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Now, on the topic of our fondness of guns.

Guns are tools. No more, no less. For me, they are a tool for sport, recreation, and self defense. This is true of many americans to varying degrees. The vast, overwhelming use of guns in this country is at a shooting range. It is a fantastic stress relief and a fun way to compete with people.

Outside of sport shooting, self defense is the second most common use of guns in america. More people defend themselves every year with guns than are assaulted with guns. By a very large margin. The lowest estimates of defensive gun use in this country is around 800,000 annually. The amount of violent crimes committed with a gun was half that amount.

For me, it boils down to this. I am 5'4" 160lbs. I am not a match for even a single other male of average size in a fight, let alone the three men that cornered me by my car. Carrying a gun does wonders for shifting the balance of power in a situation like that. Had I not been armed, those three men could have easily overpowered me, beat me, and stolen everything I had. The simple fact that I was armed was enough to send three large men running from me. That simply would not have happened if I was unarmed.

It's like a seatbelt. Every time I get in my car, I put my seatbelt on just in case the incredibly rare occasion happens where I am in an accident. I don't intend on getting in an accident because I put my seatbelt on, I am simply ensuring that I am protected in the unlikely event that a collision occurs. The same goes for my gun. When I leave the house, I have it with me. Not because I'm looking for trouble or I think I might get into trouble. I have it there for the unlikely event that someone tries to mug me or carjack me.

I understand the self defence, though I do wonder how it gets to the point where that's a concern...

So, how do you feel about restrictions on firearms?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-04-2014, 08:58 AM
(23-04-2014 08:50 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, how do you feel about restrictions on firearms?

Wont do any good, as only law abiding people will be restricted. Criminals will not care one way or the other.

Point in case, during the height of the drug cartels in SE Florida, you could find an Uzi within minutes.... fully auto, and illegal as hell.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post